13 Switzerland MORAND Anais / DORSAZ Antoine
14 Russian Federation MUKHORTOVA Maria / TRANKOV Maxim
15 Ukraine VOLOSOZHAR Tatiana / MOROZOV Stanislav
16 Russian Federation KAVAGUTI Yuko / SMIRNOV Alexander
17 Canada DUBE Jessica / DAVISON Bryce
18 China PANG Qing / TONG Jian
19 China ZHANG Dan / ZHANG Hao
20 Germany SAVCHENKO Aliona / SZOLKOWY Robin

Results link: http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-figure-skating/schedule-and-results/pairs-short-program_fsx020201Tu.html

MQSeries
02-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Why don't the pairs get a day off inbetween the SP and LP? They compete on Sunday and Monday and then Bing, Bam, Boom, they're done 8O. I guess it's good that they can then just hang around the Olympic villiage and enjoy the rest of the game.

FSWer
02-13-2010, 06:22 PM
Why don't the pairs get a day off inbetween the SP and LP? They compete on Sunday and Monday and then Bing, Bam, Boom, they're done 8O. I guess it's good that they can then just hang around the Olympic villiage and enjoy the rest of the game.

I saw the Olympics listed as LIVE in the paper. As well as shown on tape the SAME day. That doesn't make any sence. Shouldn't the Olympics be broadcast live on US. Time,etc. equivalent to Vanclever (sorry,I spelled that wrong)??

doubletoe
02-13-2010, 11:44 PM

It's no different with any of the other figure skating events. The men and ladies also have their SP and LP on consecutive days, and the ice dance teams have to skate 3 days in a row (compulsory, original, then free dance).

Isk8NYC
02-14-2010, 08:45 AM
Does doubletoe mean that at the US Nationals and the Grand Prix events, the competitors usually skate on consecutive days? Guess I never studied the schedule before.

MQSeries pointed out that the Pairs SP & LP are on consecutive days.

The schedule Artemis posted and the one on NBC Olympics shows the Mens and Ladies events on Tuesday (SP) and Thursday (LP) -- one day off in between events.

Ice Dance has one day off after the CD, but the OD and FD are back-to-back.

NoVa Sk8r
02-14-2010, 10:11 AM
And here's the ISU results page:
http://www.isuresults.com/results/owg2010/

MQSeries
02-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Live results here:
http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-figure-skating/schedule-and-results/pairs-short-program_fsx020201Tu.html

Click on the '+' sign next to pairs that had already skated to see a break down of their scores. Very cool feature.

ETA: Oh I didn' see the previous link to the live result :halo:

sk8ergalgal
02-14-2010, 10:18 PM
Well that wasn't a bad event at all.. I think it was judged fairly. The thing that bugged me the most of the skating were all the viewers that had no idea about the new judging system.

Buzzz
02-14-2010, 11:14 PM
I watched most of the Pairs SP but very happy to see K/S and S/Z finish in the top 3. Now I am just going to cross my fingers and hope they both skate cleam tomorrow. :bow:

Schmeck
02-15-2010, 06:25 AM
I fell asleep half way through! Rats, I missed 4 of the top 5 teams, pooh... Was very impressed with the quality of the skating I did see, even with some falls.

I'm sure I can find it online though, that will give me something to do between loads of laundry, LOL!

RachelSk8er
02-15-2010, 08:05 AM
This was a good event.

Shen and Zhao were just awesome. I don't think I've watched a pair program and been that impressed since Grinkov/Gordeeva.

Germans--great program, but WTF with those hideous costumes, did they have to be so literal? It wouldn't be as bad if they got rid of the dots down the front (they'd still look clown-ish but more elegant to go with their music, whereas I thought they just looked silly).

Russian with the Japanese native chick--HOLY CRAP she is incredible. I really loved the one camel variation they did with the lengs wrapped over each other's heads. Gorgeous program, wish they didn't get so literal with the swans on the costumes, but their Russians, they're supposed to wear something not terribly attractive.

Zhang/Zhang were boring. Really, I don't remember much about them.

Pang/Tong--really pretty program, great spins and they just kind of floated.

Langlois/Hay--I enjoyed their performance. Does anyone know if they have some ice dance training? They really looked like it from the choreography in the program and the way they skated together.

Dube/Davidson weren't all that memorable either (other than remembering the music because I skated to it). Was she the one with the horrid flexed foot on a death spiral? Can't remember, I think it was.

Murkhortova/Trankov--Thought they were AWFUL. Not just the fall/touch down on the jumps, but just generally looked sloppy. I was surprised they scored as well as they did.

Shiny smurf suit people--I couldn't even really watch the skating I was so distracted by the hideous costumes. And they were kind of boring.

Great to see both of the US teams skate well (other than Caydee's jump). We knew they wouldn't be in medal contention, so going out there and skating their hearts out is all you can hope for. The fact that Caydee and Jeremy have been together for a very short time really shows against these other teams. I can't wait to see how they develop over the coming years.

Justine_R
02-15-2010, 08:42 AM
Shen/Zhao really set the bar high! They were just fantastic. I didn't think that anyone would even come close but A/S always seize to amaze me.

Kind of disturbed on the judging between the 2 Canadians.. L/H skated a clean program while D/D didnt and they are sitting behind in the rankings.. i really hope one of the canadian teams pulls up! I would love to see a medal for Canada!

Isk8NYC
02-15-2010, 08:53 AM
When I saw Savchenko/Szolkowy's costuming and heard their music, I was trying to root against them because...my entire family hates clowns, lol. It was a great program though, so I had to give them credit for it.

My husband's taken an interest in pairs skating, which is not an event I follow closely. I mixed up Shen/Zhao and Pang/Tong from the 2006 Games. We had a good time watching last night while I tried to answer his casual observer viewpoint questions. I did okay at that.

NBC would show a team or two, then cut away to another sport. DH asked what was happening at the rink and I explained that NBC was recording, but not broadcasting, the other skaters in the Pairs event. If they did a spectacular job, NBC would show it on a delay later, but we would only see some of the teams skate. He felt that was unfair.

Most interesting discussion was about how this "Short Program" affects their skate order and final score, but the "Long Program" scores could change the dynamic tremendously. He agreed with me that, given the effort the teams put into both programs, there should be medals for each event plus an overall OGM. Great minds think alike.

sk8ergalgal
02-15-2010, 10:42 AM
Did you see Amanda's reaction last night.. She looked so happy just to be there. They skated really well :)

Oracle
02-15-2010, 01:04 PM
I wish someone would explain to me why Dube & Davison scored higher than Langlois & Hay?

RachelSk8er
02-15-2010, 01:05 PM
When I saw Savchenko/Szolkowy's costuming and heard their music, I was trying to root against them because...my entire family hates clowns, lol. It was a great program though, so I had to give them credit for it.

Between the costumes, her eyebrows, the drawn-on tears and her hair (what was with the knob on her head), my parents couldn't stop laughing and making fun of them. But at least it wasn't boring. I thought a lot of the programs not only looked the same (which you'll have under short program and especially IJS), but were to the same violin music. Other than the blue electric smurfs, who I couldn't even watch because those outfits were so bad in big screen HD.

FSWer
02-15-2010, 01:50 PM
I wish someone would explain to me why Dube & Davison scored higher than Langlois & Hay?

I myslf am presuming that tonight the REST of the Pairs will be shown during the FREE Skate tonight. So at least you can SEE the skaters they DIDN'T show during the SHORT. But I also know that when they Broadcast,they show the top 4 placements. So you can know were the skaters you are SEEING are in placement. But I wish someone could please explain to ME why NBC. doesn't at least show you the placements of the skaters that you DON'T see.As if they DON'T even exist. So at least you can KNOW there competing and were they have placed.

Layne
02-15-2010, 03:36 PM
Because NBC cares nothing about the competition or the sports involved or the athletes, and only wants to entertain the masses and get the ratings. The average viewer can't tell one skater from another so they don't have the attention span to watch them all.

FSWer
02-15-2010, 03:44 PM
Because NBC cares nothing about the competition or the sports involved or the athletes, and only wants to entertain the masses and get the ratings. The average viewer can't tell one skater from another so they don't have the attention span to watch them all.

LOL,until a Figure Skating Fan AT NBC. gets uupset themselves.

rlichtefeld
02-15-2010, 04:06 PM
I myslf am presuming that tonight the REST of the Pairs will be shown during the FREE Skate tonight. So at least you can SEE the skaters they DIDN'T show during the SHORT. But I also know that when they Broadcast,they show the top 4 placements. So you can know were the skaters you are SEEING are in placement. But I wish someone could please explain to ME why NBC. doesn't at least show you the placements of the skaters that you DON'T see.As if they DON'T even exist. So at least you can KNOW there competing and were they have placed.

NBC will most probably show the last group of 4 pairs, and maybe only 2 pairs in the second to last group. They may also show the US teams. But, don't count on seeing all the pair teams. They only show the last 2 warm up groups at US Nationals for the Ladies and Men.

Here's the start order for tonight:
http://www.isuresults.com/results/owg2010/SEG006.HTM

Rob

Artemis
02-15-2010, 04:31 PM

Because a. Jess & Bryce did a triple twist and Annabel & Cody only did a double, and b. Jess & Bryce scored considerably higher on program components. I'm not sure I agree fully, but it's not an outrageous "they wuz robbed" situation. I don't think Jess & Bryce were overmarked in components, but I do think Annabel & Cody were somewhat undermarked in that area. But that's the way it's been since COP was introduced -- ranked skaters seem to get component marks that are based as much on their ranking/reputation as their actual peformance.

