View Full Version : Scratch back scratch

isakswings
05-14-2010, 08:50 PM
My daughter does not like this spin. She tries with all her might but this spin is a struggle for her. Our current goal is to have her do this spin 10 times a session. Is there anything else I can have her try to help improve this spin? Sometimes she pulls it off nicely but other times, not so much! The back spin was a struggle and is finally starting to come around and now this spin is a thorn in her side! Jumps come much easier for her then spins! :)

Anyway... thanks for any suggestions you might have.

phoenix
05-15-2010, 02:46 PM
Spin corrections are tricky and I would HIGHLY recommend you leave the correction comments to her coach. Doing it 10 times per session may be only reinforcing a mistake that you aren't aware of. Has her coach told her to do it 10 times?

If so & her technique is all right, then the other answer w/ new spins is that, yes, they are much harder than jumps, and they take a long time to get consistent and strong. Have patience, and remind her to have patience & perseverance as well.

slusher
05-15-2010, 05:23 PM
I set a time limit for my skaters to practice spinning, more than doing X amount of spins, because then they rush through the spins "coach, I'm done!" I'd rather see five good spins in 10 minutes, thinking about entrance, position, corrections, focus points than 10 spins done in 2 minutes.

kayskate
05-15-2010, 05:58 PM
Also if she is having trouble doing spin, it is a good idea to do something else for a while then come back to the element to prevent reinforcing bad habits. I second quality above quantity.

Kay

Virtualsk8r
05-15-2010, 08:22 PM
Get her an off-ice spinner (not the plastic foot kind, but the steel plate with ball bearings). All my skaters use it and the beginners learn very quickly how to balance properly and maintain pressure over their skating side. A bit tricky for sit spins - but they manage. Camels take room, however, skaters can manage.

Backspins are much improved after using the spinner.

isakswings
05-16-2010, 09:45 AM
Spin corrections are tricky and I would HIGHLY recommend you leave the correction comments to her coach. Doing it 10 times per session may be only reinforcing a mistake that you aren't aware of. Has her coach told her to do it 10 times?

If so & her technique is all right, then the other answer w/ new spins is that, yes, they are much harder than jumps, and they take a long time to get consistent and strong. Have patience, and remind her to have patience & perseverance as well.

Thanks. :) Her coach is on board with the idea. I promise you, I don't correct anything in her skating. The only reason I ever suggested she do X a session is simply because she will not practice this spin otherwise(unless she is running through her program...it's in her program). She does not like this spin. To be honest, since I suggested 10 a session, she has yet to do a full 10. I am ok with that, I just want her to practice the spin! :) Thanks for the feedback!

isakswings
05-16-2010, 09:49 AM
I set a time limit for my skaters to practice spinning, more than doing X amount of spins, because then they rush through the spins "coach, I'm done!" I'd rather see five good spins in 10 minutes, thinking about entrance, position, corrections, focus points than 10 spins done in 2 minutes.

Thanks! I see how that could happen and then prove to be counter-productive. Maybe I will tell her to do 5 spins then. Since she started trying ot do 10 a session, she has yet ot hit the full 10. I tell her that is ok... to be honest I said that to get her to practice the spin. They are getting a bit better. She will get it and has a back spin and scratch spin, it's combining the 2 that throw her! :)

isakswings
05-16-2010, 09:52 AM
Get her an off-ice spinner (not the plastic foot kind, but the steel plate with ball bearings). All my skaters use it and the beginners learn very quickly how to balance properly and maintain pressure over their skating side. A bit tricky for sit spins - but they manage. Camels take room, however, skaters can manage.

Backspins are much improved after using the spinner.

Thanks! I may have to try that. She's doing pretty well with her other spins...just the stinking scratch back scratch combo! She's getting a great camel spin but the back spin she has always struggled with. It'll come! Thanks!

isakswings
05-18-2010, 10:14 PM
A little update on this spin... it's coming along! It's gotten better. YIPPY! Her coach says her sit spin is actually causing her grief now. OY. She's got a pretty camel spin, a good scratch, an acceptable back spin and finally the scratch back scratch is coming along and hopefully the sit will come along ok. Her spins have been more centered lately too. YIPPY!

Tennisany1
05-19-2010, 12:05 AM
I think this is the spin my dd does with a little hop between positions. She also does not particularly like to spin, but since her coach told her that this spin will really help her doubles she has been doing it religiously! Getting into the correct back spin position quickly is really important for jumping. Perhaps if your daughter thought about it that way it would encourage her to practice it more.

Sessy
05-19-2010, 12:46 PM
For me, the problem was that I did not have a good backspin. In my country they teach the scratch back scratch before the backspin in group lessons because that's how it's tested, but I found actually digging out material on the backspin for myself, youtube and everything else, and practicing it (once the coach saw what I was doing, she offered some tips too) helped a lot.

cazzie
05-20-2010, 09:38 AM
My son always says backspin is much harder than loop! (I wouldn't know - I can't do either - but loop does look like a hard jump). Great she is practising and being rewarded by improvement.

momof3chicks
05-20-2010, 03:47 PM
I think this is the spin my dd does with a little hop between positions. She also does not particularly like to spin, but since her coach told her that this spin will really help her doubles she has been doing it religiously! Getting into the correct back spin position quickly is really important for jumping. Perhaps if your daughter thought about it that way it would encourage her to practice it more.

I agree, and the axel actually...once my dd mastered this spin, the jumps came right along.

isakswings
05-21-2010, 09:38 AM
I agree, and the axel actually...once my dd mastered this spin, the jumps came right along.

YUP! I think once she gets a tighter and stronger back spin it will help her axel be tighter and stronger as well. It will all come together...

isakswings
05-21-2010, 09:40 AM
My son always says backspin is much harder than loop! (I wouldn't know - I can't do either - but loop does look like a hard jump). Great she is practising and being rewarded by improvement.

Yup! Nearly every skater and parent I talked to told me(and dd!) the back spin took them awhile to learn. Dd's friend is a natural spinner and has always had an easier time learning spins. She too, had a difficult time with the back spin.

It is nice to see the improvement. :)

isakswings
05-21-2010, 09:47 AM
For me, the problem was that I did not have a good backspin. In my country they teach the scratch back scratch before the backspin in group lessons because that's how it's tested, but I found actually digging out material on the backspin for myself, youtube and everything else, and practicing it (once the coach saw what I was doing, she offered some tips too) helped a lot.

Yup I think this was part of the problem too. Dd could do a back spin, but it wasn't always as strong or as good as it could be. I think the transition from scratch to back spin threw her even more. Thankfully, it is coming along now. She still stumbles some coming out of it tho! Her coach tells me she is not worried about it...so I am not going to worry! Her coach thinks her sit needs more work now. LOL! Funny thing, they have their annual ice show tonight. Her coach choregraphed her group number and dd is doing a sit spin in that program. LOL! I was actually surprised because dd's camel is MUCH prettier and better then her sit is. I think coach did that so dd practices her sit spin more. HEE HEE!

You know, I think mine is doing that now too. I cannot be certain. I know she does a hop at some point with this spin and I cannot remember if it is between the spins or after she finishes?? Hmmm.

momof3chicks
05-21-2010, 10:33 AM
Yup! Nearly every skater and parent I talked to told me(and dd!) the back spin took them awhile to learn. Dd's friend is a natural spinner and has always had an easier time learning spins. She too, had a difficult time with the back spin.

It is nice to see the improvement. :)

My dd as well, she was a good spinner even very early in basic skills and she still had to struggle to get a good backspin.