View Full Version : Lysacek *in the FINALS* on Dancing With the Stars

sk8ergalgal
03-02-2010, 01:33 PM
Just thought I would post this in case people here are interested but I just read that Evan is going to be on the 10th season of Dancing with the Stars.. Here is the link to the page: http://abc.go.com/shows/dancing-with-the-stars/cast-announcement/ThemeGallery/397914

Isk8NYC
03-02-2010, 02:17 PM
I might actually have to watch this show! Thanks for posting the info.

Skittl1321
03-02-2010, 02:54 PM
I just wish it would have been Johnny!

Hope Evan has fun with it- and doesn't wear himself out with SOI too

Johnny_Fever
03-02-2010, 03:53 PM
If this is anything like the Kristi Yamaguchi season, people will start whining that he's cheating. "No fair, he's a skater. He's got a huge advantage." :roll:

AgnesNitt
03-02-2010, 04:08 PM
Oh no, Belbin and Agosta have a huge advantage. Lysacek no so much.

Johnny_Fever
03-02-2010, 04:13 PM
Oh no, Belbin and Agosta have a huge advantage. Lysacek no so much.My sentiments exactly, but apparently non-skaters think differently.

icedancer2
03-02-2010, 04:17 PM
I wonder which professional dancer they will pair him with?

I'm thinking he and Edyta would look FANTASTIC together!

TreSk8sAZ
03-02-2010, 04:46 PM
I wonder which professional dancer they will pair him with?

He's paired with Anna Trebunskaya

Terri C
03-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Seeing who else is on there, if Evan trains for this like he did Vancouver, he'll win with no questions asked!!

Johnny_Fever
03-02-2010, 07:12 PM
Seeing who else is on there, if Evan trains for this like he did Vancouver, he'll win with no questions asked!!In our world, we are accustomed to talent being the only criteria, but Dancing with the Stars is more of popularity contest. It frustrates me every season when they eliminate the wrong people for the wrong reasons.

Schmeck
03-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Oh no - conflict! I refuse to watch anything with the gosselin twit in it - will have to wait until she gets voted off (hopefully first!) and then I can watch!

Johnny_Fever
03-02-2010, 07:22 PM
I suspect the viewers/voters will make quick work of her.

RachelSk8er
03-03-2010, 07:07 AM
I don't think of singles skaters (Kristi, Evan) as "cheating" (um...I've seen some of them try to dance at the afterparty for Scott Hamilton's cancer benefit show he does here every year...trust me, they can't dance). But pop stars? Like Joey Fatone, and now the one girl from Pussycat Dolls. It's their job to be able to dance and learn choreography. Sure, ballroom is a whole different ballgame, but they've at least got some moves.

Hopefully Kate will be gone fast, I don't think Bachelor Jake will stick around long either (he's pretty dorky and will probably be awkward, plus no one really cares much about him either...yay...you went on Bachelorette, got the boot, went on Bachelor, and picked a total skank who previously emptied her ex husband's bank acct for a boob job, broke Tenley's heart, and now no one likes you. Yay for you.)

I think the Ochocinco guy from the Bengals may be a surprise and maybe be the one to give Evan a little run for his money. Athletes always do well on the show, and he seems like he'll be pretty agile and he'll def able to put on a good show and get the audience going. That's what tends to keep people around even if their technical ability is a little lacking.

My boyfriend will actually record the show for me this season since Erin Andrews and Pamela Anderson are on it. That's fine, he can oogle them, I've got Evan!

I wish the'd have Evgeny on so he can do that lame hip gyration he calls choreography and have Evan kick his butt there, too.

Isk8NYC
03-03-2010, 08:50 AM
He's paired with Anna Trebunskaya
It would be ironic if she is of Russian descent, *chuckle*

I wish the'd have Evgeny on so he can do that lame hip gyration he calls choreography and have Evan kick his butt there, too.
That's so mean, but so funny!

Terri C
03-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Bumping this up, 'cause TONIGHT IS THE NIGHT!!

GO EVAN!!!!!

sk8ergalgal
03-22-2010, 02:33 PM
Yeah! I am so watching this tonight. Hoping he does well : )

Petlover
03-23-2010, 02:10 PM
Evan was awesome! So handsome and elegant!

Artemis
03-23-2010, 03:23 PM
His first dance is up on YouTube if you missed it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74KTstrdJ1Q

This clip has all the background stuff too, but is really poor video quality:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVLPyTXn4Ak&

Schmeck
03-24-2010, 06:36 AM
Thank you so much for the link! I thought he was incredible - can't wait for him to do something funky though!

