View Full Version : New USFS Web Site Layout

RachelSk8er
01-15-2010, 10:17 AM
Does anyone else really, really dislike it?

The site has been pretty much the same for a while now so it needed a revamp, but the banner of current US national champs just doesn't look right. It's pushed over d/t the USFS logo, Meryl's head is squished in there. Alissa's head is just sort of sticking up and cut off at the neck, and with her hair slicked back it looks like she's actually a 3rd skater on Miami's synchro team who just isn't quite in line with the other two (and why can't they show more than 2 skaters for synchro? In the past they've put the entire team or at least a line of skaters, it's called synchro not similar pairs). Jeremy looks like he's flipping the bird, and I can't even see Keauna, she's totally cut off in my browser.

And that's just the banner...the rest of it doesn't quite display right (unless it's supposed to have a huge gap with white space on the main page?) and I can't find what I'm looking for!

Isk8NYC
01-15-2010, 11:19 AM
The person who created the graphic must have a widescreen monitor and they didn't test on a more common sized monitor. The page/graphic has already been resized at least once -- when I first saw it earlier this week, the banner was scrolling off the page on the side. I guess they realized their mistake and resized the page to fit.

*Sorry, occupational critique / soapbox rant:*

However, my biggest issue is that the banner shouldn't be that noticeable. It's design flaw to focus the user's attention on what should be decoration, lol.
They resized the text to fit within the pretty banner/border, so the font is tiny. If I change my browser zoom, the banner scrolls off the page. Fine with me, I dont' care about the pictures.

The red background color is alarming for no good reason and draws the reader's attention away from the important stuff on the page. I would have preferred an icy blue! (Maybe the US Nats color scheme this year is red or a sponsor wanted that color?)

Functionally, the site is fine. I've gone looking for over 2 dozen things this week and I was able to find everything. I'm really impressed by the work done on the Basic Skills pages - everything seems to be up to date, old documents are no longer linked, and the overall tone is perfect: upbeat, inviting, and helpful. Absolute love those pages - kudos to that team.

PinkLaces
01-15-2010, 11:51 PM
The red background color is alarming for no good reason and draws the reader's attention away from the important stuff on the page. I would have preferred an icy blue! (Maybe the US Nats color scheme this year is red or a sponsor wanted that color?)

Functionally, the site is fine. I've gone looking for over 2 dozen things this week and I was able to find everything. I'm really impressed by the work done on the Basic Skills pages - everything seems to be up to date, old documents are no longer linked, and the overall tone is perfect: upbeat, inviting, and helpful. Absolute love those pages - kudos to that team.

This was the concensus at the monthly meeting of local clubs. No one liked the red, but most agreed that it seemed to work better functionally - once you figured out where to look. Everyone liked the drop-downs.

phoenix
01-18-2010, 11:17 PM
What!!?? You can actually find useful information on the USFSA website???!! It really is a true miracle!!! :mrgreen:

Query
01-19-2010, 04:27 PM
Wow. What a change.

Looks like the ISU website has been cleaned up a lot too.

They both deserve a lot of credit for this.

There are still way too many rules. Wish they would get down to basics - how skating at each level is to be marked, order of tests and competitions - and get rid of everything else. :evil: