View Full Version : Any experience stiffening leather? Epoxy, etc?

Query
08-16-2010, 01:39 PM
I have a pair of Klingbeil custom dance boots that have become too soft to provide adequate support. I don't jump much, but there isn't much resistance at all at the limits of my safe range of motion, and they even give a little on deep edges. (It's partly my fault. I worked hard to break them in, after about 7 years of pain.)

Skate boots that are more than one layer thick are usually stiffened by removing the stitching that holds the layers of leather together, replacing the plastic, foam or other stiffening layers between them, and re-stitching it back together. Klingbeil usually charges $85, plus shipping, quite reasonable compared to the cost of new boots.

But because my boots are over 10 years old, and have seen a few thousand hours use, Klingbeil isn't eager to work on them. The lady on the phone said they fear the leather could fall apart, and would usually refuse to work on boots that old.

Perhaps I could convince them otherwise if I drove the 5 or 6 hours each way to go to the factory in person and showed them the boots - the leather is soft, but not appreciably broken down. Or perhaps not. Or I could ship it and hope.

There is one local boot fiiter/technician who might work on them - he is the only person outside the factory I know who de-stitches and re-stitches boots. But if the Klingbeil people are right, perhaps the leather is too soft for that to be a good idea.

So I am considering alternatives.

There is not enough room inside the boot to stiffen it by gluing in another layer of leather. The boots are too snug on top, in such a way that removing the insoles would not create enough space. That's also a pretty difficult thing to do right, without creating ridges and creases that cut into your skin - especially if you use a stiff enough leather to do the job.

Perhaps I could infuse the leather of the boot with something that will stiffen it. My boots have no lining, so the leather layer on the inside is directly accessible, though I’m sure it has salt (from sweat) and oil. The leather layer on the outside is covered in black polish and perhaps a primer; maybe that should be sanded off? Or would it come off with paint remover?

Water is one of the most widely recommended leather stiffeners. But skates are athletic shoes, and have to bend, so I think they would be too likely to crack if stiffened by water. Anyway, they have already seen some sweat.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/medieval-leather/message/54 talks about a very old technique, in which you gradually work in wax plus pine pitch. It says that can be as hard as wood.

Perhaps a more modern technique would use a glue or resin such as a thin epoxy? I'm not sure it would penetrate deep enough. Skates use leather much thicker than most boots, and the plastic or foam between the leather layers limits penetration from both sides. I’ve had limited success even working in leather conditioner.

I guess almost any stiffening agent would completely remove the breathability of the boot. I doubt skates breath much, and my feet don't generate all that much sweat, but given that there is no liner, there isn’t much other way to get rid of sweat, other than the small amount carried away by the thin socks I use.

Are there any leather crafters or epoxy experts out there who could give me the benefit of their experience? The above discussion group is supposed to be only for discussion of methods used through renaissance times, so they probably wouldn't welcome this kind of question.

Yes I know: it is just barely conceivable it is time for new boots (horrors!). These never fit right, possibly because the wrong local person did the fit. But I'm stubborn. I put a lot of work into making them last this long. It would be "wrong" :D to surrender :giveup: now, and I can't afford what I really want. Besides, I have this crazy dream of making my own perfectly fit synthetic boots, but am not yet ready.

And Yes I know: Some ice dancers happily skate in boots that have become as supple as gloves. But I'm not that good, and need all the help I can get.