Isk8NYC
03-24-2010, 07:19 AM
Thanks for the link. AWESOME! He's easy on the eyes in that Tux. Loved the spins in the dance. The man is light on his feet and can whip those out easily, huh? He needs to fit an off-ice double axel in there somehow. That'll bring the crowd to their feet.

I agreed with the judges about his not "connecting" with his partner and the audience. Disagree with the pointed toe criticism - looked fine to me and the ninny judge seems to think that we don't toe point inside our boots. Ignorance. I do think that he's got that balletic extension of the arms and the free legs, but there isn't strength or "macho" in the movements. I think that, if they have a Tango or Latin dance, he'll either rise to the challenge or not do well. (Evan seems to like challenges, so I'm betting on the first one.)

ROFLOL! If you look at Evan's bio on the official site, there's a quote at the bottom that reads "I'm excited to have a Russian partner." That's so ironic after Plushenko's meltdown.

OoooOOO - I forgot it was a voting show - have to show our support for Evan!

Week 1 Stats
Dance: Viennese Waltz
Score: 23 points

Dance Partner: Anna Trebunskaya

Vote Phone Number: 800-VOTE4-06 (800-868-3406)

Text Code: 3406

Do we think he'll move on next week? (I didn't watch the other dance teams)

Terri C
03-24-2010, 07:57 AM
Do we think he'll move on next week? (I didn't watch the other dance teams)

Isk8.. are you kidding me?? He wound up in second behind Nicole, one of the Pussycat Dolls.
I really felt as if the judges were a bit nitpicky with him!

MQSeries
03-24-2010, 12:52 PM
He needs to fit an off-ice double axel in there somehow. That'll bring the crowd to their feet.

The Lindy Hop dance has a lot of jumping around, and the girl in the dance sometimes does a verion of the throw tuck axel. I want to see Evan do some skating jumps in this dance.

MQSeries
03-24-2010, 12:54 PM
I don't think Bachelor Jake will stick around long either (he's pretty dorky and will probably be awkward, plus no one really cares much about him either...yay...you went on Bachelorette, got the boot, went on Bachelor, and picked a total skank who previously emptied her ex husband's bank acct for a boob job, broke Tenley's heart, and now no one likes you. Yay for you.)

Jake's hot, so I like to see him stick around. Bring on the Latin dances. Yeah, I'm shallow :lol:.

RachelSk8er
03-26-2010, 08:42 AM
I finally got around to watching this, and all I could think was "Evan...please come to my rink with that tux and your skates and do the Starlight with me. Pretty please? I'll teach it to you if you don't know the steps!"

icedancer2
03-26-2010, 11:34 AM
I finally got around to watching this, and all I could think was "Evan...please come to my rink with that tux and your skates and do the Starlight with me. Pretty please? I'll teach it to you if you don't know the steps!"

Oh yeah - and he's so tall - good partner for me as well!!

After Apollo was on DWTS I thought he might also make a good ice-dancer as well... I mean, will these boys GET A CLUE?????

Isk8NYC
03-26-2010, 01:12 PM
I finally got around to watching this, and all I could think was "Evan...please come to my rink with that tux and your skates and do the Starlight with me. Pretty please? I'll teach it to you if you don't know the steps!"All tall, thin men look good in a tie and tails, don't they? sigh

Petlover
03-31-2010, 02:31 PM
Absolutely loved Evan's jive! The judges scored him way too low.

sk8ergalgal
04-05-2010, 09:09 PM
Apparently I just heard today that Evan actually injured himself doing the jive last week and broke two toes!!
He claims to be doing better and still able to dance with the toes wrapped and painkillers.
He also said the foot felt better in his skate and claimed not to let it get in the way of his stars on ice commitment.

Isk8NYC
04-08-2010, 09:40 AM
Just caught up on this show. Eeeek, broken toes. Wasn't that his worry during the Olympics, from practicing q***s beforehand?

I really hope he doesn't cancel his Friday appearance in Stars on Ice - we have tickets.

I really enjoyed this week's dance - put the boy in a tux and I'm happy, but I really liked the dancing, too. His partner, Anna, was fantastic.

The color videos were cute - "Talk to me in a thick russian accent..." then he starts making faces like "I got her to do it!"

Skittl1321
04-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Eeeek, broken toes. Wasn't that his worry during the Olympics, from practicing q***s beforehand?

I thought that was about aggrevating a stress fracture in his metatarsal. Toes sound like a new injury.

sk8ergalgal
04-12-2010, 09:58 PM
Yeah the toes are definitely a new injury.