But overall I thought it was pretty well judged and I agree with most of the placements.

MQSeries
02-15-2010, 08:39 PM
I finally got the chance to watch some of the SP on the NBC Olympic site. Overall I enjoyed the videos that I watched.

Shen and Zhao were just awesome. I don't think I've watched a pair program and been that impressed since Grinkov/Gordeeva.

You don't think B/S's Lady Chaplip SP was impressive in SLC? I think that SP beat S/Z's anyday. I like S/Z but I don't think they're so above the Germans. I'm glad that only .70 difference separate them, so that the Germans have a chance tonight.

Germans--great program, but WTF with those hideous costumes, did they have to be so literal?

Well SITC isn't really about clowns, so S/S weren't being literal ;)

Russian with the Japanese native chick--HOLY CRAP she is incredible.

I generally don't like them, but I enjoyed this program. She looks kind of long in the tooth to be his partner though. The headband needs to go, lol. So 80's.

Pang/Tong--really pretty program, great spins and they just kind of floated.

They were so-so for me. Didn't get why Sandra said their SP was the most beautiful SP there.

Murkhortova/Trankov--Thought they were AWFUL. Not just the fall/touch down on the jumps, but just generally looked sloppy. I was surprised they scored as well as they did.

Really? I thought they had great speed and flow across the ice. Trankov was almost crying or was crying after they finished. Poor thing.

Great to see both of the US teams skate well (other than Caydee's jump).

I'm kind of suprised one doubled jump could've put Barrett and Caydee so far behind their teammate. I guess the international judges were more harsh on the weaknesses with their inbetweens than the Nationals' judges were.

I really hate these catch-foot death spirals. None of the girls can get her head close to the ice when she's catching her free foot. It totally ruins the beauty of the DS for me.

FSWer
02-15-2010, 09:28 PM
They showed both Programs of Amanda and Mark and Caydee and her Partner (I can't spell his name). But could someone please keep ex eye on the Ladies? Because Rachael Flatt will be skating and the BETTER not show a h/a Olympic skate for her!!!! I hope they show BOTH her Programs.

FSWer
02-15-2010, 10:26 PM
Does anyone have the results? They just finished the Free Skate. But didn't announce the results.

Clarice
02-16-2010, 05:32 AM
Yes, they did. You must have missed it. The Chinese pair Shen & Zhao won, and another Chinese Pair, Pang & Tong got the silver. Third place was the German pair Savchenko & Szolkowy. This is the first time the Russians haven't won in a very long time.

Isk8NYC
02-16-2010, 07:59 AM
Final Pairs Results are here: http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-figure-skating/schedule-and-results/pairs-free-skating_fsx020101Po.html
(Click on the "+" sign in the rightmost column of the results and it lists the element-level scoring. Very slick.)

ISU recap: http://www.isu.org/vsite/vcontent/content/transnews/0,10869,4844-128590-19728-18885-305096-3787-4771-layout160-129898-news-item,00.html

FREE SKATE (NOT FINAL) RESULTS:

Pl. Lady's name Man's name Nation
1 Pang, Qing Tong, Jian China
2 Shen, Xue Zhao, Hongbo China
3 Savchenko, Aliona Szolkowy, Robin Germany
4 Zhang, Dan Zhang, Hao China
5 Mukhortova, Maria Trankov, Maxim Russia
6 Dubé, Jessica Davison, Bryce Canada
7 Kavaguti, Yuko Smirnov, Alexander Russia
8 Volosozhar, Tatiana Morozov, Stanislav Ukraine
9 Langlois, Anabelle Hay, Cody Canada
10 Evora, Amanda Ladwig, Mark United States
11 Bazarova, Vera Larionov, Yuri Russia
12 Denney, Caydee Barrett, Jeremy United States
13 Della Monica, Nicole Kocon, Yannick Italy
14 James, Vanessa Bonheur, Yannick France
15 Hausch, Maylin Wende, Daniel Germany
16 Kemp, Stacey King, David Great Britain
17 Morand, Anaïs Dorsaz, Antoine Switzerland
18 Sulej, Joanna Chruściński, Mateusz Poland
19 Sergejeva, Maria Glebov, Ilja Estonia
20 Kostenko, Ekaterina Talan, Roman Ukraine

Cool, up-to-date Wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure_skating_at_the_2010_Winter_Olympics_%E2%80% 93_Pair_skating

Isk8NYC
02-16-2010, 08:04 AM
FINAL PAIRS RESULTS:

Rank Team Nation
1 Gold Shen/Zhao China
2 Silver Pang/Tong China
3 Bronze Savchenko/Szolkowy Germany
4 Kavaguti/Smirnov Russia
5 Zhang/Zhang China
6 Dubé/Davison Canada
7 Mukhortova/Trankov Russia
8 Volosozhar/Morozov Ukraine
9 Langlois/Hay Canada
10 Evora/Ladwig United States
11 Bazarova/Larionov Russia
12 Della Monica/Kocon Italy
13 Denney/Barrett United States
14 James/Bonheur France
15 Morand/Dorsaz Switzerland
16 Kemp/King Great Britain
17 Hausch/Wende Germany
18 Sulej/Chruściński Poland
19 Sergejeva/Glebov Estonia
20 Kostenko/Talan Ukraine

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure_skating_at_the_2010_Winter_Olympics_%E2%80% 93_Pair_skating

MQSeries
02-16-2010, 08:15 AM
Blah, S/Z's LP wasn't anything special. It was rather boring and generic looking. I wonder if the judges would've given them the title anyway even if the Germans had skated clean.

The commentatings left something to be desired. Bezic had a loud gasp when S/Z made lift mistake but then waited until several seconds later before explaining what had happened. At the end of their program, she said that S/Z had several other small mistakes but then didn't bother to mention what they were :x.

Why are there so much paddings around the perimeters of the ice? I've never seen that before.

Mel On Ice
02-16-2010, 09:34 AM
I disagree, I though S/Z were amazing outside of the lift. But I have to say, and I NEVER thought I's say it, Pang and Tong were great! Medalists deserved their ranking for sure. Did Tamara Moskvina have a little hissy there too? I have to say I have never seen the Russians put out such a poor product - and I hated the ripping open of the little bolero jacket to reveal the sequined heart, so cheesy.

Petlover
02-16-2010, 10:44 AM
I seriously enjoyed the US pairs, Denney and Barrett and Evora and Ladwig. I know how hard Jeremy has worked for years, and it was great to see him enjoying the Olympic experience. I knew neither pair had a chance at medaling but to see them skate so well was just awesome.

Buzzz
02-16-2010, 11:05 AM
I feel so bad for Yuko and Sasha and hope they stay in for another four years until Sochi. I believe they have so much more to contribute to the sport and Russia really at present have no one who could take up the mantel right away. To besides I would love to see Yuko win a medal. :) I really hope the Germans stay in too. That clearly was not their best possible performance and competitive skating will have a void to fill should they leave and turn pro.

Artemis
02-16-2010, 11:08 AM
Why are there so much paddings around the perimeters of the ice? I've never seen that before.

Because the same venue is being used for short-track speed skating, and they really need it! There isn't time to change things between the figure skating days and the speed skating days ... and of course it doesn't harm the figure skaters to have the padding there.

Artemis
02-16-2010, 11:13 AM
I feel so bad for Yuko and Sasha and hope they stay in for another four years until Sochi. I believe they have so much more to contribute to the sport and Russia really at present have no one who could take up the mantel right away. To besides I would love to see Yuko win a medal. :) I really hope the Germans stay in too. That clearly was not their best possible performance and competitive skating will have a void to fill should they leave and turn pro.

I have never cared for Yuko in particular -- the overdone facial expressions, the over-extended free leg, the over everything. But I do appreciate the incredible amount of hard work they've done over the past few years and of course the huge commitment she's made by giving up her Japanese citizenship and even changing the spelling of her name.

I did really feel bad for the Germans though -- they've been so on for so long, it was a shame they couldn't bring it all together last night. I do hope they stay in the game.

I really wanted S&Z to win, but I wanted them to do it in a more convincing and spectacular manner. Oh well. Not the greatest pairs event ever, but not the worst either. (2006 comes to mind ...)

MQSeries
02-16-2010, 08:21 PM
S/S: The throw 3sal at the very end of the program was gorgeous. Jump issues aside, the whole LP this year looked empty to me. Maybe they should've stayed with the Schindler List free from last year.

Pang/Tong: Normally I don't like this pair, but they did a good job last night. I liked how they saved all their throw jumps for the latter half of the program.

The Swiss pair was adorable but why were they wearing plaids while skating to "Once Upon A Time In America" ?

Oreoville
03-09-2010, 07:13 PM
Hey, im doing this project for french, does anybody know how jessica dubé did w/ her partner? What place did they achieve?

Isk8NYC
03-10-2010, 07:25 AM
Hey, im doing this project for french, does anybody know how jessica dubé did w/ her partner? What place did they achieve?
It's your project, so you have to do the work. Hint: the placements are up a few posts in this thread or you can go to www.vancouver2010.com (http://www.vancouver2010.com)