View Full Version : Who here is a Rachael Flatt Fan?...and what do you think of her Skating?

FSWer
02-01-2010, 09:19 PM
Ok...I'm sure we always have had Fans of her here. But now that she's won a spot in the Olympics. I thought we might want to open up a Discussion more about here. Please include what you think about here skating all-around. I'll start. I myself am a really big Rachael Flat Fan,and must say that to me her skating is really muture for a girl here age. I think they said she's 17. Along with other skaters I know. She surely is one who knows how to impress the skating world and it's Fans. She surely is one skater who is loved. Well,that's my opinion. What about you all?

Mel On Ice
02-02-2010, 10:26 AM
I want to love her, but I'm not there yet. Yet I feel she is the only slam-dunk, no-questions-asked deserving female freestyle skater on the US team. She deserved her win, although I was shocked that Mirai didn't take the title.

Her jumping ability is spectaular, but I think her spins are lacking.

I'm not a fan of her costuming, I think she needs to be in something much more flattering. Youthful but not young, mature but not matronly. She was almost there with the pink dress in the short, I found the red dress LP awful, but loved her in her black exhibition dress.

She's an impressive young woman, and I hope she sticks around for another 4 years, provided she displays a willingness to further her skating from an artistic standpoint as well as an athletic one.

wasamb
02-02-2010, 11:46 AM
Mel on Ice sums it up pretty nicely for me as well.

Artemis
02-02-2010, 11:51 AM
I agree that watching her jumps is a real thrill -- she's one of the few women who have real jumping power rather than that more "delicate" style of some of the top women in the world. (Which is not to diss the others, it's just nice to have variety.)

But as for the rest of her skating ... I'm with Mel. Flat(t) is the operative word. She has some nice energy, but I don't see much in the way of artistry or connection to her music. I hope that will come with time.

Isk8NYC
02-02-2010, 01:07 PM
I think Rachael Flatt's a great, solid, skater. We admire that in Plushenko, yet he's also criticized by many for having limited artistic ability. IJS rewards good, solid technique over beautiful artistry. If you look at Rachael's programs from a few years ago, she's improved tremendously in artistic expression and I doubt she'll ever get worse.

That said, she's not one of the gumbies who can pull their foot over their heads and scratch their nose. Unfortunately, there are serious points that go with that position, so she keeps trying, but you can see that it's a struggle for her. Had the Olympics been a year later, we'd have an entirely different perspective.

I assume Rachael will stick it out another four years and I expect to see more growth from her in artistry. I'd love to see her and her coaches come up with some higher-level moves that highlight her abilities and skills. I'm definitely a fan of Rachael's and I hope she rocks the house in the Olympics.

As much as I love Alissa's skating and spins, I hold my breath every single time she sets up a jump. I always feel she's going to take a dive.

I really feel sorry for Ashley Wagner, who put her "normal" life on hold to train for the Nationals and Olympics. If only we had a third spot - she's the total package in her skating, but her short program performance just set her back too far in Nationals.

Since Mirai has expressed reluctance to skate in this Olympics, I would be impressed if she passed on the opportunity to give Ashley a chance at the Games. I doubt it'll happen, but it would be an incredibly generous thing for Mirai to do if she feels she's not ready yet.

RachelSk8er
02-02-2010, 01:20 PM
I mostly agree with the rest.

From what I see of her in interviews, she's a good kid who is down to earth, works hard, and avoids drama. She handles pressure well for someone so young, and she's a fighter.

I love her jumps. I actually like that she's not a gumby (because I'm not...I appreciate how much harder she has to work to get ponts on spins that are easy when you're Marai and can stick your left toepick in your right ear), and she's more of the athletic skater than the little delicate skater or pretty, graceful skater. I like that, too. In some ways, she almost reminds me of a young Tonya Harding with the way she skates (of course, minus the trailer park and hideous costumes she used to wear and plus 1,000 times more class).

I love her short. When you let her have fun and show some personality, she (sorry to sound Dick Buttonish) is delightful to watch. But her long bores me.

I don't mind her costumes so much, I'd love to have just about every dress she's worn in my closet, they've had beautiful stoning work if you can find pictures of them up close--her costume designer certainly has a distinct style. Some aren't so memorable since they're always a solid bold color, but at the very least I can't think of her ever going out dressed in something hideous or distracting. Maybe I'd dress her in something a little younger since she is only 17 years old. I think bright colors work best for her, red (this year's LP and one of her dresses last year) is a little too old.

What bothers me most about her are her hunchy shoulders. She really needs to fix that if she wants to really be among the greatest in the world.

