View Full Version : New Hallmark Movie - "Ice Dreams" - 1/23/2010 Hallmark 9/8c

Isk8NYC
12-18-2009, 10:28 AM
I like Hallmark movies. They have a new one that's going to be premiering on January 23, 2010 (9/8c) called "Ice Dreams."

It looks interesting and perhaps funny!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 23, 2009

THIN ICE IS NO EXCUSE FOR LETTING A DREAM SKATE AWAY

‘LEGALLY BLONDE’S’ JESSICA CAUFFIEL AND BRADY SMITH STARS WITH EMMY® AND GOLDEN GLOBE WINNER SHELLEY LONG AND EMMY® NOMINEE JERRY STILLER IN ‘ICE DREAMS,’

A HALLMARK CHANNEL ORIGINAL MOVIE PREMIERING JANUARY 23

After abandoning a dream years ago, it will take the dedication of an ambitious teenager to get an ex-Olympian back in the game in “Ice Dreams,” a Hallmark Channel Original Movie premiering Saturday, January 23 (9p.m. ET/PT 8C). Jessica Cauffiel (“Legally Blonde”), Emmy® and two-time Golden Globe Award winner Shelley Long (“Cheers”), Emmy® nominee Jerry Stiller (“King of Queens”) and Brady Smith (“Just Pray”) star in this family film about pursuing your dreams and keeping your edge sharpened.

When U.S. Olympian Amy Clayton’s (Cauffiel) father died trying to get his daughter to practice on time, it only seemed right to hang up her skates for good, even if it meant disappointing her mother, Harriet (Long). But the call of the run-down Mid City Ice Rink was too strong to ignore, and having worked out a deal with Skipper (Stiller) and the owner the rink, Amy has continued to skate privately. When the owner passes away, he leaves the rink to his nephew, Tim King (Smith), who arrives to decide the property’s fate.

Having skated there for years as a kid, Tim knows what the rink means to the few who still frequent it, among them aspiring figure skater Nicky Laston (Noelle Bruno). But the offer from developers to buy the property is tempting, and with dwindling funds, Tim is finding it almost impossible to keep the rink open.

Meanwhile, Nicky and her mom find out that Amy is skating at Mid City, and convince the reluctant (and broke) ex-Olympian to coach Nicky.

Although reluctant at first, Amy recognizes Nicky’s dedication and talent, and through coaching the ambitious young skater, she has the chance to reevaluate her own dreams, even the one she thought she had left behind.

Hallmark Press Site: http://www.hallmarkchannelpress.com/MicrositesLib/Default.aspx?SIMSCode=419-27812

wasamb
12-18-2009, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the notice. The movie sounds like it would go well with a nice steaming cup of hot chocolate.

Query
12-19-2009, 08:18 AM
What did the phrase "Ice Dreams" originally refer to?

I tried to look it up online - there are so many references to so many things, including lots of things in hockey, and an adult movie, as well as being the name of a hockey training center that was open here for a while, that I can't figure it out.

Nicki
12-20-2009, 01:31 AM
Thanks! This is the first I've heard about this. I'll try to remember to watch it next month.

Artemis
12-21-2009, 05:25 PM
What did the phrase "Ice Dreams" originally refer to?

I don't know about "original" but there was a documentary back in the 90s that I think was called Ice Dreams. It followed women's 3 figure skating hopefuls in the UK and Canada over the course of a year or two.

ibreakhearts66
12-24-2009, 10:26 PM
This was filmed at my rink!

Isk8NYC
01-06-2010, 09:33 AM
The choreographer was Sharon Wissel http://www.sharonwissel.com/ I think she may have done some skating in this movie as well. ooooOOOOooo - IMDB has her listed as "Skating Mom #2" - this could be an interesting role. Is her character (obviously a cameo) a mom who skates or a Skating Mom?

The skater in this movie is played by Noelle Bruno. Hallmark says she was a former competitive skater, probably out of LA where she grew up.

Any word on what level and when she skated?

SBrentnall
01-17-2010, 11:09 PM
I'm not sure what level she reached, but she was competitive as a junior. She had to stop after her parents divorced and she could no longer afford to train.

Isk8NYC
01-19-2010, 08:43 AM
There's a really great behind-the-scenes video for this movie, fascinating for figure skaters! They highlighted the things we really wanted to know - who are the skating doubles, the choreographer, what rink was used, etc.

Check it out: http://www.hallmarkchannelpress.com/MicrositesLib/Default.aspx?ID=1014&PN=PN119069

Great job by Hallmark. Makes a skater feel welcome on that network.

Isk8NYC
01-20-2010, 08:18 PM
I feel like you could watch the whole thing on YouTube now - they've put tons of videos from the movie on a playlist.
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=AB621F89E21A85B0

Isk8NYC
01-24-2010, 11:39 AM
Watched this movie last night on Hallmark and it was GREAT! No smut, no delusional beginner-to-senior promotion, and no illegal moves. They changed the names somewhat - "Western Sectionals" instead of "Pacific Coast." That's okay.

Coaches and parents will love this: in the movie, the coach sets down a training plan and focuses on proper technique instead of flashy tricks. They even explain why off-ice training is essential and show the various workouts. Plus, there's an emphasis on sportsmanship rather than winning.

I don't want to spoil it for others, but I really liked Shelly Long as the coach's mother "bonding" with the skater's mother at the Sectionals competition. It was so sweet and fun to watch.

You can sometimes tell when a skating double is used, but it's overall very well done and not distracting.

Great viewing party fare for a gathering of skating friends. I'd buy it on DVD.

FSWer
01-24-2010, 11:49 AM
Watched this movie last night on Hallmark and it was GREAT! No smut, no delusional beginner-to-senior promotion, and no illegal moves. They changed the names somewhat - "Western Sectionals" instead of "Pacific Coast." That's okay.

Coaches and parents will love this: in the movie, the coach sets down a training plan and focuses on proper technique instead of flashy tricks. They even explain why off-ice training is essential and show the various workouts. Plus, there's an emphasis on sportsmanship rather than winning.

I don't want to spoil it for others, but I really liked Shelly Long as the coach's mother "bonding" with the skater's mother at the Sectionals competition. It was so sweet and fun to watch.

You can sometimes tell when a skating double is used, but it's overall very well done and not distracting.

I basicly just peeked at it. As the Ladies Free Skate was on the other ch. So I flipped back and forth. I think there IS a Westen Sectionals...isn't there? BTW. I didn't really catch any cast. Who was the skating Double if any?

sk8ergalgal
01-24-2010, 07:50 PM
I am so sad that I missed it : (

Will they be showing it again anytime soon?? I got so involved in the ladies free skate I completely forgot about the movie!!

isakswings
01-24-2010, 10:29 PM

I loved it! I thought it was well done. :)

Isk8NYC
01-24-2010, 11:05 PM
I am so sad that I missed it : (

Will they be showing it again anytime soon?? I got so involved in the ladies free skate I completely forgot about the movie!!
It was on earlier tonight, but it airs again on Friday at 9pm and Saturday at 3pm.

sk8ergalgal
01-25-2010, 11:51 AM
Thanks! Hopefully I'll be able to catch it this time or record it.

FSWer
01-30-2010, 08:05 PM
Does anyone know if you can get it on DVD?

Isk8NYC
01-31-2010, 08:08 AM
Hallmark doesn't usually issue their original movies on DVD, but I hope they do for "Ice Dreams."

EDIT:

Next airing is 2/28/2010 on Hallmark at 3pm ET