Evan did an awesome job with this tango tonight. It was the first time in the history of DWTS that they awarded two scores, one for technique and one for performance. He scored the highest combined score tonight and therefore finished at the top of the leaderboard!! So everyone please vote to keep him on the show!! call or vote online at www.abc.com :bow:

Isk8NYC
04-13-2010, 08:02 AM
Evan's going to sleep for a month after DWTS and SOI are over, lol.
Talk about burning the candle at both ends, whew!

Loved their Tango last night - very well done and he was very focused.
There were flashes of emotion and romantic anger, so bravo. For someone who has skated solo for this many years, it must a real adjustment to have a partner.

I really don't get the "point your toes" issue with the judges.
Figure skaters DO point their toes, even though the foot's wrapped in heavy leather.
Why wouldn't that translate to dancing? Maybe it's his toes.

ETA: Someone started a very funny Twitter account called "EvansToe"
http://twitter.com/Evanstoe

What was the deal with his having to "step on the heel" at certain points in the dance.
I didn't understand what the judges meant by that being very important.

The judges gave them high scores; don't forget to vote for Evan and Anna! Polls close at 11am ET, 8am PT TODAY!
Call 1-800-868-3406, text VOTE to 3406 (AT&T only) or visit http://ow.ly/1xAm4 (http://ow.ly/1xAm4)

Isk8NYC
04-13-2010, 10:57 PM
***SPOILER***

I can't believe Kate lives to stomp again next week. :roll:

sk8ergalgal
04-14-2010, 07:32 AM
Yes I was shocked too. Thought for sure that this was her week to go or if not her then Jake and Chelsea because of the big stumble in this tango.

Isk8NYC
04-14-2010, 02:42 PM
Someone should start tracking Evan's "alliances" with corporate sponsors.

As of today, he's using Flexjet to commute to/from DWTS and SOI.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Flexjet-Helps-Lift-Olympic-prnews-1817051659.html?x=0&.v=1

Smart endorsement on Flexjet's part.

Safe travels, Evan.

Isk8NYC
04-14-2010, 06:37 PM
ABC is having a contest - 2 tix to the Season Finale 5/24/2010; airfare, ground transportation and hotel included. Check your local ABC affiliate site for details. One entry per person.

Samskate
04-14-2010, 07:11 PM
I SO would love to see Evan win this! However, he does have a few really viable competitors. I think he looks so much better sans the bangs and with his hair combed back. He looks much more handsome! Anyone else agree? Besides Patsy?

Isk8NYC
04-14-2010, 08:21 PM
I like the hair combed back, but not the Brylcream greaser look.

Nancy
04-15-2010, 11:33 AM
I like the hair combed back, but not the Brylcream greaser look.

Totally Agree!

herniated
04-15-2010, 07:29 PM
getting back to Evan's feet....does he still have a stress fracture in a metatarsal?? That could get bad real quick especially with the toes getting fractured. I had a stress fracture in my third metatarsal once and was put in a walking cast for six weeks. It was explained to me that if not treated...the crack so to speak could spread. Like the crack on a windshield.

Isk8NYC
04-15-2010, 08:33 PM
Lysacek has two broken toes, that's all.

The other injury was cited as the reason that he stopped practicing quads for the Olympics.

sk8ergalgal
04-26-2010, 09:39 PM
Another interesting and demanding week for Evan!
He was attempting some lifts for the swing dance marathon contest and hit his head pretty hard. Suffered a minor concussion but was still allowed by doctors to dance and fly and skate so that is good. He is definitely going to need a vacation after this show!!
I was kind of disappointed in his placement in the swing marathon.. but he is still a great dancer ;)

Skittl1321
04-26-2010, 09:45 PM
Evan's samba was not good but he was robbed in comparision to other dancer's scores. OUCH.

Terri C
04-27-2010, 09:19 AM
Iknow nothing about the Samba, but Evan I tend to think, is being held to a higher standard than some of the others like Jake and Niecy.

Isk8NYC
04-27-2010, 09:34 AM
Since I no longer have to vote against She Who Can Not Dance, I cast all seven of my votes for Evan and Anna, lol.

We have less than an hour until polls close! Vote early & often!

http://cdn.abc.go.com/shows/dancing-with-the-stars/vote/begin

icedancer2
04-27-2010, 11:43 AM
I really think the judges stuck it to him because they want to keep the show interesting - I LOVED his dance (I was thinking I like him better as a dancer than as a skater, LOL) - I voted all my votes for him as did my husband on his cell - I've never voted this early in the season before -

Go EVAN - I love Neicy, but she and Chad... they've got to go.

Like Erin. Nicole can take it... but... maybe not!:twisted:

Samskate
04-27-2010, 03:43 PM
I've noticed each season that the judges really get down on the ones who are the real contenders at least once before the finale. I think it's like icedancer2 said, to keep the show interesting. I know I'm very much on Evan's side, but I still cannot see what was so wrong about his samba. I obviously know nothing about what it should look like, but I agree; as compared to the other dancers, I'm not sure his was as bad as the judges said. Also was a bit surprised he was taken out of the swing as early as he was.

icedancer2
04-27-2010, 06:24 PM
Yeah, they did that to Apollo and then to Kristi - I think they really want to make it look like someone like Neicy just might make it - and of course Kelly Osbourne really did make the semi-final and so that is great - you don't want a one-horse race, after all!!

I thought last night's dance was Evan's best dance, but oh well, I also know very little about the Samba, except as it's done as an ice-dance, LOL...

BUT I think that this experience on DWTS is going to make Evan a GREAT performer on the ice - if the skills transfer over for him. Can't wait to see how he develops in his skating career now actually.

Query
04-27-2010, 09:00 PM
Some randomly connected thoughts:

Nicole is a fabulously beautiful, hot lady, and she knows how to move, dress (undress?) and show off her body.

What a guy does in ballroom dance (mostly showing off the lady, in a conservative outfit) can never shine quite the same way.

Pitting men against women on a dance show is silly. No guy can honestly compete with what a hot lady can do.

I suppose you ladies might have a different take on this.

Anyway, there is something that totally puzzles me. ALL of the contestants are way too good. Way better than most people who have danced socially at ballroom dances for years. Their partner/coaches are great championship dancers, but that only goes so far. I lot of us have had very good coaches for years, yet can't move anywhere as well as these people. I wonder how long they train before they compete - I assume it's only a few weeks. Yes, many start out as athletes, or in professions that require they move well, and I'm sure they audition, but they simply seem too good.

Some of the partner/coaches share the same teaching style problem as some skating coaches: they demo well, but are not good at analytical and verbal teaching. If their students try to get explanations, they say things along the lines of "just do it" - which works for some students better than others. The people who run the show should match the pro partner with the learning styles of the students better.

How interesting that the judges show off as much as the dancers. And notice how the pro partners make sure they get noticed, during and after the dance, even if it means they outshine their partners.

sk8ergalgal
04-27-2010, 10:21 PM
I think the harsher comments might end up helping Evan. They gave him a little bit of a wake up call in that even though he is a good dancer still has a lot to improve on and gives him some more motivation to work hard each week, even with the demanding schedule.

Missed the results show sadly so I am assuming here that he did in fact survive another elimination round.

icedancer2
04-27-2010, 11:28 PM
Yes he is safe.

Skittl1321
04-28-2010, 10:59 AM
Pitting men against women on a dance show is silly. No guy can honestly compete with what a hot lady can do.

Anyway, there is something that totally puzzles me. ALL of the contestants are way too good.

And notice how the pro partners make sure they get noticed, during and after the dance, even if it means they outshine their partners.

There have been men who have won the competition- so I don't think your first point is completely valid- though I agree with you that ballroom dancing exists to showcase the woman.

And the contestants are not all too good- there have been many in the shows history who are PAINFUL to watch. (Men who stand still while their pro-dances around them are present every season). These people generally get voted off early, maybe if you didn't join in until the middle of the season you missed them.

I agree with you- the pro is just as much part of the show as the "star"- many are stars in their own right, and some have even come from other reality shows (like Chelsie and Dmitry from SYTYCD) and bring a fan following with them. I like Chelsie and Jake for Chelsie, I couldn't care less about Jake. The pro is creditted with the win as much as the star is- so I don't think it's "wrong" for them to outshine their star. Afterall, a star who benefits from a popular pro isn't going to complain about it.

let`s talk
04-29-2010, 01:08 AM
i agree with you that ballroom dancing exists to showcase the woman.

r.o.l.f.!!!

sk8ergalgal
05-03-2010, 10:43 PM
Well let's just say Evan brought it on tonight! He did an amazing Argentine Tango tonight that earned the first perfect score of the season and the first 10 from Len Goodman.

I really liked his team in the Team Madonna dance off, however I felt that he should have done his solo part with Anna third and not have gone first. Judges liked the sexier Team Gaga however, so it was the team score that hurt Evan tonight. They got 24 out of a possible 30. He is in a tie for first overall with Nicole Scherzinger.

