View Full Version : A novel way to get warranty repairs and replacements

Query
05-11-2010, 05:58 PM
I have two expensive sport related items, one of which never worked right, one of which eventually failed, that the manufacturers wouldn't to cover under warranty, nor would they let me buy components to make a repair possible, when I contacted them directly. Both were described by the manufacturers as impossible to repair. Total value of the two items is close to $1000.

I volunteered to help out a local store run a sport festival event. As it happens, both companies sent representatives to the festival. I spoke to the representatives, and showed them the defective devices.

To my complete astonishment, though the devices are now fairly old, one representative made arrangements for a free warranty repair (I paid shipping), and the other company representative agreed to have a new device shipped to me, at no charge.

Someone at someone in authority at the store said it was quite likely the representatives agreed to the repairs because I was associated with the store through the volunteer work.

This suggests that if a manufacturer doesn't want to back their product, you could become temporarily associated with a dealer in some way, even on a voluntary basis, and speak to a rep in that context, and possibly obtain a repair or new unit.

This is frankly amazing.

dbny
05-20-2010, 11:12 AM
Great story, and something to keep in mind.

Isk8NYC
05-20-2010, 11:23 AM
This also works at trade shows. I went to the annual ISI National Conference and browsed the vendor booths that were set up. I was chatting with the Jackson rep and mentioned that the chrome on my DD's skate blades was peeling off. It was just cosmetic, but the pro shop didn't know what to make of it.

The Jackson Rep gave me his card and said to have the pro shop order and mount new blades - no charge. I think they sent better blades than what came with the stock boot, too.

The key is to be polite and a bit curious instead of angry or complaining.

Query
05-20-2010, 12:36 PM
A Question of Ethics

1. Would it be unethical to sell the new item?

One person told me yes, that the company had (finally) decided to do the right thing, and selling the new item would be taking unfair advantage of their generosity - especially if I continued to use the old defective one.

I have mixed feelings. I feel the manufacturer should have replaced it, or done something when it was new, not 5 or 10 years later (it was a combination of shoddy contruction and a design flaw, which latter the representative now admits). So this is sort of like selling a used item, which is normal and ethical.

In the mean time, I had learned to compensate for the defects, though it wastes time. The old defective item is not a car, but if it were, I could start it by doing the equivalent of messing around inside the hood, and I've gotten used to making it work.

2. Would it be unethical to sell the old defective one (assuming I told the buyer of the problems, and of the ways of compensating)? In most warranty replacements, you return the defective item, but in this case that was not required.

Sessy
05-21-2010, 05:25 AM
I'd say it's not unethical to sell the old item as long as the buyer is aware of the flaws and also does not attempt to get it replaced again by the factory (as long as there is no deceit), but as for the new item, I think it is unethical to sell it on right now. It was given to you by the factory for your particular circumstances and if they knew you were going to sell it right away, they'd likely have not done so, so all in all it is deceitful to sell. If you decide to sell it on after using it for a while because you upgraded or something, I see no problem.

If there is a risk of injury with the old, defective item, then that changes the answer to the ethics question in the event that the resulting injury would legally result in a liability for the manufacturer and/or importer.