View Full Version : changes to required elements

Artemis
03-08-2010, 12:13 PM
If you were an ISU memeber, what changes would you like to see to the required elements as we enter the next quadrennial?

My first choice would be to dump the required spiral sequence for both women & pairs, and make it a choice of spiral, straight-line, or circular for pairs, women, and men. In pairs in particular the spiral sequence is boring and contrived, it frequently doesn't fit the music, and I hate the women-only requirement that implies women must be flexible & graceful while men must be fast & strong. Let them all choose which type of step sequences suit their music and their program. And without it being a required sequence, maybe skaters will be more inclined to use spirals as moves in the field, where they fit, instead of a boring stop-everything-and-strike-3-poses sequence.

I'd also like to change the rule that gives higher levels to catch-foot death spirals. It completely spoils the line of the death spiral IMO.

And while we're at it, change any levels-related rule that results in absolutely everyone performing the element the same way. Like hands-behind-your-back twizzles.

Anyone else?

RachelSk8er
03-08-2010, 04:01 PM
I agree with the spiral or step sequence requirement. Quite frankly, I'm much more impressed by someone who can do a difficult and well-executed step sequence than someone who can stick their left toepick in their right ear. Yes, there are difficult things in spiral sequences (like properly-executed COEs) and a spiral with nice extension at the right time can be beautiful, BUT they are not that hard if you have the flexibility that a lot of the top female skaters have today. Step sequences are not only harder to execute and require more energy, but also require a lot more attention with regard to choreography and music interpretation. Step sequences also put the gumbys and the less flexible on a much more level playing field.

icedancer2
03-08-2010, 04:22 PM
gumbys and the less flexible on a much more level playing field.

That is hilarious!

I quite agree.

I am also not a fan of holding onto your blade - why is that difficult or interesting? (except when it seems unique to the skater/program of course!)

Skittl1321
03-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Quad for men in SP.

Oh that's ridiculous. Why not make triple axel a required element for women too then?

Can you imagine what a mess the grand prix will be if men are required to do quads? 80% of them won't get any credit at all.

Now imagine seniors at nationals- you know, the seniors who actually haven't competed internationally yet, and aren't the world's elite?

How many people had ratified quads at the olympics? (Heck- how many people landed quads in practice at the Olympics- maybe 5-10 more can do them then did them in programs) And yet, you think it should be a required element?

As for step sequence vs spiral- I think making it a choice in pairs is a good idea, but I think ladies need a spiral sequence. They already need to be gumbies to spin, and there are ways to get high levels without having a super human spiral- that's the one area Yuna Kim seems to need work to my eyes, and yet she still scores well on them.

RachelSk8er
03-09-2010, 10:53 AM
I am also not a fan of holding onto your blade - why is that difficult or interesting? (except when it seems unique to the skater/program of course!)

Yeah, I don't get it. Blade grabbing is what people like me who are not very flexible do in order to mask the fact that we aren't flexible. (I'm such a hypocrite when it comes to this...I cringe at the excessive blade grabbing, especially in pairs and dance, yet I feel that the spiral in my own program I use as a transition is actually quite lovely. BUT that 5 seconds is the only blade grab in my program.)

Except blade grabs on twizzles for the dancers. I think it looks stupid, but HOLY CRAP that is hard to get the blade in your hand without popping the free hip up (or stabbing the palm of your hand), all while rotating at the same speed/distance as your partner. (Or maybe I just have short arms and it's really not that hard.)