View Full Version : Questions/Opinions about Olympics 2010 results

MVM
02-26-2010, 11:44 AM
Hi, I just joined this forum because I relaly love figure skating but know nothing about it. I am a ballet dancer and I really identify watching the ladies skate.

I hope someone can answer my questions. For instance, it seemed to my inexperienced eye that Mirai did better than Joannie and still Joannie got higher scores...does anyone think the same? Could someone explain why joannie got more points? She messed up twice I think...

Also, I always wonder whether showing more flexibility in biellmans spins, or the spirals, adds points to the score? It really looks a lot better when their legs are higher up!! But I have the impression this is not taken into account...Because of this, I also feel that Mirai is better than Rachael Flatt and Joannie...

Ok, hope someone can comment on my post! I am really interested in learning more about this sport!

Best

Artemis
02-26-2010, 11:57 AM
Hi, and welcome -- I hope this will help develop your skating fanship!

Mirai did indeed outscore Joannie on the technical, or elements side. Where Joannie beat Mirai is on the "program components" score, which includes transitions, interpretation, choreography, performance, and overall skating skills. This isn't surprising: Joannie is older and more mature than Mirai, and skated a much more sophisticated program. Mirai is still developing -- she has a lot of artistry for someone so young, but it's not all quite there yet. But I don't think it will be very long before we see her on a world podium.

Also, I always wonder whether showing more flexibility in biellmans spins, or the spirals, adds points to the score? It really looks a lot better when their legs are higher up!! But I have the impression this is not taken into account...Because of this, I also feel that Mirai is better than Rachael Flatt and Joannie...

Yes, it does add points to the score -- and again, Mirai got better technical marks for elements like her spectacular layback spin that incorporates the Biellman position. But that's only one element, and her base technical score (i.e., the total point value of what she planned) was actually lower than Joannie's (Mirai's step sequences were lower level, as were a couple of the spins). Where Mirai made up the difference though with more positive grade of execution marks -- how well she performed each element.

Clarice
02-26-2010, 11:58 AM
Just looking at the long program numbers, Mirai actually did score more points than Joannie on the Technical Elements mark - 65.83 to Joannie's 62.80. But Joannie scored 68.48 in the Program Component Score, compared to Mirai's 60.56, which more than made up the difference. The Program Components are Choreography/Composition, Transitions/Linking Footwork, Interpretation, Performance/Execution, and Skating Skills. Joannie scored higher in all these categories. This should link you to the protocols.

http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-figure-skating/schedule-and-results/ladies-free-skating_fsw010101pB.html

znachki
02-26-2010, 03:19 PM
Welcome MVM!

The other thing to keep in mind is that the freeskate totals from last night are added to the short program totals from the night before, so even if Mirai had gotten somewhat higher scores (and the EuroSports folks think she should have), she may still not have won, since her short program score was nearly 10 points lower than Joannie

Query
02-27-2010, 10:30 AM
MVM, why not skate yourself? You'd probably be great!

I met a ex-ballet dancer who was practicing the hardest jumps that ladies did after skating less than a year. (She'd been a high level dancer, but it shows some skills and the physical fitness must transfer.)

I also knew a ballet teacher who switched to skating because skate teachers usually make a better living. (Yeah, I know, How Crass.)

MVM
02-28-2010, 09:53 AM
Hi!!!

Thanks for all your answers, I think I now undersand why Joannie won! I really liked Mirai better but what you say makes sense. I also like Mirai better than Rachael Flatt....probably because I really look at flexibility and body because of my ballet training! I also love Sasha Cohen for the same reasons...

I used to figure skate when I was like 8 but moved to Central America where we dont have skating rinks!!!! Sad I know...but I wasnt great anyway, I was afraid of falling hehehe....

I think figure skaters are amazing and so brave; its impressinve how they can handle pressure and all the things they have to endure to get to their levels...Ballet is similar... I know its not a sport, but it should be included in olympics!! It is kind of like a sport dont you think???

MVM
02-28-2010, 10:46 AM
I have another question, perhaps dumb, but do figure skaters ever crash against the walls? I'm always concerned about this when Im watching!!
When they are about to jump they are going backwards and I feel that they are about to crash!!!

Schmeck
02-28-2010, 11:12 AM
Well, once, Midori Ito actually jumped out of the rink into a camera pit...

Yes, skaters do bump the walls (especially in synchronized skating - 16 skaters on the ice in a pack, the walls come up quite quickly sometimes!) but I can't remember anyone jumping into the boards - wait there was one skater, but I can't remember who it was!

Skittl1321
02-28-2010, 05:05 PM
At Nationals two years ago when Mirai crashed into the walls it was right after a jump, and possibly as part of a combo going into the second jump (I don't remember...) It was an NHL rink, and she is clearly used to an Olympic rink- the walls come up really fast when the rink is smaller than you are used to!

Johnny Weir crashed into the walls during a Nationals too- awhile ago.

It's actually quite common to see skaters fall and slide into the walls. This Olympics had the fewest falls I can remember- but possibly only because NBC showed so little of it...

I think you'd have a hard sell getting ballet into the Olympics- even the ballet dancers I've met who do competitions refuse to say it is a sport. So convincing the IOC would be even tough.

Query
02-28-2010, 05:52 PM
There are collegiate ballet sports competitions.

Also, there are international ballet competitions, e.g., http://www.nytimes.com/1981/04/10/arts/ballet-competition-set-for-june.html

I don't know anything about this. In the U.S., it may partly be an attempt to get Title IX money (a law that requires colleges that receive federal aid to expend similar amounts of resources on male and female sports) into the hands of underfunded dance departments.

Many schools in the U.S. have "Dance Teams" that mostly do performances at things like the half-times of college basketball games, and they run their own competitions, complete with judging. Some of them include Ballet elements. Again, it may be a Title IX thing.

As near as I can tell, Dance Auditions are at least as competitive athletic activities as some sports. But some Dance enthusiasts consider Dance to be an Art rather than a Sport. I still don't know what that means.