View Full Version : Beginning figure skating at 18 years old (miscellaneous questions)

ktm
02-28-2010, 12:02 AM
Hey all.
I’m 18, and I am obsessed with figure skating. Usually, I just watch.. but now that I have the funds, I want to learn this beautiful sport and, hopefully, compete one day! In the meantime, however, I have a few questions.

I have no idea if I’m naturally good at skating.
1) Is there anything that might signify this, and
2) is there anything that will help me figure out whether this is a sport that my body will be able to endure for years to come?

[[I’ve been to a public session at my local arena a total of 4 times in my life, and I suppose I’m better on the ice than many with my level of inexperience.. It does vary, but I do know that I can be fairly quick and even comparatively agile on the ice assuming the rental skates aren’t dull as death.]]

3) I won’t be able to hit the ice often. Going to college in about 6 months and having limited funds are the main cause of that. But, is there anything I can do in the meantime to help me improve my game? I will be doing off-ice stretches/exercises, for sure, but is there anything else? (As far as flexibility goes, I am about as inflexible as they come.)

I have heard of Pic Skates.. Supposedly they feel a lot like figure skates, and they seem like they might be good for practicing.
4) For such a beginner, would this even be a worthwhile investment??

Clarice
02-28-2010, 07:14 AM
Hi, ktm, and welcome to skating!

I don't think there's really any substitute for ice time - the more time you're able to spend on the ice, the faster you will progress. It's a challenge for many adult skaters - trying to find time to skate around the demands of school/job/family. We all just make the best of what we have and celebrate our progress, however slow it might be.

I have found ballet and pilates to be helpful off-ice, for flexibility, strength, balance, and body positioning. Check out the PE offerings at the school you will be attending. Many places offer dance, yoga, or pilates, all of which would be beneficial, and if you're really lucky they'll offer skating as a PE class, too.

I've never tried Pic Skates, but think that at the beginning they might be more trouble than they're worth. They're not going to behave exactly like blades on ice.

You definitely are not too old to begin learning - many of us were MUCH older than you when we started! When you turn 21, you will be able to enter the wonderful world of adult competition, which is a lot of fun!