Schmeck
02-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Great jumper, dreadful skater. Hunched, forward rounded shoulders, skates nose first - the neck needs to be stretched, the shoulders pushed back and down, the chin needs to come up and back a bit as well.

How has she come so far and not had a coach that could fix these basic posture mistakes? Is losing the proper posture part of the sacrifice for good jumping rotation? She reminds me of Goebel, the quad king who had the worst stooped posture of any skater I've ever seen.

I haven't had the privilege of seeing any of this generation of skaters (besides Cohen) skate live - so I can't comment on speed/ice coverage, but there's more to skating than the jumps, and Flatt seems very weak in spins and spiral sequence.

I'm not worried that she's not a gumby, but would prefer more flexibility, and know it can be done. Neither of my daughters are naturally flexible, but have worked hard to get their splits and spirals. I would think that an internationally ranked senior ladies skater would have been working on that flexibility for a while now?

teresa
02-04-2010, 10:36 PM
I like Rachael. =-)

teresa

John King
02-12-2010, 05:28 PM
I like Rachael, too. Give her some time. She has been so consistent for the last few years, I can only see her as growing steadily till the next Olympics. I enjoy her personality off-ice and enjoy her skating.

FSWer
02-12-2010, 07:23 PM
I like Rachael, too. Give her some time. She has been so consistent for the last few years, I can only see her as growing steadily till the newxt Olympics. I enjoy her personality off-ice and enjoy her skating.

I saw her on TV. after her skate talking on her Cel. and she seems like a very muture skater. Also very,very nice.

NDsk8
02-13-2010, 04:10 PM
Say what you will about her artistry, she is tough as nails and comes through when it counts. Do I think she is the best female skater at the Olympics? Probably not. But it is also easy for me to envision a scenario where the other women mess up, and Rachel consistently performing all her elements. In that case, I think she'd just keep nudging the leaders until she won.

But having said that, did anyone else see Mao Asada nail her 2 triple axles last week? Awesome. Suddenly that program I hated with the heavy dull music was a LOT more interesting. Kim Yu Na? Big question mark. She has started to doubt herself, and that is always dangerous.

If Mao keeps on nailing those 3 axles, then Rachel can't compete with that. But a few errors here or there and I think she has as good a chance as anyone.

mobius
02-13-2010, 11:12 PM
She is kinda like Kimmie Meisner in that both initially had nerves of steel at the beginning of the senior career. Wonder if later on after she becomes one of the 'big guns' will she fall apart like Kimmie....

jdachs
02-15-2010, 11:11 AM
She has superb technique but I think that when she is in competition she seems to tighten up and go for the technique over artistry. I'd like to see both. I guess it comes down to the debate about skaters who go for the huge jumps more than choreography, grace and dance.

I think Rachel Flatt will get it all together and go far but still needs to work on the breathtaking dance moves along with getting the job done and meeting the technical requirements. Just my take, loving this discussion!

coskater64
02-20-2010, 06:51 PM
I find it rather offensive when people say she isn't an artistic skater, she is artistic, watch her hands and how her arms move. Rachael has had back issues when she was novice level, that is why she doesn't force the gumby like moves. Rachael also has a body that is not balletic in nature, Kim Yu-na and Mao have balletic builds they have longer legs and appendages, Rachael is petite and has shorter legs, she doesn't have a long neck so she often looks hunched when she skates, but she isn't. Rachael is a motivated skater, who is a hard worker, she has been a good skater since she was a juvenile level skater and she has continued to be a strong skater both mentally and physically.

Rachael is done growing, both her mother and father are on the short side and Rachael at 5'2" is probably done growing. I think she has an outside shot at a medal because she is mentally tough and technically sound. If you watch her hands and fingers you will see every move is finished, she has solid extended landings and she has lovely deep edges. She is a very good skater....she has worked hard and won her titles fair and square. I wish her nothing but the best and I think she could surprise us all....8O

Oracle
02-21-2010, 11:21 AM
I'm a fan. I enjoy her on the ice & off the ice. I think she is mentally tough because she is so organized & prepared, be it skating competitions or school. They say she is a perfectionist like another American skater: Brian Boitano & he did pretty well. In case you never saw him as an amateur he had a terrible style until Sandra Bezic designed his Olympic programs. Rachael is light years ahead of Brian at 18 in style.

joethepeach
02-22-2010, 09:21 PM
Rachel's free skate at U.S. nationals reminded me a bit of Sarah Hughe's free skate at the Salt Lake City Olympics.

FSWer
02-23-2010, 04:07 PM
BTW. do we all think she's favored to win the Gold?

Clarice
02-23-2010, 04:45 PM

I'll be rooting for her tonight, too, FSWer, but no, I don't think she's favored to win Gold. Most people think Kim Yu-Na of South Korea is the favorite. Rachael is a very good competitor, though, so I think she will skate well!

