View Full Version : Buying My First Skates on Monday!

Sawyer365
02-26-2010, 01:56 AM
I'm going to get my first pair of Figure Skates on Monday, is there anything I should keep in mind? I heard you should try 2 sizes smaller than your Shoe Size, is that true for everyone? I also don't have super thin socks but they aren't thick either, should I get super thin socks before Skate Shopping? I'm going to the skate shop at my rink, is that a bad idea?

By the way, I'm going to be pretty busy with packing and moving this weekend so if I don't have time to reply, I would like to thank you all very much in advance.

caffn8me
02-26-2010, 03:21 AM
The advice about two sizes too small is from someone who really knows nothing about skate fitting. Different brands have different fittings for the same apparent size. There are different widths too.

Your best bet is to go to a reputable supplier (get recommendations from several good skaters at your rink) wearing thin non-ribbed socks and get measured properly. You shouldn't wear thick socks inside figure skates. If none of the boots you try on feel as though they fit comfortably, don't be bullied in to buying a pair just because that's what the shop has in stock. Either try another shop or get the one you are at to order in a better size for you to try. It is a false economy getting a slightly wrong size just because you can get it sooner.

Good luck!

Sarah

Isk8NYC
02-26-2010, 07:36 AM
You can send the skating director at the rink an email to ask about what fitter to use. Tell him/her that you're an almost-adult beginner and you'd like to get skates that will suit your needs. You don't want to be overbooted and you don't want to be underbooted. Since your feet won't grow much (if at all) you need a pair that will last a while. Since you want to go into dance, the director might be able to recommend someone with experience to guide you in choosing boots and blades. Sometimes the best fitter isn't at the rink. I know of a few pro shops that aren't inside the rink.

IMPORTANT: Call and make an appointment for the fitting. The clerk behind the counter might not be trained properly. You don't want to waste the time or energy using an inexperienced fitter.

I second the "don't be tricked into buying what's in stock" suggestion. Too often, a pro shop will try to sell a larger size when you really need a wider boot.

Let the shop measure you with both Riedell and Jackson tools, including the width, then WRITE DOWN the size/width. They'll probably be different, so note which is which. If you have to place an order, do it. It's worth the delay to wear skates that fit.

Make sure the skate size you get is the right measurement. A few fitters have told me stories about getting a box labeled with one size, but the inside of the boot says something else. That's why you need the measured sizes written down. It's amazing how fast a size can leave your head.

Also, don't fall for the "factory sharpening" myth. It's just a way for the fitter to save money and time - you'll end up sliding around the ice within a few wearings. Most good fitters include the initial sharpening in the price. I had a fitter show me (with some cool magnetic measuring tools) how "off" the sharpened edges on a brand-new pair of high end blades can be with the factory sharpening.

Pick up a pair of terrycloth soakers and a pair of hard rubber blade guards. Ask the shop to cut the rubber guards to the right size so you're all set for skating. (A few shops have this cool cutting tool - it's like a paper cutter. So much easier than trying to do it at home with a kitchen knife.) Write your name on the hard guards - all guards look similar.

Put a drying rag in a bag along with the skates. The soakers go on after you dry the skates and before you put them in the bag. They collect any condensation that forms and prevent rusting. The hard guards go on when you wear the skates off-ice. You can leave them by the side of the rink.

Good luck! Have a safe trip.

Streak
02-26-2010, 08:06 AM
I'm going to get my first pair of Figure Skates on Monday, is there anything I should keep in mind? I heard you should try 2 sizes smaller than your Shoe Size, is that true for everyone? I also don't have super thin socks but they aren't thick either, should I get super thin socks before Skate Shopping? I'm going to the skate shop at my rink, is that a bad idea?

By the way, I'm going to be pretty busy with packing and moving this weekend so if I don't have time to reply, I would like to thank you all very much in advance.

I'd like to reiterate the advice from Caffn8me and Isk8NYC to be firm if someone tries to sell you something you're very uncomfortable in. I'm also a new skater and I recently had a bad experience with this. There's no harm at all in telling them you want to take another day or two to think it over (figure skates aren't cheap, after all, so it makes sense to carefully look at all your options).

