View Full Version : Who do you think should go with Rachael Flatt to the Olympics?

FSWer
01-28-2010, 05:54 PM
Ok. I'm not sure if they picked yet. But if not..who do you think should go with Rachael Flatt to the Olympics?

Artemis
01-28-2010, 06:19 PM
Yes, the announcement was made on Saturday: Rachel and Mirai. Ashley is alternate #1, and Sasha is alternate #2.

It wasn't much of a surprise, though, since USFSA had already pretty much declared that results at Nationals = Olympic team. For the women, dance, and pairs, anyway; there was some possibility for changes in the men's team.

But of course you can still have your poll to state who you think should go! :)

FSWer
01-28-2010, 06:32 PM
Yes, the announcement was made on Saturday: Rachel and Mirai. Ashley is alternate #1, and Sasha is alternate #2.

It wasn't much of a surprise, though, since USFSA had already pretty much declared that results at Nationals = Olympic team. For the women, dance, and pairs, anyway; there was some possibility for changes in the men's team.

But of course you can still have your poll to state who you think should go! :)

LOL,well at least the federation had the brains to make Ashley an Alternate. As I am a little upset that they didn't choose her. As I felt so certain she'd make it with Rachael. Because Ashley does look like she belongs. I also saw her in Truth btw. and she's very nice. BTW. I'm still a little confused to WHY they had to FIGURE OUT who was going. Was there a tie? BTW. how do they figure out who the Alternates are? Does that mean too that Ashley gos,just get's called if needed? Also do Aternate skaters at the Olympics go home empty-handed?

Artemis
01-28-2010, 06:57 PM
Alternates are the "back-ups" in case one of the skaters chosen gets injured or otherwise can't attend. Michelle Kwan's first Olympics were actually as an alternate, although I can't now recall who she replaced. Ashley is 1st alternate because she placed 3rd at nationals, and likewise Sasha is 2nd alternate because she placed 4th.

The USFSA has to "figure out" the best team for the country. So although Nationals placing is very important, it isn't necessarily the only deciding factor. If there's a complete surprise, and the gold or silver at nationals goes to a complete unknown who hasn't yet proven herself in international competitions, the USFSA is quite right to think about it. Their responsibilty is to send a strong a team as possible to the Olympics.

FSWer
01-28-2010, 07:06 PM
Alternates are the "back-ups" in case one of the skaters chosen gets injured or otherwise can't attend. Michelle Kwan's first Olympics were actually as an alternate, although I can't now recall who she replaced. Ashley is 1st alternate because she placed 3rd at nationals, and likewise Sasha is 2nd alternate because she placed 4th.

The USFSA has to "figure out" the best team for the country. So although Nationals placing is very important, it isn't necessarily the only deciding factor. If there's a complete surprise, and the gold or silver at nationals goes to a complete unknown who hasn't yet proven herself in international competitions, the USFSA is quite right to think about it. Their responsibilty is to send a strong a team as possible to the Olympics.

Ok. Please explain a little bit more. They said they had to decide if Ashley or Maril went. They already knew Rachael having been first gos. But doesn't the sec. place skater auto. go as the 2nd Olympicain? Are you saying too that the 3-4th skaters are auto. Alternates because of were they placed and there connected with the otheres? 1,2,3,4. BTW. they just look at totals right?

Isk8NYC
01-28-2010, 07:17 PM
The US was allowed to send two women's singles skaters. Since Rachael Flatt and Mirai Nagasu placed 1st and 2nd at Nationals, their names were sent to the US Olympic Committee as the team skaters. Ashley Wagner placed 3rd and was named as the first alternate skater, Sasha Cohen placed 4th as was named as the second alternate skater. If both Rachel and Mirai are unable to skate prior to the Games starting, then Ashley and Sasha would be asked to take their places.

There have been a few instances where skaters were named to the Olympic team without skating at Nationals. Michelle Kwan was injured when the 2006 Nationals were held, so the USFSA chose to give her a "bye" to the Olympics. A "bye" is like getting excused from a test at school. That's how Michelle Kwan made it to the Olympics in 2006. She already had a good track record in international competition, so she was expected to be a strong competitor.