Artemis
02-23-2010, 04:51 PM

No, not at all. Yu Na Kim from Korea is hands-down favourite, with the Japanese ladies hot on her heels. Joannie Rochette, if she's able to stay strong and focussed in the face of her grief, will be in the mix too. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the same finish as last year's Worlds: Kim, Rochette, Asada.

But this is the Olympics, and anything can happen. If everyone else falters, either of the American girls could slip onto the podium.

FSWer
02-24-2010, 12:30 PM
I just want to say that I saw her Short Program yesterday, and checked it On Demand today on Comcast Cable. As they are offeing little clips of the Skating, and I myself am a little shocked. I wish someome could explain to me how a skater who skates clean (like she did) doesn't get marked high enough to curently put her in 1rst-3rd place at that time? Rather then 4th. For that matter,Rachal ended up being 5th overall after the Short. So unless we can rule-out the way her Opening was (slow and her Program starting with a Dance) I'd love to know how THAT happened.

Clarice
02-24-2010, 12:31 PM
The other skaters skated clean, too.

TreSk8sAZ
02-24-2010, 12:47 PM
I just want to say that I saw her Short Program yesterday, and checked it On Demand today on Comcast Cable. As they are offeing little clips of the Skating, and I myself am a little shocked. I wish someome could explain to me how a skater who skates clean (like she did) doesn't get marked high enough to curently put her in 1rst-3rd place at that time? Rather then 4th. For that matter,Rachal ended up being 5th overall after the Short. So unless we can rule-out the way her Opening was (slow and her Program starting with a Dance) I'd love to know how THAT happened.

The skaters above her skated clean as well. Also, some of the people ahead of her are doing harder jumps or harder combinations. Rachael didn't fall, but she did get negative marks on at least one of her jumps. Because it wasn't as good as people above her, who did the same jump or harder jumps, they scored more points and are placed higher.

FSWer
02-24-2010, 12:55 PM
The skaters above her skated clean as well. Also, some of the people ahead of her are doing harder jumps or harder combinations. Rachael didn't fall, but she did get negative marks on at least one of her jumps. Because it wasn't as good as people above her, who did the same jump or harder jumps, they scored more points and are placed higher.

So your saying that other skaters just did one type of jump better then her,right? Which one was it? BTW. how much of Neg. marks did she get? I can't see even one jump knocking you to 4th and then to 5th. I hope she still has a chance at the Podium.

FSWer
02-24-2010, 01:14 PM

They must have just placed higher on HARDER jumps. Otherwise somebody better define clean to me. If EVERYONE...Rachael included DID INDEED skate clean.

Artemis
02-24-2010, 01:18 PM
I can't see even one jump knocking you to 4th and then to 5th. I hope she still has a chance at the Podium.

It's a simple matter of points. 4 skaters were judged better than Rachel and got higher total points. She got credit for her triple-triple, but lost points on the lutz and had lower component scores than the other top women.

She does still have a shot at the podium, but she'll need some help from those ahead of her. She's virtually tied for 4th, but she's 5 points behind 3rd place and 14 points behind 1st place.

Clarice
02-24-2010, 01:23 PM
I'm looking at the numbers from the ladies' short program, and I can see that the first three skaters all earned higher Technical Element Scores than Rachael. That means they either did harder jumps/spins, etc. or they did them better than she did. The skater in 4th place, Miki Ando, has a slightly lower Technical Element Score than Rachael, BUT she scored higher in the Program Component Score. All four ladies placed higher than Rachael had higher Program Component Scores than she did. That means they did better in Skating Skills, Transitions, Performance/Execution, Choreography/Composition, and Interpretation of the Music. They all outscored her in each of those areas. Miki's Program Component Score was enough higher than Rachael's that it made up for Rachael's higher Technical Element Score. When they add the Technical Element and Program Component Scores together, they get the Total Segment Score. Rachael's was the 5th highest.

So, basically, she skated very well. But the others skated better.

FSWer
02-24-2010, 01:23 PM
It's a simple matter of points. 4 skaters were judged better than Rachel and got higher total points. She got credit for her triple-triple, but lost points on the lutz and had lower component scores than the other top women.

She does still have a shot at the podium, but she'll need some help from those ahead of her. She's virtually tied for 4th, but she's 5 points behind 3rd place and 14 points behind 1st place.

How much chance does she have at the Potium? What was wrong with he Lutz? She skated clean right?

Clarice
02-24-2010, 01:25 PM
They must have just placed higher on HARDER jumps. Otherwise somebody better define clean to me. If EVERYONE...Rachael included DID INDEED skate clean.

Clean just means they didn't fall, and so didn't get any deductions for that. Rachael skated very well, but the 4 skaters above her skated better.

TreSk8sAZ
02-24-2010, 01:47 PM
So your saying that other skaters just did one type of jump better then her,right? Which one was it? BTW. how much of Neg. marks did she get? I can't see even one jump knocking you to 4th and then to 5th. I hope she still has a chance at the Podium.

Rachael did her combination using a 3flip and 3toe.

Other skaters did a combination using a 3lutz, meaning the combination was harder and they got more points.

Mao Asada did a 3axel, which is harder than either a 3lutz or 3flip, so she got more points for that.

Rachael's 3lutz was not as high or have as much speed as some of the other skaters, so she got less points (that's the negative marks, GOEs of -1) than people who were higher or faster or had more speed after they landed.

Rachael's transitions and skating skills weren't judged as high as other skaters.

Add all of this up and you get the final scores, which gives you the places the skaters are in.

Artemis
02-24-2010, 01:47 PM
How much chance does she have at the Podium? What was wrong with the Lutz? She skated clean right?

Her lutz was fully rotated but she had a slight step-out on the landing, so she lost 1 point there.

How much of a chance at the podium depends on how well everyone skates. If she skates her personal best, and the 4 skaters ahead of her don't ... she could still get a medal. But it's total points that counts. If Rachel skates more than 5 points better than Joannie in the long program, she could get bronze. She'd have to skate more than 14 points better than Yu-Na to get the gold -- possible, but very, very unlikely.

FSWer
02-24-2010, 04:41 PM
Clean just means they didn't fall, and so didn't get any deductions for that. Rachael skated very well, but the 4 skaters above her skated better.

Ok. So CLEAN in Skate terms just means a skaters didn't fall. No matter how well they skated altogether. Thanks for defining that Clarice. So Rachael bacicly did a less-harder combination then some other skaters,right? In response to Art. I'd love to know how else a skater is expected to land on the ice if they DON'T put their foot out. BTW. I was thinking back to the Pairs Scandle at Nationals. Were in short they weren't marked farely because they got duked. Does anyone know if the Olympics is protected from things like that, in which case we don't have to worry about that here? Or if not, how it is resolved in the Olympics if it does happen?I sure hope she get's the Gold Medal. Or at least A Medal. As I've seen skaters who have skated well,that I know SHOULD have Medaled. What are your transitions and conponent scores btw.? BTW. just for all you fans of her out there. I surely hope she get's the ex. rest she needs.Just in case there wasn't enough time in between the day she was trainning for the Olympics when they had her skating in front of a High-Speed camera for the TV. Demo. and her actual Olympic performance TO rest.

Query
02-24-2010, 05:15 PM
She looks a bit stout, so she doesn't look like the classic slim ice princess, which may hurt her ability to get paid endorsement deals. Perhaps it is all muscle.

But she is one heck of a skater. Much more skilled and graceful than almost anyone who criticizes her.

FSWer
02-24-2010, 08:32 PM
BTW. they showed on TV. what they said was Rachael as a 3 year old. If anyone saw it can anyone conferm if it really was a video curtisy (sorry,I know that's wrong) the Flatt Family,or just a video of a baby skating a spiral. Which indeed the baby did do.

Clarice
02-24-2010, 08:37 PM
I'm sure it was Rachael if the TV people said it was. They wouldn't have any reason to lie about something like that.

cecealias
02-24-2010, 08:59 PM
I like Rachel Flatt not because of her skating but because she didn't sacrifice her academic career for skating.

Rachel was recently early admitted to Stanford University, and that in itself I think is a big achievement. She follows along the lines of Sarah/Emily Hughes - the two sisters went on to Harvard and Yale after competing in both nationals, worlds, olymipcs.

You can become a great skater but after that, what are you going to do with the rest of your life? And what do you have if you sacrifice everything for skating and don't pursue a quality education? What kind of a future would you miss out on?

Sasha Cohen while extraordinarily accomplished, is still struggling to figure out what she wants to do with her life after competing and after 4 years still hasn't found it yet. That's a rough position to be in.

Too many skaters go the home school route or, "I don't care about school route" and just barely make it through high school all in the attempt to make it to nationals or olympics. Or injure themselves along the way and have to scrape along at a minimum wage job just to get by. That, in my opinion, isn't worth the hours of sacrifice.

The probability to get to the top of a sport is much slimmer than if you work hard at an education, and an quality education is a better guarantee to having stability and success in life.

Anyhow, Kudos to Rachel for being consistent in both her skating and education. She will be a winner no matter what the outcome.

