View Full Version : Does the music "Ave Maria" make a difference? **SPOILERS**

Query
01-23-2010, 11:57 PM
I'm calling this a SPOILER because a discussion might drift that way.

Tanith Belbin and Benjamin Agosto skate to "Ave Maria". It's quite beautiful, both the music and the performance, but wouldn't normally be considered any type of dance music.

I'm curious how much people think that affects their scoring, because

(1) It is religious, and must therefore offend some people.

(2) There is no connection I can see between the music, and their program and costumes.

(3) The music doesn't have much dramatic or rhythmic to dance to.

Should they have fired their coach over this?

Mel On Ice
01-24-2010, 07:48 AM
1 - Ave Maria is one of the most frequently used pieces of religious music, I've heard it at competition a hundred of times so I don't think it really offends anyone unless they did something sacreligious on the ice.

2 - and that is why they probably came in where they did. I thought Ben looked like angel Elvis in his suit.

3 - but there's so many aspects of dance that come into play, not just ballroom. I use the generic term "performance art."

4 - Fire their coach? They have competed this all season long and knew that Meryl and Charlie were coming on strong. T&B could have scrapped it if they felt it didn't work like "That's Entertainment," I just think the momentum shifted. Plus, M&C were brilliant. C'mon, T&B had a brilliant season, won silver at nationals, qualified for the Olympics. The gamble may have been leaving Arctic in the first place.

phoenix
01-24-2010, 08:47 AM
The gamble may have been leaving Arctic in the first place.

IMHO, they've improved vastly since leaving. I think it was a good move.

TreSk8sAZ
01-24-2010, 11:42 AM
I think if it hurts them at all it's not for any of the reasons listed, but rather it's a somewhat slower song throughout almost the entire piece so it may not grab the audiences as much as the faster pieces. Audiences like things like Phantom because it is upbeat and they can get into the changes in the music versus the cut of Ave Tanith and Ben are using which doesn't have the same tempo changes (for the most part - there is one faster part, but still in keeping with the other parts of the music).

Meryl and Charlie have been steadily improving for years now, and it is their time to shine. I don't think Tanith and Ben's coaching has anything to do with that.

Samskate
01-24-2010, 12:34 PM
IMHO, I think it is definitely not the best choice in music. Nothing against the music itself or because it is religious. Just not my personal idea of what "dance" music ought to be. I do think it may have hurt them slightly though.

Skittl1321
01-24-2010, 12:34 PM
I thought Ben looked like angel Elvis in his suit.

I thought he looked like Elvis too!

I don't think the piece of music is the problem. I think the fact that their dance seems to have no connection to the music is the issue. I've seen many many (non-ice) dances to Ave Maria, some are good, some are not. It's not that it's a slow piece, and PotO is more intense, it's just the particular way it was done, in my opinion.

Meryl and Charlie were just completely brilliant. I actually cheered out loud for them at a few points. It was one of the best ice dance performances I have seen. (I'm not usually a FD fan- I like the folk ODs, and the compulsories better). It was magical. Tanith and Ben were very very good, great even. But not magical.

sk8ergalgal
01-24-2010, 01:33 PM
Their freedance does nothing for me. They do not create a connection on the ice with the music and between themselves like M/C and T/S do. I want to see M/C and T/S to be one two in Vancouver. I also think that T/B free dance score was very inflated.

RachelSk8er
01-25-2010, 08:00 PM
I have yet to watch the program, but I've seen Ave Maria used tons of times. I don't think it would offend anyone, it's beautiful music. What I don't get are Tanith and Ben's hideous costumes...they usually have much better taste than that! I hope they at least show up wearing something else for the Olympics.

Years ago ('96) Team Elan (senior) did a program to Ave Maria, Joyful Joyful We Adore Thee and a few other religious pieces, their costumes made them look like angels on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. The program was stunning. I don't think anyone could have possibly been offended by a tribute like that.

I saw Meryl and Charlie's free dance a few months ago when I was watching a Grand Prix event, and I called an upset of Tanith and Ben at Nationals back then. I can't wait to see the free dance at the Olympics because Virtue/Moir's program is also incredibly beautiful.

Artemis
01-26-2010, 01:26 PM
I don't think the piece of music is the problem. I think the fact that their dance seems to have no connection to the music is the issue.

I agree completely, and that's been my criticism of Tanith & Ben for the past several years, particularly in their free dances. It's a shame -- they have some real talent, but they haven't been making the best use of it for a while now.