View Full Version : Jumper's Knee

sdfigureskater
01-07-2010, 01:31 PM
Has anyone had an experience with Jumper's Knee aka Patellar Tendonitis? I've been trying to get over this since August and could really use some advice if you have it :) I've been practicing the R.I.C.E. , rest, ice, compress, elevate principles but healing has been sooooooo slow:( If anyone has ever had it...could you share with me what your experience was? Healing time? Time it took to get back to normal? Back to jumping?

sk8rdad59
01-07-2010, 01:54 PM
Has anyone had an experience with Jumper's Knee aka Patellar Tendonitis? I've been trying to get over this since August and could really use some advice if you have it :) I've been practicing the R.I.C.E. , rest, ice, compress, elevate principles but healing has been sooooooo slow:( If anyone has ever had it...could you share with me what your experience was? Healing time? Time it took to get back to normal? Back to jumping?

My DS went through a bout with this last year. I would recommend you see a physiotherapist as they will provide some specific exercises that will help with strengthening the muscles in the knee area as well as use various treatments that help. It was almost a full year and very careful management of the healing process. He did still train and compete during this period and still has to be careful to not reagravate it but it is managable with the right advice.

sdfigureskater
01-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Thanks for your reply...every little bit of advice helps! :)

Skittl1321
01-07-2010, 03:07 PM
I have patellar tendinitis in both of my knees.
I did PT with ultrasound (is that right?) and ionto for about 4 months, and exercises to strengthen my inner quads, which pulled on my knee caps.

For about 8 months I wore bands across my knees to help alleviate pain and prevent flair ups, they worked pretty well.

The PT also worked a bit with kinesiotaping, but that only helped when it was it's absolute worst and it helped me go from couldn't walk, to could walk with pain. For "maintence" level pain, it didn't really do anything.

sdfigureskater
01-07-2010, 03:46 PM
Wow... Both knees!!! :( Oh my gosh...that must have been very hard on you. I'm having a terrible struggle with one (Left) knee...I can't even imagine what you must have gone through having to deal with both! My dr is offerring steriod injections and the idea is very scary to me...did you have to go through anything like that? (if you don't mind me asking)... I've been off the ice for so many months now (since August) that I'm starting to feel like I'm never going to be able to get back on and the idea is sooooo depressing :( Did it take a very long time to get to a point where you could jump again? Where you able to simply skate around in circles (any skating at all) while you were recovering? Thanks so much for your post...I really appreciate it :)
I think my sit spin (one too many!) is what helped get me into this mess...my youtube link is: http://www.youtube.com/SK8G4FUN

lillia
01-07-2010, 03:57 PM
I've only experienced a knee injury called "schlatter", which I think is similar to the jumper's knee, but slightly more gentle. I've heard about jumper's knee before and trough that I've learned that it takes at least three months for it to heal, but there are cases when people have been struggling with it for up to six years. It's not dangerous to exercise although it hurts, but be sure to get a proper diagnosis of your injury to be sure how to handle it.
Jumper's knee is discovered through x-ray, MRI or ultrasound. Physiotherapy rehabilitation training with eccentric (= tension during simultaneous elongation) of the thigh muscle includes strength training (barbell + squat). NSAIDs orally or in gel form locally. Inflamed bursa over the tendon treated with cortisone injections. Surgery may be necessary if complicating (partial) rupture.
As many other knee injuries, when it hurts it's a sign of a strained knee and if you don't have diagnosis of what injury it is (if it is an injury at all). Start with rest and take some days off or be careful when you skate or do other exercise.

Hope you feel better soon and that !

icedancer2
01-07-2010, 03:59 PM
I think my sit spin (one too many!) is what helped get me into this mess...my youtube link is: http://www.youtube.com/SK8G4FUN

I'm not sure that I have patellar Tendinitis per se but I am 55 years old and am having problems with my knees, especially my left - it started in my early 30s - I have always joking called it "sit spin knee" because I think this was the origin of the problem.

I am only just now getting to the point where it totally affects my skating and is painful at other times as well (it probably has affected my skating for years actually but I didn't quit realize it - I have not done any freestyle since about age 34 so no sit spins for me since then - anyway for the last month I have be going to my PT and getting some ultrasound, exercises to strengthen my quads and keep my hamstrings stretched and he also does some deep tissue work to help with the inflammation.

I am still skating (if you could call it that) - mostly just edges and stroking but it definitely feels odd not to have total control of your knee - my timing is off so it is frustrating but I think it's important to get feet on the ice at least a couple of days a week if at all possible.

Good luck with your knee. I am interested to see what experiences others have had with physical therapy.

Skittl1321
01-07-2010, 04:12 PM
Wow... Both knees!!! :( Oh my gosh...that must have been very hard on you. I'm having a terrible struggle with one (Left) knee...I can't even imagine what you must have gone through having to deal with both! My dr is offerring steriod injections and the idea is very scary to me...did you have to go through anything like that? (if you don't mind me asking)... I've been off the ice for so many months now (since August) that I'm starting to feel like I'm never going to be able to get back on and the idea is sooooo depressing :( Did it take a very long time to get to a point where you could jump again? Where you able to simply skate around in circles (any skating at all) while you were recovering? Thanks so much for your post...I really appreciate it :)

No, I didn't get injections! Yours must be worse than mine. I think most of the issue with walking was that since it was both knees I couldn't even hobble about. I remember when I first went in, I said my right knee was worse, so they worked on it, and then my left knee was much worse for a long time, because they didn't start the PT as quickly.

I was never much of a jumper, so once I was back on the ice, I was back to jumping lightly. It was quite a bit longer before I did the sit spins again though (though I developed this from overuse on a hiking vacation, and what I think is a genetic disposition to tendonitis, I have it in my ankles, shoulders and elbows too!). I focused on MITF for awhile (since I'm still low enough level that only a little bit of knee bend is demanded) and now do ice dance when freestyle won't work.

I had meant to do my bronze free test last year, but this through a major hurdle at that. I'm hoping to do it again this year, and am praying training sit spins won't put me off the ice again.

sk8rdad59
01-07-2010, 04:51 PM

Be sure to get it diagnosed at a Sports Med Clinic not a GP. I have yet to meet a GP who knew how to treat a sports injury. While a steriod injection may be necessary in extreme cases of where an athlete is working under a tight training deadline they are usually more of a last recourse. My DS had his flare up during a major competition last year the treatment involved Ultrasound, Laser and proper excercises. He competed Nationals 2 months later without resorting to shots, although the occcasional Advil didn't hurt.

sdfigureskater
01-07-2010, 06:32 PM
I'm hearing skaters mention ultrasound quite a bit... Do you think that this is a therapy commonly used with jumper's knee/patellar tendonitis patients? Interesting because my ortho doc (supposedly specializing in sports med) has never mentioned it! Aghhh.... HMO's are the worst :(

Skittl1321
01-08-2010, 08:30 AM
I only got ultrasound after weeks of ionto did nothing.
It must be more expensive, and not the "go to"