View Full Version : Paralympic figure skating?

Artemis
03-15-2010, 03:42 PM
I went to a sledge hockey game this weekend and was blown away by the sport. So I started thinking about whether or not it would be possible to have a Paralympic version of figure skating.

A visually impaired category seems the most obvious (Ice Castles anyone?). Singles that is -- pairs would be a very bad idea, and dance not a lot better.

But while it would be next to impossible to have any kind of meaningful performace by a paraplegic and still call it skating, what about single amputees? With the prosthetics they make these days, do you think it would be feasable to perform jumps & spins?

Of course the numbers make it even more unlikely it would ever happen ... but is it physically possible?

RachelSk8er
03-15-2010, 03:46 PM
I'm sure there have been plenty of hearing-impaired skaters over the years (not just among the older adults where that type of thing tends to go once you reach a certain age). There was a girl who has total hearing loss who was skating synchro at one time (can't remember which team, I believe it was a novice team, and I'm not sure if she's still skating but she'd be old enough for a junior or senior team by now). Her teammates would squeeze her shoulder to count off for things like the warmup block and when the music first started, and beyond that she just went by feel and skated to a beat in her head. You'd never know by watching her skate with her team, she was on time far better than some of her teammates who could hear the music just fine. :lol:

Skittl1321
03-15-2010, 03:46 PM
A man with a prosthetic leg skates at our rink. He doesn't do jumps, but I've seen him do basic spins.

I think he's more limited by the fact that he's a middle aged recreational skater, then by his leg.

AgnesNitt
03-15-2010, 06:19 PM
I don't know about everyone else, but I think that would make a great video. Got a student who whines, "I can't do it." Show him the video.

dreamnmusic
03-15-2010, 08:59 PM
There have been visually impaired figure skaters. I think they competed normally. I myself am visually impaired and am starting to get into more advanced figure skating. I hope to compete someday.

I think you could skate pairs, though I'm sure adaptations would be made. I should think it would be a bit like performing in a musical. You need to keep track of where everyone else is. Also keep in mind skating isn't silent, I can hear when people are skating near me and getting closer. Usually that's how I dodge people if necessary, I use a mixture of what's left of my vision and the sound of the other skates. It usually works. Although my guide dog doesn't particularly appreciate it :lol:

Mel On Ice
03-16-2010, 05:56 PM
I've seen deaf competitiors and my friend Amy is missing an arm and is a great skater.

sk8tmum
03-18-2010, 08:08 AM
During the Olympics, there was a feature on a young lady who figure skates with 2 prosthetic legs, IIRC.

let`s talk
03-18-2010, 08:47 AM
They have ballroom dancers in wheelchairs. Wheelchair dance sport is not a part of Paralympic. But it would be nice if it becomes. Beautiful stuff. The same can go for figure skating.

kayskate
03-19-2010, 10:13 AM
Elaine Zayak lost part of her foot in a lawn mower accident as a child. I remember this from when she was competing. it was featured in an up close and personal type piece. Her doc suggested skating as therapy. She became a great skater.

I know of single leg amputees who inline skate also.

Kay

fsk8r
03-19-2010, 10:47 AM
On the British show Dancing on Ice, they had Heather Mills learning to skate this season. Early on I thought she was one of the better skaters of the celebrities. Obviously there were some things she was struggling to do with the prosthetic, but it didn't really hinder her. I think the only complaint made was that she didn't turn her prosthetic leg out when doing a spiral. Apparently the weight of it prevented her doing so but I'd imagine that can be overcome with practice.

FSWer
03-19-2010, 11:33 AM
I went to a sledge hockey game this weekend and was blown away by the sport. So I started thinking about whether or not it would be possible to have a Paralympic version of figure skating.

A visually impaired category seems the most obvious (Ice Castles anyone?). Singles that is -- pairs would be a very bad idea, and dance not a lot better.

But while it would be next to impossible to have any kind of meaningful performace by a paraplegic and still call it skating, what about single amputees? With the prosthetics they make these days, do you think it would be feasable to perform jumps & spins?

Of course the numbers make it even more unlikely it would ever happen ... but is it physically possible?

I could answer it,if someone could explain to me exactly WHAT Paralymic means. Can someone give an example? Thanks.

Artemis
03-19-2010, 11:53 AM
Paralympics are the Olympics for athletes with specific physical disabilities. The Paralympics Games are held every four years, shortly after each Olympic Games -- so the 2010 Paralympic Winter Games are going on in Vancouver right now, ending this weekend.

The three main categories of paralympic athletes are those with visual impairments, those with spinal injuries, and amputees. The movement started after World War II, when Dr. Ludwig Guttmann wanted to inspire injured war veterans to compete in athletics as a way to speed up their physical and mental recovery. Many paralympic athletes today are also war veterans, while others were born with their disabilities.

