View Full Version : Jill Trenary - Her attempt to raise the bar after 1990

joethepeach
02-21-2010, 11:34 PM
Hi all,

Was watching videos of various skaters (inspired of course by current Olympics) and was always a fan of Jill Trenary, who I believe was a very good "complete" skater.

My favorite skates of hers were 1987 Nationals LP, 1988 Nationals LP, 1988 Olympics SP and both her Nationals and Worlds LP's in 1990. (I really became a fan of hers because of that 1990's Long Program which I thought captured her personality, spunk and her strength at presentation and her elegant line quite nicely).

So I know the basic story that after 1990 World's Jill gets a really bad ankle injury and the Fassi's return to Italy, and Jill loses that guiding force that had been central to her career. And plus, she's no longer a young, spring chicken anymore.

What I've always wondered, but have not been able to find anything about, is whether Jill ever worked to include the Triple Lutz into her program?

Her 1998 long program included 6-triples, but she struggled to complete much more than 4, and her 1990 long program included 5 triples - and she usually did 4 or 5 out of the 5.

Had she been able to add a lutz to her flip, toe loop, and salchow and been able to do 5 or 6 out of 6 planned triples it seems to me she would have been a contender in 1992 - had she been healthy and focused in those years prior.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

What I want to know though is if any of you know if she was even trying to add the Lutz to her arsenal, or had she pretty much maxed out in both talent, youthfulness, effort and focus in 1990?

joethepeach
02-22-2010, 12:53 AM
Here is the LP from 1990 that I was referencing. Again, if you skate at this level - but can add a Lutz - it raises the question of whether Jill could have still been a contender with a program like this at 1992 Olympics?

1990 World's LP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFxBgF7jc-k

1990 National's LP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyMozeKlkjc

MQSeries
02-22-2010, 02:14 PM
I'm sure every elite skater works on all the different types of triple jumps in their trainings. Jill probably never got the lutz and loop and hence didn't attempted them in her actual competitive LPs.

joethepeach
02-22-2010, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the input MQ!

The only time I ever heard Trenary discuss a jump she had tried was when she said she couldn't do a triple axel, and had tried, and that Ito could, and she just had to accept that.

I know Trenary did a double loop following her triple flip in 1989, and you are probably right, the 'Trenary Team' probably tried to see if she could master a TRIPLE loop (and a lutz) but never could.

Was curious if folks who had seen her train knew if she was serious about trying to add a Lutz to the routine, or if it was just a foregone conclusion that it wasn't gonna happen.

Again - appreciate your response. I've much to learn about this sport and all that goes into it :)

joethepeach
03-10-2010, 10:36 PM
Bizarre that these Olympics should have made me look back at Trenary's career.

I just now read about the news that she and Christopher Dean have separated after 18 years of marriage and 2 kids.

Back on topic for the thread... I've now also learned that Trenary planned to do a triple loop (in addition to her triple toe loop and her triple-salchow and triple-flip) in the 1989 season LP (part of her arsenal of 4 different triples including the triple-double combo plus her trademark 1-foot-axel/triple-salchow combination she used quite effectively in her programs).

Still could not find mention of efforts by her to attempt to master the triple lutz (or even a double lutz for that matter).

Seen her say in a video clip she tried to do a triple-axel but just wasn't able to pull it off.

Johnny_Fever
03-11-2010, 03:21 PM
..............I just now read about the news that she and Christopher Dean have separated after 18 years of marriage and 2 kids.............Not a bad run. Most of us were guessing 18 days. :lol: