View Full Version : jackson competitor skate

falen
06-24-2010, 07:35 PM
Is this skate discontinued? It is not on the Jackson website and the shop is selling them really discounted.

sk8tmum
06-24-2010, 08:29 PM
Yes, it is discontinued. Here's a link to the new Jackson line:

http://www.jacksonultima.com/en/Index.aspx?category=Dws5ZBOiVDTEN1a2b3c4d5eRm2dSI1 a2b3c4d5eQ1A2B3C4D5E1A2B3C4D5E

isakswings
06-24-2010, 09:45 PM
Yes, it is discontinued. Here's a link to the new Jackson line:

http://www.jacksonultima.com/en/Index.aspx?category=Dws5ZBOiVDTEN1a2b3c4d5eRm2dSI1 a2b3c4d5eQ1A2B3C4D5E1A2B3C4D5E

Do you know which model replaced the competitor? Is it the Elite 2900(I think that is the model)? Hmmm... dd is in a Competitor now and I was going to keep her in the same boot next yr! I guess we will cross that bridge when it is time!

sk8tmum
06-24-2010, 10:04 PM
Elite is pretty stiff; you can find out about it in other threads here; it looks like maybe the Competitor is still around, but, they are selling it as a boot/blade combo, with an Aspire blade.

My kid couldn't bend that darned Elite boot for love nor money in a year, but, broke in a Freestyle in 3 weeks. That gives you an idea of the difference in them ...

A year is a long way away, I wouldn't be worrying about it now ... Jackson is doing a lot of rethinking of their skates, from what I can see. Wait and see what she needs then.

isakswings
06-25-2010, 05:02 PM
Elite is pretty stiff; you can find out about it in other threads here; it looks like maybe the Competitor is still around, but, they are selling it as a boot/blade combo, with an Aspire blade.

My kid couldn't bend that darned Elite boot for love nor money in a year, but, broke in a Freestyle in 3 weeks. That gives you an idea of the difference in them ...

A year is a long way away, I wouldn't be worrying about it now ... Jackson is doing a lot of rethinking of their skates, from what I can see. Wait and see what she needs then.

Thanks. :) I don't want a boot/blade combo and we definately don't want anything too stiff! You are right, a yr IS a long time. I was just curious what replaced it. She's in Competitors now. :)

Skate@Delaware
06-25-2010, 06:20 PM
When I went for new boots, I was told the Competitor had been discontinued...so I got the lowest level of Elites. I can tell that they are a lot stiffer than my Competitors (which only took a few weeks skating at my time/level to break in). These boots took a long time to break in. Now, almost a year later, they are comfy. But I miss the Competitors, they were easier to bend in.

falen
06-25-2010, 08:20 PM
thanks good to know.

Audryb
06-26-2010, 12:17 PM
I noticed that the Jackson website now shows a Premier (http://www.jacksonultima.com/en/Index.aspx?product=7cM7l3q0vV0MRq8qxpnuBw1A2B3C4D5 E1A2B3C4D5E) boot, which I don't remember ever seeing before - the description looks like it has more "features" than the Freestyle, but fewer than the various Elite models... unfortunately, I can't tell from the website how stiff the Premier is compared to the other models, but is it possible that it is a replacement for the Competitor?

I'm troubled as well by the discontinuation of the Competitor, as I was planning to upgrade to Competitors when my Freestyles break down... I know the Elites will be too stiff :cry:

sk8tmum
06-26-2010, 12:35 PM
Looking at the pricing, the Premiere is more than Freestyle, less than Elite; it would make sense, as there's been quite a number of grumbles that Jackson ignored the men's boots between Freestyle and Elite, as there was no male Competitor model - this lets them fill in that missing link for the boys.

Part of why we left Jackson and moved to Klings "earlier" than we would have normally was because of that missing "step" - of course, we later found that we should have gone earlier, as the Jackson problem with the heel cups opening up was causing us problems that would have been resolved much earlier (and saved us quite a bit in physio bills). I understand from what I've read here and there that Jackson is addressing this problem - thankfully!