View Full Version : Tragedy Strikes Rochette

Muskoka Skater
02-21-2010, 01:11 PM
The mother of Canadian figure skating champion and Olympic medal hopeful Joannie Rochette died suddenly in Vancouver Sunday morning, shortly after arriving to watch her daughter compete.

Canadian team officials said Thérèse Rochette passed away after being rushed to Vancouver General Hospital.

Cause of the death has not been determined. She was 55.

Joannie Rochette was given the news by her father Normand at the Olympic Village this morning.

Officials said Ms. Rochette intends to compete at the Olympics, despite the shock of her mother's death.

Ms. Rochette's parents had arrived Saturday from Montreal.

The skater is currently closeted with friends and family, sharing in the grief.
Officials described her mood as focused and determined to compete.
The Rochette family is from the tiny town of Ile-Dupas, Que.

In her journal on Oct. 26, 2008, Rochette described her mother as an important critic of her skating.

"My mom, who was always close to me, took more distance from my skating for the last couple of years,'' Rochette wrote in 2008. "I was missing her input and support as well as her approach to getting more and more solid with my elements.

"She has always been the most critical person about my skating, pushing me harder to improve.

"Even if it requires quite a big deal of humility at 22 to admit you need more of your mother, I expressed it and she drives from home to St-Leonard once a week to come to supervise with her unique eyes my training."

Canadian chef de mission Nathalie Lambert choked with emotion as she expressed condolences to the Rochette family Sunday.

"It has actually just happened this morning," Ms. Lambert told reporters. "It's very emotional for me, and all of us, today."

http://http://www.ctvolympics.ca/figure-skating/news/newsid=48407.html#tragedy+strikes+rochette?cid=sbc tv

Schmeck
02-21-2010, 01:13 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with the Rochette family.

Isk8NYC
02-21-2010, 01:37 PM
So sad - prayers and strength for the family and friends.

Mrs. Rochette was always a huge advocate for her daughter and Joannie's skating career. I expect that she'll compete in memory of her mother. I hope she does well.

sk8ergalgal
02-21-2010, 01:47 PM
My heart is breaking for her.. I think sticking with the plan to still compete is the best thing for her. I know how tough she is! She can do it!!

flo
02-21-2010, 01:57 PM
My thoughts to her and her family, and hope that she can take comfort from surrounding friends.

FSWer
02-21-2010, 02:04 PM
I thought I heard something. about that. But I'm not sure. I hope everything is ok. BTW. does anyone know if Joannie was able to stay long enough to at least compete? Or did she go to the funnial right there and then?

Muskoka Skater
02-21-2010, 02:19 PM
I thought I heard something. about that. But I'm not sure. I hope everything is ok. BTW. does anyone know if Joannie was able to stay long enough to at least compete? Or did she go to the funnial right there and then?

Joannie is going to compete in the competition inspite of the tragic event.

My sister informed me that her mother has passed away from a heart attack.

Nicki
02-21-2010, 02:50 PM
How horrible for Joanie and her family. I will be praying for strengh for them to get through these next few days.

sk8ergalgal
02-21-2010, 03:15 PM

I don't understand what you are asking.. I hardly doubt they would have the funeral right the same day as she passed away. I assume that since she passed away in Vancouver that they would stay for the competition and then return home to Montreal and have a proper service.

znachki
02-21-2010, 06:41 PM
I don't understand what you are asking.. I hardly doubt they would have the funeral right the same day as she passed away. I assume that since she passed away in Vancouver that they would stay for the competition and then return home to Montreal and have a proper service.

Sk8 - Depending on ones religion or culture, funeral services can take place immediately - or as soon as possible - often the next day. So it is possible, even though in this case it isn't likely.

Sending white light to the Rochette family. Sadly I am reminded of Angela Nikodenev

Schmeck
02-22-2010, 06:33 AM

The women don't compete until later on this week.

6.0nomore
02-22-2010, 03:39 PM
Joannie, if you read this forum please know your Mother will be with you as you skate, and i guarantee she will want you to know how extremely proud she is of you.
All of Canada is behind you 100% and you are truly a role model for the younger generations may God bless you and your family in your time of sadness

Petlover
02-22-2010, 03:47 PM
Thoughts and prayers to Joannie and her family.

2boysmom
02-22-2010, 03:54 PM
Good thoughts to the entire family to get through this devastating time.

6.0nomore
02-24-2010, 10:01 AM
There wasnt a dry eye in our house after she skated her short:bow:

navkamarov
02-24-2010, 06:48 PM
Good Luck to her in the Free I am sure she will do great.