View Full Version : Out of state competitions..

isakswings
01-15-2010, 08:39 PM
I'm still fairly new to figure skating and competing. Dd started competing about a yr and a 1/2 ago. I'm comfortable with the local comps and know what to expect, but I have NO clue what to expect from out of state comps. We were going to go to Vegas in August, but ended up not being able to go. I was talking to dd's coach and trying to figure out how much to expect finanically. This particular comp may involve enough students that it would make it easier to split the cost. The way I see it, is if I plan ahead enough, I can do an out of state comp about once a yr.

What I would like are some cost cutting ideas! What do some of you do to help keep the costs down while travelling? Do you bring coolers with lunch foods and breakfast foods in it? Do you share rooms and carpool(if driving) with other parents? I'd really like to take dd to this competition, but I'd also like to figure out how to make it work in the most cost effective manner! The bonus is that we have some family who live in the area we are thinking of going. They will be able to come and watch dd skate and that would be sooo fun!

Thanks!

sk8tmum
01-16-2010, 07:57 AM
I'm probably going to get grief for this ... but ... we deliberately DON'T try to go cheap when we're going out of state (out of province for us). They are usually major comps that matter, and we want our skaters to have their best showing. Thus, we get a good hotel room (booked way in advance to save $$$); we try to get a suite or kitchennette so we can cook healthy food instead of relying on scratch meals or restaurants; we will rent a larger car if we are driving, as our somewhat aged and small compact makes for scrunched legs, or we'll take a train. We want comfortable beds and somewhere they can sleep properly.

Similarly, we don't carpool, as that way we are at the mercy of other people's opinions on where to eat, how often to stop, when to go home to bed ... unless we really know the other family and they have a similar ethos to ours. Plus, the kids have rules from their coach in terms of sleep, training schedules, food, and so on ...

We don't share hotel rooms for the same reason, plus, it's hard to get a room that will accomodate more than 4! We also try to stay "somewhere else" so that we avoid what we found in a couple of comps, which was mid-night room to room visiting, screaming kids in the corridors etc ...

Basically, we're there to get the job done, to ensure that our kids are well-setup for something they've worked for for months. Then, we hang around to support the rest of the team and go home.

HOWEVER: we are not wealthy, far from it. Comps are budgeted for; our kids give up entertainment dollars, meals out, and assorted things that other kids "expect" to put money away to pay for their comps. These are their "summer vacations", "movie nights out", "winter ski trips", and "trips to disneyland!". Which is the other reason why a nice hotel room is important, so that they can play in a nice pool, enjoy a good TV, and simply feel a bit spoilt and in a good frame to step on the ice.

techskater
01-16-2010, 10:09 AM
There are a group of us (adult skaters) who travel together to Adult Sectionals/Nationals. We stay at the same hotel, eat together, hang together, and travel at least sort of together. We know each others' habits, though, and are all pretty similar minded which makes it easier. My room mates at out of state comps are always the same (have been for the last several years) and we know how the others are. Typically, we have 4/room

isakswings
01-16-2010, 03:42 PM
No grief from me. :) I can understand what you are saying and why you do what you do. :) For this competition, it would only be my daughter and I going, so sharing with another mom and daughter we know, is doable. I like the kitchenette idea and I think that will cut costs. I want a good place for her to sleep too and I think we can do that if we share with another mom and daughter. We'll have to carpool and I am ok with that too... mostly because my driving is not possible. The people we would go with have the same coach that my daughter has too. Thanks for your reply! I appreciate it.

I'm probably going to get grief for this ... but ... we deliberately DON'T try to go cheap when we're going out of state (out of province for us). They are usually major comps that matter, and we want our skaters to have their best showing. Thus, we get a good hotel room (booked way in advance to save $$$); we try to get a suite or kitchennette so we can cook healthy food instead of relying on scratch meals or restaurants; we will rent a larger car if we are driving, as our somewhat aged and small compact makes for scrunched legs, or we'll take a train. We want comfortable beds and somewhere they can sleep properly.

Similarly, we don't carpool, as that way we are at the mercy of other people's opinions on where to eat, how often to stop, when to go home to bed ... unless we really know the other family and they have a similar ethos to ours. Plus, the kids have rules from their coach in terms of sleep, training schedules, food, and so on ...

We don't share hotel rooms for the same reason, plus, it's hard to get a room that will accomodate more than 4! We also try to stay "somewhere else" so that we avoid what we found in a couple of comps, which was mid-night room to room visiting, screaming kids in the corridors etc ...

Basically, we're there to get the job done, to ensure that our kids are well-setup for something they've worked for for months. Then, we hang around to support the rest of the team and go home.

HOWEVER: we are not wealthy, far from it. Comps are budgeted for; our kids give up entertainment dollars, meals out, and assorted things that other kids "expect" to put money away to pay for their comps. These are their "summer vacations", "movie nights out", "winter ski trips", and "trips to disneyland!". Which is the other reason why a nice hotel room is important, so that they can play in a nice pool, enjoy a good TV, and simply feel a bit spoilt and in a good frame to step on the ice.

isakswings
01-16-2010, 03:45 PM
There are a group of us (adult skaters) who travel together to Adult Sectionals/Nationals. We stay at the same hotel, eat together, hang together, and travel at least sort of together. We know each others' habits, though, and are all pretty similar minded which makes it easier. My room mates at out of state comps are always the same (have been for the last several years) and we know how the others are. Typically, we have 4/room

Thanks! I appreciate your reply.

PinkLaces
01-16-2010, 05:37 PM
My DD has skated in the ISI World Rec Team Champs for the last 3 years. If you're not familiar with it, it's a week long competition. The first year it was in Chicago so it was a fairly easy drive for us(we're outside Minneapolis). The year after that was in Denver which was a longer drive. Last year was San Jose, California and we flew. We've also traveled to a small competition in Michigan the last 2 years. It's very close to my hometown so we stay with my parents.

We have been approached to carpool and share rooms, but have never done it. I have been willing to if it would help another family attend, but those families decided not to. I have found that if you book your room early, you can get a good rate. Most competitions partner with hotels that give special rates. We also try to get a hotel that serves a continental breakfast and that saves us a meal. I pack snacks or pick them up at the local grocery store. If you get a room with a fridge you could make yourselves sandwiches, etc for lunch. I think would be the way to go, because rink food is usually pretty gross. We do have at least one nice dinner out...usually it's with the rest of our "team." DD and I like to have our dinner at Panera Bread if there is one around.

No trip for us this year. DD wants to attend a couple camps this year so that is taking up the $$$ in our travel budget. It has been a great bonding experience for us.

isakswings
01-16-2010, 10:26 PM
My DD has skated in the ISI World Rec Team Champs for the last 3 years. If you're not familiar with it, it's a week long competition. The first year it was in Chicago so it was a fairly easy drive for us(we're outside Minneapolis). The year after that was in Denver which was a longer drive. Last year was San Jose, California and we flew. We've also traveled to a small competition in Michigan the last 2 years. It's very close to my hometown so we stay with my parents.

We have been approached to carpool and share rooms, but have never done it. I have been willing to if it would help another family attend, but those families decided not to. I have found that if you book your room early, you can get a good rate. Most competitions partner with hotels that give special rates. We also try to get a hotel that serves a continental breakfast and that saves us a meal. I pack snacks or pick them up at the local grocery store. If you get a room with a fridge you could make yourselves sandwiches, etc for lunch. I think would be the way to go, because rink food is usually pretty gross. We do have at least one nice dinner out...usually it's with the rest of our "team." DD and I like to have our dinner at Panera Bread if there is one around.

No trip for us this year. DD wants to attend a couple camps this year so that is taking up the $$$ in our travel budget. It has been a great bonding experience for us.

Thanks so much for your input! I appreciate it! I am hoping as soon as the competition announcement is posted, there will be deals on hotels mentioned too. This competition is in Phoenix. I would fly(we are in UT) but I think it would be cheaper to drive. Hopefully, if we do this, we will be able to share a room with someone else. I was talking to another parent tonight about this trip. He is considering taking his daughter. Of coarse, sharing a room with them is not an option. LOL! Anyway... thanks again!

TreSk8sAZ
01-16-2010, 10:41 PM
The competitions in Phoenix are fairly well attended, so it is important to get your hotel early. Plus side, if it's the Peoria rink there are a ton of hotels within 5 minutes, some within walking distance. If it's Cactus, none in walking distance but plenty around.

When I go to an out of state comp, I generally prefer not to share a room so that I can keep my head where it needs to be. It all depends on your DD's mental preferences. I usually do try to carpool and stay at the same hotel as others, just with my own room. I don't bring a coach unless I can share the costs with someone else, which is a lifesaver right there. Unless it's a major comp (Sectionals, Nationals) I generally don't buy practice ice when there are multiple rinks around to save money on that aspect.

As for hotels and food, research carefully. Many times the deals in the announcement aren't nearly as good as they seem - many times you can get nearby hotels cheaper. But you do have to make sure it's a nice enough place to enjoy yourself and get sleep. I do bring my own snacks and breakfast foods (I'm really picky), then find a grocery store once I'm there if the room has a fridge - microwaves are helpful too.

Query
01-17-2010, 01:50 PM
My travel links are at

http://mgrunes.com/mybookmark.html#trav

it includes hotel coupon sites (usually the cheapest available rooms), on-line air travel booking agents (try several for comparison), and discount airline sites. Discount airlines usually aren't booked by booking agents, but usually have the cheapest fairs.

Planning everything you can in advance saves a lot of time. Booking far in advance saves on travel and hotel fairs. Book now! Look into alternate rinks for practice, hotels and health clubs with whrilpool baths to relax muscles, nearby restaurants, travel routes, etc.

If you haven't traveled by air in the U.S. recently, expect extra hours, and impolite personal searches. Yuk. Ice skates must go in checked luggage. Pack them so they don't get bent when a few hundred pounds of other luggage is thrown on top.

Train travel may be cheaper then air. Bus travel usually is, but is often uncomfortable.

Is car rental available where you will arrive? What does it cost? Book in advance too.

Car rental companies often charge for things they shouldn't. E.g., they keep charging for dings they hid with a spot of dirt or water, and very often don't have on hand what you arranged to rent. Too small, no 4WD, no snow chains, no cruise control, no child safety seats, so low a clearance that rocks damage them, so be prepared for options if the booked car company doesn't come through.

If the car rental won't provide a GPS, get one yourself, with a traffic receiver and suscription, and practice using it. They are wonderful! Can save you hours in crowded and confusing urban areas. Make sure your cell phone service area includes everywhere you need.

Having your own car if you can is always most convenient, and saves on time and worry. So if I can, I always drive rather than fly. But I love driving and travel well.

Rinks are happy to suggest other lodging options, but they don't always suggest the cheapest. Tell them you must travel cheap. Look into other area rinks in advance for extra practice time.

Ask hotels how safe the area is, and whether they are family oriented. The child may love telling stories for years about staying in a hotel that specialized in "adult" activities, but you might prefer otherwise. :o

Camping saves a lot of money, but takes more time than hotels, motels and bed & breakfasts, and travel time to the rink is likely to be greater. I love camping, but a lot of people don't agree, and a high pressure situation shouldn't be your first family camping trip. Staying with family and friends may waste more time than camping. A few ice rinks let RVs and such park overnight in their lots, and some provide electricity. Contact the various local rinks to find out.

dak_rbb
01-17-2010, 04:32 PM
This competition is in Phoenix...

We went to regionals in Phoenix last fall and were happy with where we stayed. No more $$ than anywhere else there and the rooms are suites (skater can go to bed early and parent can still read or whatever in the other room), had microwaves/refrigerators, and an included breakfast buffet. PM me if you want details. It was about 8 min from the Alltel Ice Den.

