View Full Version : Knee gaskets? Mechanical aids?

Query
06-26-2010, 09:02 AM
In another thread (http://skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=31135&highlight=knee+gaskets), RachelSk8er mentioned devices called "knee gaskets", apparently a type of knee brace.

I think they are primarily designed to stabilize and cushion the kneecap, but they might help the knee support the skaters weight, and store energy for strokes and jumps.

If not, one could easily design a device to do so. I.e., just place an elastic material extending vertically across the front surface of the knee, and find a way to attach it, above and below, with straps, or a cylindrical surface you thread the leg through. The result would act like a shock absorber. If it is designed in such a way it doesn't abrade the skin, cut off circulation, move the kneecap out of safe position, abrade cartilage or create excessive friction, I can't think of any disadvantage.

But it would would give a huge "unfair" advantage to anyone using them. Not only would the skater need less endurance and jump higher, but people without the strength to support nice low sit spins could do them with an elastic brace. An elastic line could easily help stretch skaters into positions like spirals and splits.

If you take this to it's logical extension, you could use complicated systems of motors or solenoids and pulleys, to effectively make a person "bionic". You could even add a mechanical or electronic computation device, and pre-program movement sequences.

(Pre-programmed movement and analysis devices would probably make excellent teaching devices - and ought to exist - but for test and competition purposes, they are surely unfair.)

I haven't read the entire USFSA or ISU rulebooks, but I couldn't find any mention of mechanical aids and devices.

Are there any rules against any of these things?

If not, they better make some!

There is a sticky area. How do you distinguish between medically required orthotics (the general definition being any device that aids body motion) and mechanical aids? Significant energy storage and powered devices are good criteria, but on a small scale, any material stores some energy when placed under stress. Stretchy clothing like tights does that a little too - make tights thicker in the right places, and they would do the job - and it would be hard to detect.

P.S. As far as I know, internally installed mechanisms on the order of those used in the TV shows "Bionic Man" and "Bionic Woman" are beyond current medical technology, especially if you want direct nerve linkage, but the devices just suggested are extremely plausible using current technology.

A good technician could probably make simple external ones on the order of what I suggest in a few days or weeks, and someone like me could program simple computer aided systems in a few weeks or months. For simplicity, substitute sensed pressure from or tension in muscles for direct nerve linkage.

And the simplest stretchy material thing across the knee thing - a seamstress could probably make one in under an hour. In fact, I think some of the "knee gaskets" look like they already do that.

---

Any thoughts? Anyone know the rules better than me about mechanical aids?