Nancy
05-04-2010, 12:21 PM
I actually liked the Team Madonna choreography better than Team Gaga, but Madonna had some execution problems. I wasn't surprised that the judges scored Gaga higher.

sk8ergalgal
05-04-2010, 09:42 PM
Evan survived another elimination show to dance another week!

icedancer2
05-05-2010, 02:52 PM
Just a guess but I think he will make it to the finals.

Just depends on the fans.

Petlover
05-07-2010, 01:02 PM
I have been using all my votes for Evan, he is a fantastic dancer because he works so hard at it. When I first heard he was paired with Anna, I was a bit concerned, but it has turned out to be the best pairing possible - she "gets" Evan and knows how to bring out the best in him.

sk8ergalgal
05-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Well Evan had another great week this week dancing a futuristic Cha Cha and a graceful Waltz. I definitely thought the waltz was going to be his dance. He really needs to keep working hard if he wants to beat Nicole for the mirror ball trophy!!

Also I found this cool video of Cheryl and Tony choreographing a paso for the new Toy Story 3 movie. It looks great: http://media.digisynd.com/AQAAAEhl7l7P3abMXZKlu9GSP1sn1xNn_____9qnUPl-LCvqWBRDOWqQx1nQgSwE/play;frame=AQAAAFXEqWYnTLTP-KodsdLQjMEn1xNn_____wJw3Bw1MD1hB9KjlddAr-kKUphI/

Query
05-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Is DWTS rigged?

The U.S. has a rule that game shows can't be rigged. But, AFAIK, there is no such rules for other competitions (e.g., certain sports).

I was looking over the back ground of who is competing (http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/37159939/ns/today-entertainment/#storyContinued which also claims the show is scripted) and realized that they couldn't let a popular American Olympic gold medalist like Evan be beat overall by an ex-burlesque dancer like Nicole. It might present the wrong message.

Or would the scandal be good for ratings?

The real question is, is there any reason to assume any of this is real, and not all pretty much decided in advance? Maybe every comment the judges make has been carefully rehearsed too.

Some folks in this thread are biased to want a figure skater to win, without regards to who dances best. Whereas I'm completely unbiased. May the prettiest girl win! :D

Artemis
05-17-2010, 06:39 PM
I don't know that it is rigged, but I certainly wouldn't fall off my chair if someone showed me evidence that it is.

These talent shows are first and foremost about marketing. Talent and who "deserves" to win is a low second. If the powers-that-be have any reason to think that a "winner" is not marketable, is not going to allow them to sell all the toothpaste they need to ... I'm absolutely certain that they'll step in to change the results. Isn't there some vague small print to that effect that flashes on the screen for a microsecond?

I remember about 8 years or so ago watching a show called "America's Next Top Stand-up Comic" or something along those lines. There was one comedian who was far and away the funniest, as determined by me and by the judges (who were themselves comics). But he didn't make the cut. The show producers decided he was unsuitable in some way (can't even remember why), so he was gone. That was pretty much it for me, and I haven't watched any "talent shows" since then.

But of course it's impossible to know the preferences of the voting public for a show like DWTS. Obviously Evan is hugely popular here, but is that representative of the wider society?

Isk8NYC
05-17-2010, 09:40 PM
I think parts of the show are contrived, as if each pair MUST have an "off week" just for the drama and angst of their fans. I don't think anyone would sign up if there were actual rigging going on; why would they want to associated with cheating? It wouldn't do their reputations any good and it seems like many of the celebrities aren't currently as in demand as Evan, so they can't afford to be looked down upon.

Still, I wonder why they don't announce the audience vote tallies. It seems like those votes are able to keep a star going even if the judges dislike their dancing. So why doesn't the show display a leaderboard anywhere? Things that make me go hmmmm....

No matter, Evan was awesome tonight. The Paso Doble was out-and-out sexy. I actually rewound it to double-check the ending, lol. If that doesn't win him some new fans, I don't know what will. I fast-forwarded all of Chad's dances because I just don't care what he does. The other two celebrities are tough acts to beat, so kudos to Evan and Anna for their scores tonight.

For the record, Donny Osmond is still really handsome.

icedancer2
05-17-2010, 11:07 PM
I'm sure some of it is contrived just as IS8NYC says -

But what I love about the show is how people grown through the process. In the end I don't care who wins (although of course I voted for Evan, rooted for Christie and Apollo) but just watching people do this really hard thing, do it well in front of millions of people - I don't think I will ever grow tire of it!