Kwan withdrew because of her injury after an early practice session. The USFSA called Emily Hughes to skate in Michelle Kwan's place. That year, Emily was the "first alternate" skater. She was still at home on Long Island, NY and had to pack and hurry to where the Olympics were being held.

So, alternates do not get to go to the Olympics at all unless they are needed or if they decide to go as spectators. There's no award for being an alternate.

FSWer
01-28-2010, 07:44 PM
The USFSA never said they had to decide or "pick between" the two skaters, FSWer. I'm not sure where you heard that, but the news has said all along that the skaters on the Olympic team would be based on how they placed at US Nationals. They really try to eliminate favoritism because they want to pick whichever skaters are strongest right now, since the Olympics are only a few weeks away.

The US was allowed to send two women's singles skaters. Since Rachael Flatt and Mirai Nagasu placed 1st and 2nd at Nationals, their names were sent to the US Olympic Committee as the team skaters. Ashley Wagner placed 3rd and was named as the first alternate skater, Sasha Cohen placed 4th as was named as the second alternate skater. If both Rachel and Mirai are unable to skate prior to the Games starting, then Ashley and Sasha would be asked to take their places.

There have been a few instances where skaters were named to the Olympic team without skating at Nationals. Michelle Kwan was injured when the 2006 Nationals were held, so the USFSA chose to give her a "bye" to the Olympics. A "bye" is like getting excused from a test at school. That's how Michelle Kwan made it to the Olympics in 2006. She already had a good track record in international
competition, so she was expected to be a strong competitor.

Kwan withdrew because of her injury after an early practice session. The USFSA called Emily Hughes to skate in Michelle Kwan's place. That year, Emily was the "first alternate" skater. She was still at home on Long Island, NY and had to pack and hurry to where the Olympics were being held.

So, alternates do not get to go to the Olympics at all unless they are needed or if they decide to go as spectators. There's no award for being an alternate.

The Olympics are always the same amount of weeks away from Nationals aren't they? It's always hard to play favs. any year. So,the same amount of Alternates as regs. go right? Since we send 2 women. Then we send 2 Alternates. So I'mright? 3rd and 4th are automaticly Alternates? So a "buy" would just be kind of like something in writing that proves that there was a good reason,excuse you couldn't qualify normally,etc. and you have like the offical ok to be at the Olympics,etc. Just like I would if I got a Drs note for work,right? Then if 1 ALTERNATE is hurt. Then the other is called. that's why we have 2,right? You mean they don't get anything. Like the looser of a Game Show F/I.? I surely hope in the future the do. Fo at least becoming an Alternate. BTW. anyone have the complete list of Olympians by Discipline Who is going for Pairs and Dance?

Isk8NYC
01-28-2010, 07:55 PM
You've got it, FSWer! Good job.

The list of team members for the US is here: http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=30490

Clarice
01-28-2010, 08:08 PM
No, I don't think the Olympics are always the same number of weeks after Nationals. And they don't necessarily name the same number of alternates as athletes on the team. For pairs, the US is sending two teams: Caydee Denney and Jeremy Barret and Amanda Evora and Mark Ladwig, but there are three teams named as alternates. Alternate 1 is Renea Inoue and John Baldwin, alternate 2 is Keauna McLaughlin and Rockne Brubaker, and alternate 3 is Brooke Castile and Ben Okolski. We're sending three men: Jeremy Abbott, Evan Lysacek, and Johnny Weir, and 3 alternates were named: Ryan Bradley, Adam Rippon, and Brandon Mroz. We're sending 2 ladies: Rachael Flatt and Mirai Nagasu, and 3 alternates were named: Ashley Wagner, Sasha Cohen, and Christina Gao. And we are sending 3 ice dance teams: Meryl Davis & Charlie White, Tanith Belbin & Ben Agosto, and Emily Samuelson & Evan Bates, and 3 alternate teams were named: Kimberly Navarro & Brent Bommentre, Madison Chock & Greg Zuerlein, and Madison Hubbell & Keiffer Hubbell.

So we don't send the alternates to the Olympics. They're the substitutes who only get to go if one of the other skaters gets hurt or something. However, some of the alternates have been named to other teams. Ashley Wagner has been named to the Junior World Team, for instance. And she already "got something" in that she was the Bronze medalist at Nationals.

This should give you the whole list:

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=44109&type=media