View Full Version : Lake Placid

miraclegro
06-20-2010, 07:53 PM
Anyone going to Lake Placid in August?

Anyone gone before to the Adult Camp? I'm a bit confused about if i really need any private lessons, or will my days be filled well with just the sessions i sign up for? I'm hoping to spend time with hubby while there so i was thinking of the 3-day camp.

How does L. Placid compare to Hackensack? (i realize there is no Hackensack this year)...

AgnesNitt
06-20-2010, 08:34 PM
I went to Lake Placid a couple of years ago. Here's how it worked.
You got a schedule of group classes of various kinds which you could attend-everything from beginners classes to high level stuff. You had to buy tickets at the ticket office and you just handed your ticket into the group class leader.
Then you could sign up with individual coaches. My memory fails me, but I think I wrote checks for them.
Then there was practice ice a couple of times a day, including pre-dawn figures ice. Those people are dedicated!

Be prepared for crap ice though. :evil: Just sayin' I had an 80 year old coach storm off the ice and yell at the zam drivers.

Pandora
06-20-2010, 08:41 PM
Are there any lessons (private) allowed on the practice ice? (Or is it for practice only?)

miraclegro
06-20-2010, 09:07 PM
Well, i'm used to crap ice here where i live anyway. Depending on the day of the week!

I heard it was good ice this year, though. So, thanks for the tips!

AgnesNitt
06-20-2010, 09:16 PM
Are there any lessons (private) allowed on the practice ice? (Or is it for practice only?)

Lessons mostly occur on practice ice. It's a freestyle session without any limitations to levels.

Pandora
06-20-2010, 09:28 PM
Oh cool!! :D Thanks for the info!!

LWalsh
06-21-2010, 11:14 AM
I just came back from LP and we had sessions all day long in the 1980 rink and the ice was beautiful.

lwalsh

MusicSkateFan
06-21-2010, 12:43 PM
I have been twice in Aug. You can make it as challenging or relaxing as you want. Last year the weather was quite nice so I would skate in the morning and then go swimming in the afternoon. The group of us stayed in a nice house basically right on mirror lake so we had pvt beach access. I did not take a single class or lesson. The other time I think I only took about three group lessons. It was good overall. I think the ice can be an issue. They were having issues with water dripping down on the 80 rink last year and the year before the morning ice was rough because they were not cutting it. I think due to the dripping they were trying a little harder last year to keep the ice in good shape.

Pandora
06-21-2010, 12:57 PM
Do you know of any ISI coaches that are based in Lake Placid? I would like to take a test there during adult week (if I go), but I need to find an ISI coach. (That is why I asked about the lessons). I know they hold an ISI competition there at least once a year, so it is an ISI rink.....But I looked at the list of coaches on the Lake Placid site and can't find any that mention ISI. Do any of you know a particular coach who might be ISI?

fsk8r
06-21-2010, 01:35 PM
How much does it work out costing people, ie how many group sessions are people signing up for?
I'm interested in going (not this year now, as it's too late to organise flights and vacation time) but was put off because of a little volcano and because I couldn't work out what I'd actually end up doing and therefore how much it would cost.