FSWer
02-24-2010, 09:14 PM
I'm sure it was Rachael if the TV people said it was. They wouldn't have any reason to lie about something like that.

Ok. I was just wondering. As I've never heard of a 3 year old being able to do a Spiral on there own. Like was shown.

Clarice
02-24-2010, 09:19 PM
Ok. I was just wondering. As I've never heard of a 3 year old being able to do a Spiral on there own. Like was shown.

Most 3 year olds can't. Rachael clearly was a very physically gifted young child, which helped her grow into the champion she is today.

FSWer
02-25-2010, 11:51 AM
But how is it even possible for (ANY) 3 year old to be (coordinated) or strong enough in their legs to do a spriral unassested on their own? Even if you are gifted? Is there anyone here who has coached a 3 year old into a Spiral that can explain? I'm quite impressed.

Isk8NYC
02-25-2010, 03:20 PM
I think the skating skills are more of an obstacle than the spiral position.
I've had several young students (5 and under) who could do a low spiral. My oldest grandniece, who doesn't skate, can do an arabesque off-ice. Kids who take dance or gymnastics lessons have the physical strength.

Given the pretty position, I'd say Rachael had already been taking private lessons and training.

FSWer
02-25-2010, 06:48 PM
I think the skating skills are more of an obstacle than the spiral position.
I've had several young students (5 and under) who could do a low spiral. My oldest grandniece, who doesn't skate, can do an arabesque off-ice. Kids who take dance or gymnastics lessons have the physical strength.

Given the pretty position, I'd say Rachael had already been taking private lessons and training.

What does that mean?

FSWer
02-25-2010, 11:34 PM
O-k. I am beginning to get a little lost here. I realize the scoring is all in how it adds up (or at least I hope so. As when a skater skates first. I SURELY HOPE there still note leaving room for other skaters). As Rachael skated first in the Free today,and I'm guessing the judges just didn't agree to give her high enough scores to get first. So I was glad she was at least second. But come on!!! All the other skaters had close to equally hard elements in their Programs (from what I saw anyway). As well as ONE of the others even made a few mistakes, and NBC. is telling us Rachael went from 2nd,all the way down to....7th. I think it was all in skating FIRST that kept her from getting a Medal HERE!!! I mean...some people have to win,and some people have to loose. But... I'm...VE-RY disipointed in the outcome. What did THIS Girl do with her skating to be knocked off the Podium?

Clarice
02-25-2010, 11:44 PM
Some of Rachael's jumps were downgraded. That means she didn't quite rotate them all the way around. So they count less.

She did skate first in the final group, but that has nothing to do with the scoring. They just add up the points of what she did. The others were able to score more points than she did.

When they said she was in second place, she was only second of the ladies who had already skated. There were still 5 more skaters to come, and they all scored more points than she did. That's how her 2nd turned into 7th.

She still skated well, and can be very proud of herself.

Skittl1321
02-26-2010, 09:28 AM

There was a 3 year old at our rink who could do jumps/spins/spirals and did competitions (at No Test level, she couldn't do moves).

She just did what her coach showed her to do. If you asked her to do a waltz jump, salchow, or toe loop, she'd just guess and do one of the jumps- she didn't know their names, know inside from outside edge, or any of the technical stuff, she just copied what the coach did and remembered what the simple program was supposed to be.

Rachel was an adorable little 3 year old! That clip was way too cute.

Too bad about the downgrades- I wonder how off it was, the caller seemed to have been so lenient during the short program, and Rachel is not known for under rotating.

FSWer
02-26-2010, 11:37 AM
Some of Rachael's jumps were downgraded. That means she didn't quite rotate them all the way around. So they count less.

She did skate first in the final group, but that has nothing to do with the scoring. They just add up the points of what she did. The others were able to score more points than she did.

When they said she was in second place, she was only second of the ladies who had already skated. There were still 5 more skaters to come, and they all scored more points than she did. That's how her 2nd turned into 7th.

She still skated well, and can be very proud of herself.

So that would mean for ex. that a skater facing YOU,doesn't completely turn around in the air to face you AGAIN. Right? BTW. how is it even possible for a skater to do that? As I would think if a skater rotated all the way around in the air,that by the time they get near the ice there's only going to be very-little room left. So the skater OF COURSE will END UP landing on let's say a 1/2 curcle.I was also wondering if the judges (since we were in Canada,and going by the fact that the winners were all forin country skaters) were indeed even FAMILAR with Rachael Flatt. As it was hard for her in the Short...and now the Free. So knowing Rachael to be as talented as she is...um...I wonder.... I don't know....Maybe it's just me. Because Rachaels one of my fav. skaters, which indeed makes ME feel the way I do. As I felt such high hopes for her. But then again...who knows. Has anyone else here ever felt this way about a skater,and is that a god or bad feeling?

