View Full Version : Evan Lysacek-The Hero of the day

let`s talk
02-17-2010, 08:26 AM
Evan was crying like a baby. What is wrong with him? Did he have tough time, injuries? Was her nervous, stressed and as the result- cried? No? Was it a show to win people`s and judges` hearts? Again no? What was it?

Heroes do not cry. Usually.

Oracle
02-17-2010, 11:53 AM
My guess...it was relief that he skated a clean short program. How heroic are you under pressure & in front of a world viewing audience? In his post interview he said he was proud not to have disappointed his family, friends & coaches.

twokidsskatemom
02-17-2010, 12:05 PM
Evan was crying like a baby. What is wrong with him? Did he have tough time, injuries? Was her nervous, stressed and as the result- cried? No? Was it a show to win people`s and judges` hearts? Again no? What was it?

I smell a troll, but lots of heroes cry..

jdachs
02-17-2010, 03:38 PM
Nerves have been an issue for him and he has worked SO hard to get to this point. When his coach said that he had to force him to stop practicing sometimes, that really was inspiring - such commitment to his sport!

Also, he would practice his entire program daily, even at the Olympics, while other skaters wouldn't. Before that, he was running through it at least 4 times a day so he said doing it one time a day was no big deal. I'm rooting for him!

Terri C
02-18-2010, 07:14 AM

I guess you've never heard of the expression "happy tears," no?
To train and train for this takes a LOT of time and energy. So to pull a clean program off at the BIGGEST figure skating event held every four years is a major accomplishment and, yes "happy tears" are allowed!

RachelSk8er
02-18-2010, 09:06 AM

Really? Have you ever competed and skated your best at a big competition? Your emotions are racing. When my last synchro team nailed our program at nationals and won the title (for me the culmination of 17 years in the sport and many disappointing silver and bronze medals at nationals), I cried for the rest of the day I was so emotional. Hell, I still tear up sometimes when I see the video or the photos of us in the kiss-and-cry when our score came up, and this was 2 years ago!

And he has been battling a foot injury.

let`s talk
02-18-2010, 10:23 AM
Ok. Fine. I assume all others were also happy but...

stevlin
02-18-2010, 12:57 PM

Why do you say "Was her nervous"? First of all Evan is a "he". Secondly proper English would be "Was "she" nervous?" . Really should have been "Was he nervous"? I am sure the tears were happy tears. It's ok for a man to show emotions.

Isk8NYC
02-18-2010, 01:06 PM
Could be a language barrier, perhaps not an intentional slight.

This isn't baseball, it's figure skating. Other Winter Olympic sports give their athletes a chance to compete for medals in multiple events. Look at Bonnie Blair or Dan Jensen - while they had to qualify for each of the events they medaled in, they had a shot at it. The closest we've come is having someone qualify for both singles and pairs. Given the amount of work and money needed, that's an anamoly in our sport.

Skaters have to skate two completely different perfect programs in each discipline to get one shot at Olympic gold. Gee, I wonder why our figure skating athletes are under such pressure and get emotional? That's all right with me.

My new campaign is to have the IOC award three sets of medals for each figure skating discipline. It's just hardware and podium time. Since the Short and Long programs are separate competitions that determine the overall outcome, there should be medals for each one in Mens, Ladies, Pairs and Ice Dancing.

I know Ice Dancing has three events in this Olympics, but a proposal has been made to eliminate one of them - is it Compulsory Dance? Too bad - I actually enjoy that event. I like the pretty tracings on the ice after each flight, lol.

Query
02-18-2010, 01:35 PM
My new campaign is to have the IOC award three sets of medals for each figure skating discipline. It's just hardware and podium time. Since the Short and Long programs are separate competitions that determine the overall outcome, there should be medals for each one in Mens, Ladies, Pairs and Ice Dancing.

I love the idea!

Sasha would have gone again. Michelle might have won gold.

How can your campaign affect reality? Do you have an in with the Olympic or ISU committees?

I also love the idea of an Olympics every year. One little mistake, and it's over for 4 years. Besides, how well you do depends on when you are born in 4 year increments - unfair!

How about adding a 15-20 minute UltraLong program, for endurance athletes? A ballet or modern dance performance lasts for hours. Hard to televise multiple UltraLong programs though.

Synchro?

(Now we have a summer and winter Olympics. I guess I would add a dedicated skating Olympics.)