Having said that, as someone new to figure skates, you may come to a point where you just have to trust the word of an experienced pro. So if you DO buy skates you're not quite sure of, make sure to verify in advance that you can return them within 30 days (or whatever you both agree to), without any hassle, if it turns out that they won't work for you.

Hope you have fun with your new skates :)

Kim to the Max
02-26-2010, 08:23 AM
I want to echo what others have said, but, as someone new to figure skating, I would make sure that you also trust the advice of your fitter to an extent. Skates should NOT hurt, BUT they will NOT fit like sneakers. They are meant to fit very closely to your foot. Don't mix up snug and too tight.

Sawyer365
02-26-2010, 10:54 AM
Thank you guys SO much, I would have been helpless if it weren't for your help! What price should I ''expect'' to pay for them, just to know that I'm not getting out of my league. Can I skate on them immediately? (not a lesson, just for fun and to get a hang of the ice.) Or do I have to break them in first or do you break them in by skating? haha

Clarice
02-26-2010, 11:06 AM
Wildly estimating here, because it can vary so much - but maybe in the neighborhood of $500 all told? Around $200 for the blades, and $200-$300 for the boots. I'm looking at mid-range boots, since you're older, and MK Professional or Coronation Ace blades to get those price ranges.

Once the blades are mounted and sharpened, you can skate on them right away. We used to have to do all kinds of off-ice things to help break the boots in, but since the advent of heat molding it's not such a big deal any more. You'll probably be able to break them in just skating in them.

Isk8NYC
02-26-2010, 11:10 AM
I think a pair of Jackson Marquis or Freestyles with stock blades will do for now. Riedell's renamed everything, but if they have a Gold Medallion (or equivalent) in stock, it would be fine.

I would say $250 at the most. Just mho.

Clarice
02-26-2010, 11:18 AM
I think a pair of Jackson Marquis or Freestyles with stock blades will do for now. Riedell's renamed everything, but if they have a Gold Medallion (or equivalent) in stock, it would be fine.

I would say $250 at the most. Just mho.

I think Isk8NYC is probably right, in that this equipment would be fine for now. I went a little higher on the grounds that your feet have likely stopped growing. You're going to need to replace your boots every so often anyway - mine last about 2-3 years - so you could always upgrade when you need a new pair.

RachelSk8er
02-26-2010, 12:16 PM
I think Isk8NYC is probably right, in that this equipment would be fine for now. I went a little higher on the grounds that your feet have likely stopped growing. You're going to need to replace your boots every so often anyway - mine last about 2-3 years - so you could always upgrade when you need a new pair.

Yeah. I know you're enthusiastic about skating and have big goals, but again...control yourself :) You DO NOT need to walk out of the skate shop with the most expensive boot/blade combination given your level of skating. I would try to stay around $300. If you go over $500, you're spending too much.

Kristin
02-26-2010, 12:22 PM

Ooooo, the old "2 sizes too small" thing, LOL! It's not true. The best thing to do is to go to a place where they have an actual bootfitter who fits real figure skates. You will know you are in the right place if he has all the boot options from $80 all the way up to around $800, with boots being separate from blades. Of course, this is just an example. But if he/she is fitting higher level skaters, then it really is a good sign since they trust him/her with their feet. Skaters are very particular about our feet. :D

You can tell them you are a beginner & how often you are skating & what you are working on. A good bootfitter will never give you more boot than you need. You should be able to pick up a decent pair of first-time skates for less than $200 (depending on your foot/support needs). As you progress, the skates do become more expensive. But initially you do NOT need to be spending $1000.

Bring a pair of tights or very thin socks with you for the fitting since this is what you will be wearing in the boots. Athletic thick socks are a very bad idea. People always think their feet are going to be cold on the ice. If your feet get cold while skating, it is usually because you are standing around for a while (and that does happen from time to time, especially when you are doing things like listening to your coach or whatever). But go with the thinnest sock you have because that will ensure the best fit. :)

Best of luck!

Isk8NYC
02-26-2010, 12:25 PM
Realize that men's skates are more expensive and usually have to be ordered. Especially the larger skate/blade sizes.
(Bought skates for DH last year and was surprised to learn that fact.)

Very few skate shops keep adult sizes in stock, so be prepared to place an order.

Skittl1321
02-26-2010, 12:29 PM
Man you people with your "fitters" are all so spoiled.

Where's the fun if you get to do that? It's better to trace your foot, send it off to a pro-shop and hope the huge amount of money you shelled out is for a boot that fits.

/cries... needs new boots but refuses to do it that way again, and therefore needs an out of state trip

Isk8NYC
02-26-2010, 12:34 PM
/cries... needs new boots but refuses to do it that way again, and therefore needs an out of state trip*pats Skittle's shoulder* There, there, I feel your pain. I haven't found a great fitter down here and my trip to NYC / Klingbeil's is canceled. I might go up to the office next month as a pretense for getting new skates.

rlichtefeld
02-26-2010, 12:44 PM
Another option for skate fitting in the US is to attend (either as a competitor or fan) one of the larger competitions in your area. Usually, at least one of the boot fitters will be there as a vendor.

Adult Nationals usually has 3-4 boot makers, and even the Atlanta Open here in June has at least 1. Any of the Regional Championships will also have boot fitters. And, there are 9 of these around the country in the Fall.

Rob

Query
02-26-2010, 01:32 PM
>Isk8NYC wrote
>Also, don't fall for the "factory sharpening" myth.

Do you know of bad factory sharpenings from Ultima?

So far my Ultima blades have been factory sharpened consistently and well.

>Isk8NYC wrote
Put a drying rag in a bag along with the skates.

Then the moisture stays is the bag! Would it look too awful to tie the drying rag to the outside of the bag?

---

Many beginners are quite happy with a $50-$75 "SoftTek" or similar type Boot/blade combination. They are conformable, comfortable and cause few foot health problems.

If you are starting to do waltz jumps, or need deeper edges like an entry level ice dancer, you may want a little more support than SofTek boots can offer. think a typical rental boot pair costs about $200 (US) - maybe that is a good starting point? It is counterproductive to get boots less expensive than the rentals, unless you really can't make do with rentals. And I doubt a semi-beginner needs a blade pair that costs over $100 or so.

If you get a higher level boot, and you aren't a higher level skater, you are asking for foot problems, because they will never break-in, and you will have to deal with the same potential foot problems that sometimes occur in higher level skaters because the boots can not conform to your feet.

I love the idea of visiting several shops to see if one has something in stock that fits you well.

Slightly loose, or loose in spots, is easy to fix with tape. But super-tight is bad. For good foot health, nothing should cause pain and nothing should touch the front or sides of the toes.

You can fix a little too tight by stretching the leather, but it will keep un-stretching itself, so you will have to keep having it redone.

Be sure to come to the store with super-thin socks, like you should skate with.

Modifying Skate Fit and Balance for Health, Longevity and Performance (http://mgrunes.com/boots/boots.html)

Isk8NYC
02-26-2010, 01:39 PM
So far my Ultima blades have been factory sharpened consistently and well. Yes, but they were the Ultima Freestyle blades. The edges were uneven and required remedial sharpening, lol. I got a lecture about factory sharpening from a good fitter who said even Gold Seals like mine come in with sharpening issues from the factory.

Then the moisture stays is the bag! Would it look too awful to tie the drying rag to the outside of the bag?

Good suggestion - I was thinking about what to include in a skate bag; I didn't really mean "inside" after you use the rag. I usually recommend an outside pocket. I slipped this time.

Many beginners are quite happy with a $50-$75 "SoftTek" or similar type Boot/blade combination. They are conformable, comfortable and cause few foot health problems.

I looked at SoftTek's last week and I didn't like them at all. They force the skater into an upright angle and have little, if any, give to allow for knee bend. The toe pick is the tiniest little thing, mounted really high on the totally-flat blade. The Jackson Soft Skates are good, the Riedell's are just okay, imo.

For an almost-adult, I would steer away from the soft skates if you know you want to do figure skating. Leather provides a better combination of stiffness and flexibility once the skate's molded/broken in.

phoenix
02-26-2010, 03:41 PM
>Isk8NYC wrote
>Also, don't fall for the "factory sharpening" myth.

Yep, I have Ultima dance blades & both pairs I've owned needed a real sharpening when they came in. They come "somewhat" sharpened, IMO, but if you have any skills at all, their sharpening won't be sufficient. I skate on a 7/16 sharpening, don't know what they do at the factory, but it was a LOT flatter than that!! LOL, I was sliding all over the ice!

caffn8me
02-26-2010, 04:38 PM
Do you know of bad factory sharpenings from Ultima?Not exactly but I do know of a pair of Jackson skates with factory fitted Ultima blades on which one of the blades was actually bent - something an experienced sharpener spotted immediately the first time they were sharpened.

Sawyer365
02-26-2010, 08:06 PM
I called the Skate Shop and spoke to a very sweet and very professional woman. :)
She doesn't work on Mondays or Tuesdays so Wednesday is the day I'm going, she said for me to come in and she'll measure me and show me choices that they offer and order what will fit! That's sounds wonderful to me, does that sound good? :D

RachelSk8er
02-26-2010, 08:56 PM
I looked at SoftTek's last week and I didn't like them at all. They force the skater into an upright angle and have little, if any, give to allow for knee bend. The toe pick is the tiniest little thing, mounted really high on the totally-flat blade. The Jackson Soft Skates are good, the Riedell's are just okay, imo.

I was at my skate shop today and laughing at these. While they're fine for the person who goes to public session a few times a year and doesn't want to wear rentals, I don't think they're good for a beginner who actually wants to learn to be a figure skater for the same reasons. I don't see how you can learn to skate with the proper ankle bend in these.

My skate shop had some decent-looking beginner boot and blade combos for around $200 (some Jackson, some Riedell).

A good fitter should also take your height/weight into consideration, because that will also make a difference.

Isk8NYC
02-27-2010, 02:53 PM
That's sounds wonderful to me, does that sound good? :D
Sounds excellent!

caffn8me
03-04-2010, 04:53 PM
I called the Skate Shop and spoke to a very sweet and very professional woman named Daisy :)
She doesn't work on Mondays or Tuesdays so Wednesday is the day I'm going, she said for me to come in and she'll measure me and show me choices that they offer and order what will fit! That's sounds wonderful to me, does that sound good? :DWell, Wednesday was yesterday. Did you manage to get there? What happened?

Sarah

doubletoe
03-04-2010, 05:22 PM
You might want to try something around this level
http://www.usaskates.com/figureskating/jajs1892m.html
or this level
http://www.usaskates.com/figureskating/jadj2072m.html

I remember I started my figure skating classes in Jacksons that came with blade attached and cost around $150 (of course, that was all the way back in 1992). A lot of people like Riedells, too.

As for the fit, you do not want to have any extra room in the boots, but you also don't want the boots to press in on your foot or squeeze your toes. If they do--even a little-get a half size wider or longer, depending on whether they are too short or too narrow.

Sawyer365
03-05-2010, 06:21 PM
I got fitted for Skates and I ordered Custom-Made Harlick Boots. The Blades will be Comet since that's what was suggested and I'll have the Boots on the 15th!! :D

aussieskater
03-05-2010, 06:27 PM
I got fitted for Skates and I ordered Custom-Made Harlick Boots. The Blades will be Comet since that's what was suggested and I'll have the Boots on the 15th!! :D

Congratulations and I bet you can't wait (especially considering the other thread about the rentals!) Out of curiosity, why the custom route? Did stock sizes of the various brands not fit?

Sawyer365
03-05-2010, 07:06 PM
Exactly, None fit me perfectly and my parents were willing to get me custom-made so I definitely wasn't going to setlle for stock if I could get custom :D

Layne
03-08-2010, 03:37 PM
I'll have the Boots on the 15th!! :D

It's not physically possible to get custom made boots in 15 days. Harlick states on their website that custom boot orders take 8-12 weeks. I'm sure you're just 'custom ordering' a stock size. Not that it matters, I'm sure they'll be great.

RachelSk8er
03-08-2010, 04:04 PM
It's not physically possible to get custom made boots in 15 days. Harlick states on their website that custom boot orders take 8-12 weeks. I'm sure you're just 'custom ordering' a stock size. Not that it matters, I'm sure they'll be great.

Men's skates pretty much always have to be custom ordered, most skate shops don't stock them. I don't know about Harlick, but Reidell considers any modifications to stock boots (including colors other than white) to be "custom", even though they may really just be stock boots with slight changes (color, shearling tongue instead of the foamy stuff, etc). Those changes don't take as long as something more involved.

Sawyer365
03-08-2010, 04:13 PM
Well, whatever is being done she said "custom" so I just assumed. :??
Fully-Customized Molded to my feet or not, I'm still REALLY excited for them!! :D

sk8tmum
03-08-2010, 05:30 PM
Does Harlick have an entry-level boot, then? They're not that usual in our area, thus, I always thought that they were a fairly high-end/advanced skating boot. Looking at the price of them vs. other models, they seem quite expensive, if the Classic or Competitor is supposed to be the entry level one - ?

Sorry for the thread hijack, I'm a skate-geek and I'm always curious about the different brands.

Sawyer365
03-08-2010, 05:44 PM
Does Harlick have an entry-level boot, then? They're not that usual in our area, thus, I always thought that they were a fairly high-end/advanced skating boot. Looking at the price of them vs. other models, they seem quite expensive, if the Classic or Competitor is supposed to be the entry level one - ?

Sorry for the thread hijack, I'm a skate-geek and I'm always curious about the different brands.

Although it's against what I should have done, I didn't really ask too many questions. She recommended Harlick's and warned us of the price and so forth, that's all I really learned about them. To be honest, I trust her knowledge much more than I trust my own, She's been skating for 50 years and I could tell by her personality that she wouldn't steer me in the wrong direction. I read online that Harlick's don't have "entry-level" skates but perhaps they were the only ones that fit my feet? She also advised me getting Good-Quality skates because I won't be outgrowing them (I'm 16) So, Harlick's may be good skates for me to have longer than other brands. They also don't come with blades (Which is usually a sign of Non-Beginner, Correct?) but she advised on getting "Comet Blades" because they were a nice middle and not too advanced for me, Because of that I think she was 100% aware of my Completely-Beginner-Level Status. That probably sounds intensely jumbled up and confusing, if it is, I'm sorry! :lol:

sk8tmum
03-08-2010, 05:54 PM
Hmmm. Typically, entry level boots aren't too stiff, as you want to be able to bend your knee and learn proper skating technique; too stiff a boot may inhibit that. The Comets are a good blade, they are "flatter" than others which makes jumps easier, but can make spins difficult for some, and they are rated by Wilson up to triple jumps (okay, okay, I know, there' a great debate on that one from some of the posters).

We have a coach ourselves who underboots to allow for flex, toe point, knee bend, and to minimize impact on jumping ... but you've a ways to go before you need to worry about landing jumps!

Different boots fit different feet. I'm not sure how Harlicks fit ... pretty much no-one around our area uses them, Jacksons and Riedells (Klingbeils for the more advance) are the standard boots, with a few in Gams and the occasional very rare SP Teri. I know in other regions Harlicks are definitely more frequently used.

If your fitter comes well recommended and your coach recommended you go to her, I'm sure you've got a decent boot. Did she chat with your coach after fitting you? Some skate shops do that, to be sure that they are putting you in something that will work for the coach's goals!

Sawyer365
03-08-2010, 06:09 PM
If your fitter comes well recommended and your coach recommended you go to her, I'm sure you've got a decent boot. Did she chat with your coach after fitting you? Some skate shops do that, to be sure that they are putting you in something that will work for the coach's goals!

She's VERY well recommended and Very Respected with what she does, I trust her alottttt from what I heard (She also was kind enough to give me a tape of the Men's Free Program of the 2010 Olympics because I mentioned I missed the end :)). She recommended a coach for me (Who I hope to be able to learn under) She was a Russian Jn. National Champion and a Bronze & Silver Medalist at the Jn. World Championships. I spoke to her VERY briefly and she's very nice yet strict (Which I always learn best from.) :D

Layne
03-09-2010, 08:36 AM
Elena Dostatni

FWIW, that's pronounced "Leena" (not Elena, not Yelena, not Elaina, not Yelaina). In Russia it's polite to address elders by their first and middle name, rather than Mr. or Mrs. LastName like we do here. I don't know how you'd find out what here middle name is though unless you just ask.

RachelSk8er
03-09-2010, 10:48 AM
The Comets should last you quite a while. They'll have bigger toepicks than what most beginners tend to learn on (i.e. the blades with the typical boot/blade combinations), but you're better off over-blading than over-booting.