TreSk8sAZ
02-26-2010, 01:10 PM
So that would mean for ex. that a skater facing YOU,doesn't completely turn around in the air to face you AGAIN. Right?

But remember, Rachael is rotating 3 times. So what the downgrade means is she got all the way around twice, but as she came down and her blade landed on the ice, the blade didn't go all the way around the 3rd time. She might still end facing the same way she came from (so if she started facing you, she may end facing you) but that's because she did a little bit of the third rotation on the ice with her blade as she finished landing.

The judges come from all around the world, they aren't just Canadian. Rachael has competed in other countries so they are familiar with who she is. It had nothing to do with how she was judged. She did not skate as well, and did not have as difficult of programs, as the other girls and therefore they won. If it was because she was American, Mirai would not have ended up in 4th.

FSWer
02-26-2010, 02:36 PM
But remember, Rachael is rotating 3 times. So what the downgrade means is she got all the way around twice, but as she came down and her blade landed on the ice, the blade didn't go all the way around the 3rd time. She might still end facing the same way she came from (so if she started facing you, she may end facing you) but that's because she did a little bit of the third rotation on the ice with her blade as she finished landing.

The judges come from all around the world, they aren't just Canadian. Rachael has competed in other countries so they are familiar with who she is. It had nothing to do with how she was judged. She did not skate as well, and did not have as difficult of programs, as the other girls and therefore they won. If it was because she was American, Mirai would not have ended up in 4th.

How many judges are at the Olympics? Is it even possible to rotate 3 time COMPLETELY before hitting the ground. BTW. is it just me?...Because it seems like skaters (if not a lot of them) are getting downgraded really,really easy this year. Just wanted to point that out.

Skittl1321
02-26-2010, 02:38 PM
How many judges are at the Olympics? Is it even possible to rotate 3 time COMPLETELY before hitting the ground. BTW. is it just me?...Because it seems like skaters (if not a lot of them) are getting downgraded really,really easy this year. Just wanted to point that out.

Yes it absolutely is possible to do it. (Mao's triple axel is 3.5 times around. The men who do quad's rotate 4 times around).

They do get downgraded more easily because the governing body of figure skating wrote the rulebook to make it more important to get the full rotation. Back in 6.0 system, downgrades weren't an issue unless it was so obvious that anyone could tell you didn't do the whole jump. Now, they use slow motion replays to determine if you did the jump right or not. Technique is very very important in the new system.

FSWer
02-26-2010, 02:46 PM
Yes it absolutely is possible to do it. (Mao's triple axel is 3.5 times around. The men who do quad's rotate 4 times around).

They do get downgraded more easily because the governing body of figure skating wrote the rulebook to make it more important to get the full rotation. Back in 6.0 system, downgrades weren't an issue unless it was so obvious that anyone could tell you didn't do the whole jump. Now, they use slow motion replays to determine if you did the jump right or not. Technique is very very important in the new system.

I thought they ALWAYS had slow-motion replay even back then. Didn't they? It's just like film. We had film for ex. back in the 1800's,rigt? Just not as advanced. Same idea,right?

Isk8NYC
02-26-2010, 02:51 PM
In the 6.0 days, the television broadcasters used slow motion to point out problems, but the judges did not have access to replays at all.

The use of "super slo mo" in judging figure skating came in with the new judging system.

I swear I saw Plushenko do a triple off-ice, but I can't find the video.
It's absolutely possible to turn a full three or four rotations - we've seen skaters do triples and quads at other competitions.

Skittl1321
02-26-2010, 02:51 PM
Slow- motion replay was possible when 6.0 was used, but the judges did not see it.

Even now the judges don't see it- just the technical caller who decides if the jump is downgraded or not. The judges have to award the Grade of Execution (GOE) based on what they see in real time. (In previous years, still under the new system- not as long ago as 6.0, the judges were told if the jump was downgraded or not. Now- they don't know what the technical caller decides, and have to judge based on what they see themselves. That's why sometimes you see a downgraded jump with a +GOE)

Skittl1321
02-26-2010, 02:53 PM
I swear I saw Plushenko do a triple off-ice, but I can't find the video.
It's absolutely possible to turn a full three or four rotations - we've seen skaters do triples and quads at other competitions.

Not plushenko- but whomever the Canadian was who was on SYTYCD-Ca (Emmanuel????) did a triple axel in his audition video.

Don't all skaters do their jumps off ice? I figured that went for triples and quads too- not just singles and doubles.