There are currently no figure skating or speed skating events at the Paralympic Winter Games. There are various forms of downhill & cross-country skiing, as well as wheelchair curling, and sledge hockey (an amazing sport where the players sit on a small sled an propel themselves up and down the ice with sticks -- I'm not describing it very well, but you can watch a video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUtbtm3SLzs&feature=related).

FSWer
03-19-2010, 11:59 AM
Paralympics are the Olympics for athletes with specific physical disabilities. The Paralympics Games are held every four years, shortly after each Olympic Games -- so the 2010 Paralympic Winter Games are going on in Vancouver right now, ending this weekend.

The three main categories of paralympic athletes are those with visual impairments, those with spinal injuries, and amputees. The movement started after World War II, when Dr. Ludwig Guttmann wanted to inspire injured war veterans to compete in athletics as a way to speed up their physical and mental recovery. Many paralympic athletes today are also war veterans, while others were born with their disabilities.

There are currently no figure skating or speed skating events at the Paralympic Winter Games. There are various forms of downhill & cross-country skiing, as well as wheelchair curling, and sledge hockey (an amazing sport where the players sit on a small sled an propel themselves up and down the ice with sticks -- I'm not describing it very well, but you can watch a video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUtbtm3SLzs&feature=related).

Isn't that the Specail Olympics? As I know there's Figure skating in it. Or is there a difference between the Specail Olympic Figure Skating and Paralympic Figure Skating?

Clarice
03-19-2010, 12:32 PM
Isn't that the Specail Olympics? As I know there's Figure skating in it. Or is there a difference between the Specail Olympic Figure Skating and Paralympic Figure Skating?

According to what I've read, the Paralympics are for people with physical disabilities, and the Special Olympics are for people with developmental disabilities (things like Down syndrome, autism, etc.).

FSWer
03-19-2010, 12:38 PM
According to what I've read, the Paralympics are for people with physical disabilities, and the Special Olympics are for people with developmental disabilities (things like Down syndrome, autism, etc.).

Can anyone give an example to what we might expect at the Paralympics? Would I be seeing Pairs? Like in the Specail Olympics?

Skittl1321
03-19-2010, 01:08 PM
Can anyone give an example to what we might expect at the Paralympics? Would I be seeing Pairs? Like in the Specail Olympics?

Right now the idea of Paralympics figure skating is just hypothetical. It's not currently one of the sports available. I think we were all just guessing what COULD happen.

Here is a page that tells about the paralympics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paralympic_Games

It will tell you all the different sports, and the different categories for the sports.

Kay
03-28-2010, 04:13 PM
Call me crazy, but it seems reasonable that a single-leg amputee would be able to do some jumps. Obviously, it would be easiest if their amputated limb was their landing foot, but it seems feasible. ie, a left single leg amputee could certainly do a loop, and with practice likely master a flip and lutz, provided they spin in a CCW direction.

Also, there was a single-arm above the elbow amputee that guest skated at my skating school for tests, and she was an unbelievably athletic individual. She was a great skater, and I think only left skating to pursue university.

I think it is fabulous that sports are being promoted for EVERYONE to participate in, regardless of bodily state. The sporting community is unbelievably accepting anyone who is willing to work hard. If there are any individuals facing additional challenges in life who would like to figure skate, head on out to your local rink!!! We welcome you with open arms!!!

FSWer
03-28-2010, 07:15 PM
Right now the idea of Paralympics figure skating is just hypothetical. It's not currently one of the sports available. I think we were all just guessing what COULD happen.

Here is a page that tells about the paralympics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paralympic_Games

It will tell you all the different sports, and the different categories for the sports.

BTW. are we talking about something for like people in let's say..wheelchairs? What exactally do we mean?

Skittl1321
03-28-2010, 07:25 PM
BTW. are we talking about something for like people in let's say..wheelchairs? What exactally do we mean?

From the wikipedia link, these are the disability categories
Amputee: Athletes with a partial or total loss of at least one limb.
Cerebral Palsy: Athletes with non-progressive brain damage, for example cerebral palsy, traumatic brain injury, stroke or similar disabilities affecting muscle control, balance or coordination.

Wheelchair: Athletes with spinal cord injuries and other disabilities which require them to compete in a wheelchair.

Visually Impaired: Athletes with vision impairment ranging from partial vision, sufficient to be judged legally blind, to total blindness.

Les Autres: Athletes with a physical disability that does not fall strictly under
one of the other five categories, such as dwarfism, multiple sclerosis or congenital deformities of the limbs such as that caused by thalidomide (the name for this category is the French for "the others").

These categories apply to both summer and winter Paralympics.

maryld
03-30-2010, 10:23 AM
During the Olympics, there was a feature on a young lady who figure skates with 2 prosthetic legs, IIRC.

This young lady is from my area and I have seen her compete (and win medals) She skates around the Preliminary level and most can't tell that she has 2 prosthetics each from the knee down. Not sure how far she would be able to progress, but she is impressive.