Out of town comps are fun. We've only been doing this a few years, but DD's coach seems to plan on one out of town comp each season and we just consider it one of our vacations and budget for it. I also feel that we spend so much on skating generally, it's not worth it to skimp too much.

Edited to add... We do however, watch what we spend and I agree that the refrigerator or kitchen facilities really help--not only in saving costs (eating out every meal really adds up), but also saves time, and most of all, makes it easier to eat healthy.

PinkLaces
01-17-2010, 11:33 PM
Planning everything you can in advance saves a lot of time. Booking far in advance saves on travel and hotel fairs. Book now! Look into alternate rinks for practice, hotels and health clubs with whrilpool baths to relax muscles, nearby restaurants, travel routes, etc.

If you haven't traveled by air in the U.S. recently, expect extra hours, and impolite personal searches. Yuk. Ice skates must go in checked luggage. Pack them so they don't get bent when a few hundred pounds of other luggage is thrown on top.

Definately do your planning in advance. You might also want to check out Trip Advisor http://www.tripadvisor.com to get the scoop on any hotels that you are looking at. I did that for a weekend get away with DH in November. I found a very nice hotel for a great price that way.

Skates do not have to be checked! DD carried her skates on the plane both ways. We did have an "issue" at security where they pulled her zucca bag out of line to search it. Turns out one of her medals had detached from the ribbon and slid down into one of the pockets and lodged between the frame. They saw it on the security camera and couldn't figure it out what it was. The security guy laughed when he figured out what it was and handed it to her. Make sure your DD cleans out her skate bag ;)

Also, DD's zucca fit great in the overhead bin on the flight out, but couldn't quite fit in one the way back by about 2 inches. It was a different size plane. The flight attendant was very nice and put her bag in the 1st class closet so we didn't have to check it. This was the way back so wasn't as critical, but still nice of them to be concerned about DD losing or damaging her skates.

RachelSk8er
01-18-2010, 07:17 AM

Same here. I have one other skater I normally room with if we're both at a competition (Stormy). We pretty much know each other's habits and competition-prep routines, and both of us like to relax and have it quiet in the evenings. We don't normally do 4/room like other skaters, although occasionally we get a suite and have 3 of us like ANs this year. (4 just gets hectic, we did that in Chicago for ANs and some people had totally different routines). Normally we try to find a place with free wireless internet, free breakfast, and a fridge in the room so we can stop at the store and buy food. It's also worked out that we've only ever needed a rental car once (since we live in different parts of the country, more often than not one of us flies and the other drives). At Peach, 4 of us went, got 2 rooms in the same hotel, and we were fine with 1 rental car since it was only a weekend and with all of us doing multiple events, we were at the rink pretty much all day anyway. I wouldn't suggest that many people to a car for a larger competition though, unless your rental car company will let you list more than one driver. Otherwise one person ends up playing chauffer all week.

If she doesn't go to a competition I'm at, usually I'll just get my own room at somewhere inexpensive but nice (Holiday Inn Express, Microtel, La Quinta are all $40-50/night and decent). But for some competitions like Wyandotte next week, the schedule works out to where I can go there and back home in one day without being too tired to compete after driving (it's only 2 hrs away).

Try Hotwire or similar sites for hotels, you can get great deals. We got the Sheraton for ANs this year at something ridiculously cheap like $50/night. Split 3 ways after taxes, our hotel only comes out to about $100/person.

I've also used extended stay places for larger competitions, especially with synchro. You can usually get great deals and the rooms comfortably fit 5 people. One year the Extended Stay we were at had both breakfast and dinner (in addition to having kitchens in the rooms).

Skates do not have to be checked! DD carried her skates on the plane both ways. We did have an "issue" at security where they pulled her zucca bag out of line to search it.

Actually that is subject to the discretion of the TSA employees. I haven't had to check skates since '03, but back in August 4 of us went to Peach and all flew into ATL from different places with skates as carry-on, but they made all of us check them flying out of ATL and gave us a really hard time about it. I'm not sure what we'll have to do now, thanks to the Underwear Bomber.