Isk8NYC
02-26-2010, 02:55 PM
I saw it during a backstage shot on the NBC broadcast last week. I remember long, blonde hair - I do think it was Plushy. It was from NOTHING - no galloping sideways starting run, just a little floor spin and then BAM! up in the air and around three times. I was expecting a double and he spun so fast in the air that I was taken aback.

FSWer
02-26-2010, 07:30 PM
Slow- motion replay was possible when 6.0 was used, but the judges did not see it.

Even now the judges don't see it- just the technical caller who decides if the jump is downgraded or not. The judges have to award the Grade of Execution (GOE) based on what they see in real time. (In previous years, still under the new system- not as long ago as 6.0, the judges were told if the jump was downgraded or not. Now- they don't know what the technical caller decides, and have to judge based on what they see themselves. That's why sometimes you see a downgraded jump with a +GOE)

So basicly in the old days WE the VIEWERS only saw the replay on TV....NOW the Tec.Caller, (who I expect is the boss of all the Judges),can see it at ABOUT the SAMETIME that WE DO watching TV. So she/he can help the Judges know what REALLY happened. As she/he can keep an eye on it more,and they can't. So the Tec. caller...confurms it...right? BTW. they said if there is any doupt. The benifit always gos to the skater. Would that mean for example that if there was NO WAY that even the Tec. Caller could tell something,because of the way it's shown on the replay. Then because even the Caller could get confused or be uncurtan themselves. They just automaticly award the skater because of there being no othe way to really PROVE anything. In which case you as a skater got lucky on a mistake. Am I correct?

teresa
02-27-2010, 06:23 PM
Could someone share the video clip of Rachael doing a spiral at three? If not, could you share where to look? I would love to see. =-) My family loves Rachael.

teresa

John King
04-11-2010, 09:24 AM
Rachael is quite nice. I sent her a t-shirt that was an anagram of her name (A Lethal Craft), and she sent me a thank you letter!

FSWer
04-11-2010, 10:07 AM
Rachael is quite nice. I sent her a t-shirt that was an anagram of her name (A Lethal Craft), and she sent me a thank you letter!

COOL!!!! What is an Anagram btw.? What is A Lethal Craft? Do you have her address for us so we can send something? Thanks.

drskater
04-11-2010, 02:27 PM
An anagram is a new phrase or name made from rearranging the letters in an already existing name. For example, Jeremy Abbott can become Jab, Eat my Robot.

FSWer
04-11-2010, 07:57 PM
An anagram is a new phrase or name made from rearranging the letters in an already existing name. For example, Jeremy Abbott can become Jab, Eat my Robot.

So Rachael Flatt would be = let the Rac

John King
04-21-2010, 05:14 AM
COOL!!!! What is an Anagram btw.? What is A Lethal Craft? Do you have her address for us so we can send something? Thanks.

Try Rachael Flatt, c/o Broadmoor Skating Club, 3185 Venetucci Blvd, Colorado Springs, Colorado 80906.

As for A Lethal Craft, it obviously means a deadly craft.

PS- an anagram of Joannie Rochette is Another Ejection.

GoSveta
04-21-2010, 07:12 AM
It's absolutely, and positively more than possible to rotate 3x in the air, triple triples included. Slutskaya 97 and Lipinski 98 didn't even UR their loops in their triple-triples, and Lipinski hardly prerotated the loop at all, much less the way most other girls do. She's probably a bad example, though, cause she rotated much faster than most skaters, with about 3 more inches of height she could probably do quads with the amount of rotation she could pull off with hardly any height.

If you get enough height, and rotate fast enough, you can get the jumps around, completely.

Downgrading the jump a lot is a good thing. Skaters have gotten used to getting away with underrotated jumps and it needs to stop.

It sucks to lose to a skater that is URing, but giving the impression of a clean program, when you're rotating your jump all the way. URing jumps is equivalent to cheating (hence the term used to refer to them, "cheated jumps").

Maybe it's just me, but skaters seem to be exibiting worse technique as time goes on. Skaters of the Late 80s and Early 90s were, IMO, much better jumpers than most skaters these days - Men and Women - from a technical standpoint. That is, with a few exceptions.

Rachel has a pretty wonky Lutz Entry, as well. It's borderline Caroline Zhang, except without the mule kick.

In any case, her consistency is commendable. Maybe the Olympics experience caught up with her - just a little - by the long program. Mirai was excellent, though.

I wouldn't say I was a Rachel Flatt fan, though. She just seems a bit heavy on the ice, and she doesn't seem to have even heard the term "extension." She reminds me of Trixie Schuba, minus the edge quality.