Isk8NYC
03-09-2010, 10:58 AM
FWIW, that's pronounced "Leena" (not Elena, not Yelena, not Elaina, not Yelaina). In Russia it's polite to address elders by their first and middle name, rather than Mr. or Mrs. LastName like we do here. I don't know how you'd find out what here middle name is though unless you just ask.
Don't make any cultural assumptions about a former Russian competitor coaching in the US. Most coaches follow the rink's culture and prefer to be addressed the same way as all the other coaches in that rink. I know a few older coaches from Europe who go by "Mr. ()" or "Mrs. ()", but there isn't as much formality these days, especially among younger coaches.

Just ask the coach how s/he wants to be addressed.

Sawyer365
03-09-2010, 12:29 PM
I'll definitely ask how to address her, first thing!
I'll probably call her "Mrs. Dostatni" at first, just greeting her, and then ask how to address her from there on. :)
She's 25 and speaks English without an overwhelming accent, I mean most people in America DO have accents now, So I'm sure that I'll be tempted to act really casual with her because she'll seem like a friend I'm just meeting up with. Although the fact that I've been warned how strict she is tells me to do otherwise. :lol:

renatele
03-09-2010, 12:48 PM
She's 25 and speaks English without an overwhelming accent so I'm sure that I'll be tempted to act really casual with her. Although the fact that I've been warned how strict she is tells me to do otherwise. :lol:

"Strict" can take on different "expressions". My coach is known for being very strict, yet I also have loads of fun with him, with both of us gently (or not) teasing each other etc. His reputation of being strict is based on his expectations of his students, the insistence on things being executed just so, on not allowing to get away with any sloppiness, etc. Of course, I'm also an adult with my own family and a child, so my relationship with a coach is different than yours will likely be.

It is, however, very very important that the coach's personality and teaching style works for you, and you won't know it until you have several lessons with her. Try to setup "trial" lessons first, so there won't be any awkward situations or misunderstandings in case you decide that someone else might be a better match.

dbny
03-09-2010, 03:02 PM

"Leena" is not the correct pronunciation, but might be short for Elena, like we would call a Michael "Mike". The correct Russian pronunciation is "Yelyena". Also, Russians do not use what we call a "middle" name. You are thinking of something we don't have in English, the patronymic, which is the father's first name with a suffix that indicates son or daughter of. These days, first name & patronymic are considered rather formal. I work with a lot of Russian coaches, and don't know one who goes by first name + patronymic, including the skating director.

It is, however, very very important that the coach's personality and teaching style works for you, and you won't know it until you have several lessons with her. Try to setup "trial" lessons first, so there won't be any awkward situations or misunderstandings in case you decide that someone else might be a better match.

ITA! There is no one coach who is right for everyone, no matter how highly regarded or successful.

jazzpants
03-09-2010, 04:14 PM
Not quite: There is an expedite service but you have to pay them extra $ for it.

Expedite Service: Harlick offers an expedite service for all custom boot orders. The expedite production time will be approximately 5-7 weeks. The charge for the expedite service is $95. Production will not begin until all information has been received and the deposit has been collected. An additional 2 weeks during summer vacation (7-9 weeks) and an additional 1 week during Christmas/New Year season (6-8 weeks) will be added to expedite production schedule.

Here is the page (http://www.harlick.com/pdf/price_custom.pdf) that explains all.

There is a difference between getting them "custom ordered" and "custom made." Custom ordered would be that they don't have it in stock but they can get it from Harlick and they probably already have a small batch of them made already. If you had it custom-made, you would have gone thru the process of getting your foot implant on some sort of mold. (You step into the mold to get a copy of your foot.) If it was custom-made, THEN it would take 8-12 weeks unless I put in a rush for it and I order their basic white or black boot leather... then MAYBE a little bit shorter.

I had my purple beauties in 2 months b/c they were out of my special purple leather and they had to reorder them. I already had a molding of my foot done and it's at their shop, so they don't need the extra time to wait for my molding to set before making the boots. :) (And of course, I also have the added advantage of living in the area where both Harlick and SP Teri skate factories resides! :) )

It's good that you're taking care of getting the boots now. During the summer or Christmas/New Years time is generally NOT a good time to get new boots.