View Full Version : "Pop Star on Ice" and "Be Good Johnny Weir"

Mel On Ice
02-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Is anyone following this on Sundance Channel?

The show premiered with the "Pop Star on Ice" documentary serving as the pilot episode. I intended to watch it as "train wreck television" given the media angle on the show.

This is really fascinating television.

PSOI was put together very well, and tells the story of Johnny's successes and struggles within the sport. I appreciate how honest Weir is with himself, strengths and weaknesses. His interaction with his folks and Pricilla are great, and it's apparent that he has a loving relationship with all.

I do wish there was more skating footage from the early years and some footage of him interacting with his competitors.

The actual show BGJW is about two shows in, and has covered the '08/09 season and him missing the World team. The more I see, the more I like Johnny as a person. What I'm not liking is the "archrival" set up vs. Evan Lysachek and the whining about US Figure Skating. I love seeing his training and creative process: Galina is a hoot!

What I like best is seeing how he copes with his setbacks and disappointments: he takes it like a man. You could see it in the kiss and cry at '07 Nationals, he breaks down then mans up to face his scores. For him to show up as a commentator and celebrity at Worlds when he wasn't chosen for the world team, that takes some serious mental strength and cajones. Even the latest fur flap (sure to be in the series) he says to take it up with him and not his costume designer.

I hope there is a great conclusion to the series, but I have thus enjoyed the process.

icedancer2
02-04-2010, 06:22 PM
I wish we had the Sundance Channel!

Also waiting for Pop Star on ice to come to Portland - I bet it never will - hopefully someday... i really like this guy too.

flying~camel
02-05-2010, 06:45 AM
I've been watching and am enjoying a lot more than I thought I would!

I love his Russian reporter (Viacheslav Romanov!) impression! :lol:

Skittl1321
02-05-2010, 10:05 AM
I enjoy Johnny much more in this show then I do out on the ice (though I'm not really an Evan fan either...) I love seeing his training process.

AgnesNitt
02-07-2010, 08:02 PM
I don't have Sundance Channel, so all I've seen are the web videos on the Sundance site.

His family is great. His mom Patty should be an inspiration to all skating moms.

I love to watch him skate, so I'm looking forward to the Olympics. Unfortunately, I think he's turning into the Kerr&Kerr of men's singles--always third.

Oracle
02-15-2010, 01:07 PM
I don't get either Sundance or Universal channels & am feeling left out.

icedancer2
02-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Did I read somewhere that the podcast would be available on iTunes today? I'm checking it out right now and all I'm finding is a podcast ABOUT the show...

will check out sundance website to see if I can get the video stream.

And then of course back to my real job!