Schmeck
04-21-2010, 04:50 PM
It's absolutely, and positively more than possible to rotate 3x in the air, triple triples included. Slutskaya 97 and Lipinski 98 didn't even UR their loops in their triple-triples, and Lipinski hardly prerotated the loop at all, much less the way most other girls do. She's probably a bad example, though, cause she rotated much faster than most skaters, with about 3 more inches of height she could probably do quads with the amount of rotation she could pull off with hardly any height.

You're joking, right? Lipinski had a horrible loop take-off - they were more than 1/3 rotated before she left the ice. And she had no height in her jumps whatsoever - rollerqueen she might have been, proper technique for ice jumping, no.

GoSveta
04-22-2010, 03:08 AM
You're joking, right? Lipinski had a horrible loop take-off - they were more than 1/3 rotated before she left the ice. And she had no height in her jumps whatsoever - rollerqueen she might have been, proper technique for ice jumping, no.

You have to look at the take off edge in relation to the landing edge. Lipinski hardly pre-rotated, when you look at the lifecycle of the jump in whole. Some level of "pre-rotation" (in the broader sense) happens on most jumps. It becomes an issue when the skater pre-rotates, but doesn't get a full 3 revolutions in the air before the landing. In that sense, the jump is underrotated, but skaters often get away with it because more scrutiny is given to the landings as opposed to the take-off.

So... While Lipinski's Take-Off was often -\- (think of the direction going from Top to Bottom of the page), she usually landed -\-. The result is a full 3 rotations in the air. Great Example... Check out the flip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4NnyU9KxVU

Pre-Rotation becomes an issue when the skater pre-rotates an aweful lot, and doesn't actually achieve the full amount of rotation in the air. Mao Asada's "Triple" Axel being a great example. A UR call should be based on the amount of rotation in the air, which would be the amount of pre-rotation on the take-off plus the amount of underrotation on the landing, sub-tracted from the amount or rotation in the jump (of course the judges would use a range i.e. "> 3.25 revolutions to be ratified as a triple axel, or > 2.75 revolutions to be ratified as a triple flip, etc.").

Not perfect by any means, but you're blowing it way out of proportion. Especially with the Roller Skating Comment. She roller skated from age 3 to 6, so that's not much of a factor, and hardly worth mentioning.

I never said she had flawless basics or perfect skating technique, but no judge would give her anything but +GOE in this system for any Loop jump she executed in her 96-98 form. Her jumps did get noticeably bigger after she retired, probably due to her growing and getting stronger.

You're making it sound like she was a short, petitite Surya Bonaly, which was not the case.

FSWer
05-13-2010, 01:49 PM
Try Rachael Flatt, c/o Broadmoor Skating Club, 3185 Venetucci Blvd, Colorado Springs, Colorado 80906.

As for A Lethal Craft, it obviously means a deadly craft.

PS- an anagram of Joannie Rochette is Another Ejection.

Is that the address you used when you wrote to Rachael? I just want to make sure she's still with the skating club. As I found 2 different addresses for her. BTW. does Rachael autogragh her own pics that you get from her if you ask for one, and does her mail go right to her?

BTW. the other address I found on her site for her is listed as the address to her Rink. It's...

Rachael Flatt
C/O the World Arena
3185 Venetucci Boulevard
Colorado Springs,Colo.
80906-4020

Can anyone confurm if that's still were she trains and one of her addresses were she get's her mail? Or is that just the address to send something dirrectly to her at the Rink and not through her club? As a lot of times I've found info. outdated on skater's websites. I just need to know for sure were to send it to. I asked for an autogragh pic. and want to send it right to her. Thanks.

GoSveta
05-13-2010, 05:28 PM
Is that the address you used when you wrote to Rachael? I just want to make sure she's still with the skating club. As I found 2 different addresses for her. BTW. does Rachael autogragh her own pics that you get from her if you ask for one, and does her mail go right to her?

BTW. the other address I found on her site for her is listed as the address to her Rink. It's...

Rachael Flatt
C/O the World Arena
3185 Venetucci Boulevard
Colorado Springs,Colo.
80906-4020

Can anyone confurm if that's still were she trains and one of her addresses were she get's her mail? Or is that just the address to send something dirrectly to her at the Rink and not through her club? As a lot of times I've found info. outdated on skater's websites. I just need to know for sure were to send it to. I asked for an autogragh pic. and want to send it right to her. Thanks.
She still trains there. A friend of mine just moved there and is training at the same rink. I think Ryan Bradley and Brandon Mroz train there as well, but my memory's fuzzy on those.

FSWer
05-13-2010, 10:24 PM
She still trains there. A friend of mine just moved there and is training at the same rink. I think Ryan Bradley and Brandon Mroz train there as well, but my memory's fuzzy on those.

Thank you. I put the Rinks address on the envalope. I hope Rachael get's it. I put 3 forever stamps on just to be sure of the postage.