(Go Evan!)

Query
05-18-2010, 12:54 PM
If it's rigged, Evan and Anna will win. They've been in second place a lot, and people love to root for the underdog.

Anyone know if Anna's Cha Cha underware outfit would have been appropriate and acceptable in night clubs that host Cha Cha dance? It would surely have been criticized in a figure skating context. Brazen hussy, compared to which Nicole is a poor sweet little innocent pussy cat who better deserves our sympathy, support and admiration. Erin is sweet too.

Who's Evan? Isn't he the guy who couldn't pull off a quad, so had to forgo Ruskaya Platinum?

Skittl1321
05-18-2010, 01:57 PM
I don't think it's rigged. The first season was won by someone so unpopular that they had them come back for a fan only dance off, and the 2nd place person won.

I do think much of it is contrived though- I don't ever think the bottom 2 is actually the bottom 2, just the bottom 1 and someone who will serve the shows purposes best.

Query- no idea if Anna's Cha Cha outfit would be allowed in clubs, but professional ballroom competitions are notorious for outfits like that. They make ice dancers look well covered.

ISk8NYC- I don't think they show the leader board because then there are no "shocking eliminations"- and they'd have to have a real bottom 2. Some weeks they are very careful not to say "bottom 2" but just some variation of "not yet safe"

Isk8NYC
05-18-2010, 02:12 PM
I didn't realize that; I've never watched more than a few times before this season. I thought they made up "Bottom Two" and "Top Two" pairoffs on each results show, so I figured it was based on those counts. Thanks.

Hmmm...I wonder if the audience vote tallies they use for the "bottom feeders" are one-week only counts or if they're cumulative from the beginning of the season? I suspect many fans of now-gone celebrities no longer vote for anyone since their favorite is out of contention.

I read somewhere that "making the finals" means the contestants get the most prize money other than the overall winner.

TreSk8sAZ
05-18-2010, 02:24 PM
I read somewhere that "making the finals" means the contestants get the most prize money other than the overall winner.

Pretty much. For each show, there is a certain amount the "stars" are paid. This amount goes up at certain intervals - for example, the top four make less than the top 3, which makes less than the finals. There was an article about that when Shawn Johnson was on it, but I don't remember where it was.

ETA: here's the link to the story: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/29919067/

icedancer2
05-18-2010, 02:35 PM
I don't think it's rigged. The first season was won by someone so unpopular that they had them come back for a fan only dance off, and the 2nd place person won.

Actually the first season Kelly Monaco won because of her fan base - she was clearly not the better dancer so they had a dance-off in the fall and the other guy won (he played the character "Peterman" in Seinfeld - John something... actually the dancing has improved SO MUCH since that first show!

The best dancer does not always win but more recently the Final is three couples instead of just two.

I obviously know too much about this show but I love it!

Skittl1321
05-18-2010, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the correction. I got it backwards.

Query
05-18-2010, 04:38 PM
I don't buy that celebrities wouldn't participate in a rigged contest for money and fame. Think of it as acting. Not everything that occurs on TV dramas is real either. But for live apparent contests like this one, they probably won't let someone win who does really badly, so they aren't be 100% choreographed - just like certain controversially judged sports that quite a few celebrities participate in.

Maybe DWTS is no more rigged than some of those sports have been claimed to be.

Good thing that this show and the aforesaid sports don't violate the US law on rigged TV contests (http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/47/usc_sec_47_00000509----000-.html), or we couldn't watch them on TV.

Keeping the audience responses secret is little different in principle than keeping the decisions of individual judges secret in certain sports.

Anyway, I look forward to the next episode.

Isk8NYC
05-18-2010, 06:04 PM
Yeah, that is a good thing, you're right.

I loved the interviews from last night with Scotty, Vera Wang, and (my hero) Frank Carroll. They really drove home the point that Evan is a hard-working, determined young man. I think the isolation point was important, too. His mother, Tonya, is so sweet.

sk8ergalgal
05-18-2010, 08:56 PM
Definitely loved the interview with Scott Frank and Vera as well. I thought though that they should have mentioned that Kristi won dancing with the stars in season 6 when she was talking. I really hope that Evan wins.

Isk8NYC
05-24-2010, 11:06 AM
The USFSA just sent out an e-mail blast, reminding members (and everyone else) to Vote For Evan!

Dear Member,

U.S. Figure Skating encourages you to vote for Olympic champion and Dancing With the Stars (DWTS) finalist Evan Lysacek as he competes for the coveted Mirror Ball Trophy tonight on ABC at 8/7 CST. Vote online at http://abc.go.com/shows/dancing-with-the-stars/vote (http://eblast.usfigureskating.org:81/CT00029101MzAxNzIA.HTML?D=2010-05-24) (Voting opens Monday at the start of the show and closes at 11a.m. Eastern/8a.m. Pacific Tuesday) . If you are an AT&T subscriber you can text VOTE to 3406 to vote for Evan (standard text message and data fees may apply) .

Good luck Evan!

Regards,

U.S. Figure Skating

Finals for dancing are on ABC TONIGHT (5/24)
Tomorrow night's results program could be telling...

icedancer2
05-24-2010, 04:52 PM
Am I delusional enough to think that he could actually win?

Hope so!!

sk8ergalgal
05-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Oh I am seriously pulling for him to win, as I see him as the toughest competitor out there and the one with the most demanding schedule that should be rewarded for his hard work. However it is going to take everyone's votes tonight. :D

Isk8NYC
05-24-2010, 08:57 PM
Vote for Evan and Anna!

800-868-3406
http://cdn.abc.go.com/shows/dancing-with-the-stars/vote?cid=abc_ss1_dws_vote (http://cdn.abc.go.com/shows/dancing-with-the-stars/vote?cid=abc_ss1_dws_vote)

Jaana
05-25-2010, 03:07 AM
Evan & Anna

Viennese Waltz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-M5T-1a4A4

Freestyle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnsXR7wl1pY

WOW, I enjoyed both performances very much! Their dances were underscored, in my opinion.

icedancer2
05-26-2010, 01:53 PM
Upset with the final result - sure Nicole was the best dancer but... EVAN should have won!!!!!!

Isk8NYC
05-26-2010, 02:53 PM
I knew Evan and Anna weren't going to win - you just had to look at Anna's face after their freestyle dance on Monday. She knew the judges had already made up their mind on who was going to win. Both Evan and Anna were first-class competitors.

No skin off my nose - I didn't know who Nicole was before and she's still a nobody to me. I only watched DWTS for Evan, so I've already deleted the record programming from my DVR. Hope Anna does well in the future, on DWTS or elsewhere. She's truly lovely to watch.

As for Evan, he's still an Olympic Gold Medalist. No one will remember who won DWTS this season in a few years, but his name will be in the record books forever.

As a bonus, he made it to the very-final round, so he gets almost the top prize money. He was paid to perform some fantastic dances, plus he earned some new endorsements from the exposure. (Meaning the semi-private jet company deal.)

I'm sure Evan's skating will be better than ever with the performance and dance skills he's gained from this experience. One side note: what a great competitor - never whiny, always upbeat and positive, gracious in victory and defeat.

He should take some free time to rest and recoup and maybe get a love life, lol. He's certainly earned it, along with admiration for being such a great role model.

PS - as a side note: someone on another board suggested that he should be sent a "Platinum Disco Ball" consolation prize, ala Plushy's foolishness. I doubt he'd want to get involved after seeing the fallout from that debacle after the Olympics.

icedancer2
05-26-2010, 03:02 PM
I'm sure Evan's skating will be better than ever with the performance and dance skills he's gained from this experience. One side note: what a great competitor - never whiny, always upbeat and positive, gracious in victory and defeat.

I was thinking that if nothing else learning to dance will help him as a professional skater - I've always liked Evan's skating okay but only very occassionally was uplifted by his performances. Now I think he will bring a lot more to the table... or to the ice for that matter. Looking forward to seeing him on Sunday in SOI - it's the last stop on the tour so it should be FANTASTIC.

I have watched DWTS since the beginning and have generally enjoyed it very much but after this time... I think I may not be so into it. I didn't particularly like any of the personalities (except Evan of course) but otherwise... bleah... not so much growing this year - it seems like the show has almost become a parady of itself... which is what generally happens to stuff like this anyway.

Oh well. :giveup:

Isk8NYC
05-26-2010, 03:05 PM
Maybe there will be celebrities in the audience at SOI from DWTS.

Enjoy the SOI performance - it should be exciting, being the last stop.

AgnesNitt
05-26-2010, 03:26 PM
Well, I don't know who they'll have for season 11, but I'd sure like it to be Belbin and Agosta competing with different partners, or Johnny Weir. ;)

Mel On Ice
05-26-2010, 04:01 PM
Upset with the final result - sure Nicole was the best dancer but... EVAN should have won!!!!!!

You contradict yourself there. If the best dancer won, then what's the problem?

Evan's Footloose reminded me of his Grease program from 2005 - not the best choice heading into a major competition.

icedancer2
05-26-2010, 05:14 PM
You contradict yourself there. If the best dancer won, then what's the problem?
Evan's Footloose reminded me of his Grease program from 2005 - not the best choice heading into a major competition.

Not really, LOL - Nicole is DANCER and was one before this show. Not fair. Wuzrobbed.

I liked the Footloose freestyle and wondering where the H*LL those "8"s came from... it was a good dance IMHO.

Not biased of course.

:roll:

icedancer2
05-26-2010, 05:17 PM
Maybe there will be celebrities in the audience atet SOI from DWTS.

Enjoy the SOI performance - it should be exciting, being the last stop.

Interesting thought although doubtful as it is Portland, OR - not a destination for a lot of people, although very pleasant... and wet...

But yeah, this last stop should be fun - we're usually at the beginning of the tour and get the "raggedy show" - this should be fun - plus our club is going to a pre-show event which might be fun and worthy of some photo opportunities :D.

Query
05-27-2010, 01:57 AM
Yay, Nicole! The best and lovliest girl did win, which was the way it always should be.:D

Let's put it this way. Evan has the extraordinary athletic skill of an Olympian. He has solid discipline and an ability to master complex technical moves, and makes very few mistakes.

Nicole combines all that with a truly spectacular level of beauty and raw sexuality - every man who watched will dream of her - coupled with the level transcendent athleticism that Olympians themselves dream of. She is particular strong in the way she interacts with her partner. She is as good or better a dancer than any of the pro partners, perhaps not quite technically as dance judges would see it (I don't know their criteria), but in terms of the energy she brings to the performance.

The judges knew they had to pick her, because she was so much better that any other decision would have made any rigging too obvious. Evan said as much after it was over - a gracious concession that reflects well on his character.

But I disagree with the statement by one of the judges that Nicole and Derik's final Jive dance was the best dance of the best season DWTS has had. Jive did not allow her to fully display the partner interaction and remarkable athleticism that are her strong points. I loved their Argentine Tango better.

The judges made an arbitrary decision to keep Evan rather than Erin in the final two contenders, because he has more of an outside reputation, and he had danced better at the beginning of the show, rather than by how they danced in the finals. Evan and Anna's freestyle dance was like a freestyle skating performance - lots of athletic skill, but simply didn't include any of the inter-partner interaction that a couples dance requires. It would not have been judged well as an ice dance or pairs skating performance either, because he never looked at his partner, and they stayed far apart.

Evan made the same decision on Dancing With the Stars that Sasha Cohen made in her second bid to reach the Olympics. Stars on Ice is the top long term professional gig that a professional skater can aspire to. Each of the two made a decision not to quit skating with them. Sasha didn't need a second Olympic medal to continue to be a leading light on SOI, nor did Evan need a Dancing With The Stars Mirror Ball to do so. But I agree the dance coaching he received for the show can only improve his Stars on Ice Performance, because they include couples dance on ice.

On the other hand, while Nicole wasn't a nobody, winning this will elevate her career to a much more substantial degree. It's more respectable than her burlesques tour with the Pussycat Dolls. As far as I can tell, she was also a somewhat popular solo music star, but not near the top. It is completely predictable that she will now get a slew of opportunities to dance and sing in movies, and that her career as a singer will advance as well, because everyone will know of her. She made the right professional decision to devote herself completely to DWTS for this competition.

What the show has done is more questionable. They were always somewhat popular. Bringing in celebrities with very serious dance and athletic skill was successful in bringing them a lot of new publicity this season, but it fundamentally altered the nature of the show. Most viewers can't relate to these celebrities at all, because they know the celebrities started out at a much higher athletic level than they can dream of. Will they be able to keep their audience in future seasons? I'm not talking about the figure skating world that mostly wanted Evan to win more than he himself did; I'm talking about the general viewing public.

There is also too much of a sexual undertone, in dance themes, comments and costumes, for the show to be judged good general family fair.

Isk8NYC
05-27-2010, 10:27 AM
That's one of the reasons I wouldn't watch the show in the future. Many of the dances and costumes wouldn't be out of place in a strip club. My kids said that Nicole routine was "nasty" and Erin's outfits showed too much.

We all think Maks is a creep who likes to expose himself and touch people inappropriately.

Query
05-27-2010, 02:12 PM
Whereas figure skaters always show proper decorum and excellent good taste.

Isk8NYC
05-27-2010, 03:30 PM
Whereas figure skaters always show proper decorum and excellent good taste.
Snicker! Yes, of course.