To return to the theme of the original poster, why is it heroic to participate in Olympic competition? Heros expect to die for a cause, not just lose the quest for glory.

How about Plushenko. Similar history. Another returning older skater, one more run for the glory. Dick Button said he has the perfect tough guy look to play the evil villain in a movie. Evan could play the good guy.

MQSeries
02-18-2010, 02:40 PM

I like the idea of individual event medals in additional to the overall medals; However, what makes an Olympic medal so special is that (1) only a few can achieve it and (2) the hardware is huge (the world medal is a tiny teeny thing).

MQSeries
02-18-2010, 02:42 PM
Heros expect to die for a cause, not just lose the quest for glory.

That's a rather narrow view of what constitue a hero, don't you think? We're not living in the medieval age anymore.

RachelSk8er
02-18-2010, 04:04 PM
I like the idea of individual event medals in additional to the overall medals; However, what makes an Olympic medal so special is that (1) only a few can achieve it and (2) the hardware is huge (the world medal is a tiny teeny thing).

Yeah. It's the Olympics. That means one medal, one champion.

Do they give the mini-medals for short programs at worlds? I know they do it for the top 3 teams in the short at synchro worlds, I'd assume it's the same for every other discipline (since the actual worlds medals are the same ones for all disciplines).

MQSeries
02-18-2010, 04:15 PM
Yes, at Worlds there are medals given out to the top 3 SP finishers and then for the top 3 LP finishers.

Query
02-18-2010, 06:11 PM
That's a rather narrow view of what constitue a hero, don't you think? We're not living in the medieval age anymore.

You can also be a hero by saving people, especially a damsel in distress, or otherwise striving to defeat evil, as long as it is done at great personal risk.

Evan's competition isn't evil. Nor are the lovely ladies from outside the U.S.

I see unabashed Nationalism, in this case NBC's strongly biased coverage in favor of Evan and the other U.S. citizens, as evil. :twisted: Good sportsmanship gives everyone an even handed chance to prove their talents. So I'll root for Plushenko. :lol:

(If broadcasters in other countries have biased coverage too, that would be equally evil.)

I want to see all the skaters skate. NBC is very selective. I thought Universal Sports would do that, but they are actually the NBC Sports channel, and they don't have everything either.

let`s talk
02-19-2010, 01:58 AM
I see unabashed Nationalism, in this case NBC's strongly biased coverage in favor of Evan and the other U.S. citizens, as evil. :twisted: Good sportsmanship gives everyone an even handed chance to prove their talents. So I'll root for Plushenko. :lol:

(If broadcasters in other countries have biased coverage too, that would be equally evil.)

I want to see all the skaters skate. NBC is very selective. I thought Universal Sports would do that, but they are actually the NBC Sports channel, and they don't have everything either.

Don't forget the money. Figure skating is still a big business in the USA. They do need champions.

Where are all videos? I mean for non-North American viewers. Any links? They pull all stuff off on youtube.

Oh, and my apology for grammar. I didn't know that this place is only for perfect grammar speakers. I assume it is for fans of figure skating. Worldwide.

Schmeck
02-19-2010, 03:32 PM
You can also be a hero by saving people, especially a damsel in distress, or otherwise striving to defeat evil, as long as it is done at great personal risk.

Evan's competition isn't evil. Nor are the lovely ladies from outside the U.S.

Plushenko was the one who started the whole 'everyone hates me' crap - so give me a break!

Gee, NBC, a US company, providing broadcast for the USA, covering the US athletes - yes evil bias there (LMAO) Sure you shouldn't be over on FSU?

NBC does have all the skaters on their website (or plans to, as the links are already set up).

And before I get bashed for my evil US bias, I was actually rooting for Takahashi, and was not rooting for Weir or Abbott. I also rooted for Lysacek, and Shen and Zhao.

sk8ergalgal
02-20-2010, 12:15 AM
I love the thought of being a hero but you can be a hero in your own community doing small simple things such volunteering with various organizations. I am kinda iffy about the skaters trying to come back after 3 or 4 years off the competitive circuit. I think it was so rewarding to see that Shen/Zhao came back for the right reasons. This was their 5th Olympics and in their 1st they finished in 21st place. They were doing it for the right reasons. Plushenko came back because he felt that the Russian skating was suffering and wanted it for all the wrong reasons. All this debate over the quad was started this past week by Plushenko and it continues now that the event is over. I am still shocked he got the component scores he got in his long program.

Sorry for the rant. It feels good to get it all out. :giveup: