View Full Version : Figure Skating Season according to the calendar.

FSWer
12-06-2009, 11:30 PM
Say does anyone know what month Figure Skating season offically begins and ends? According to the calendar?

blue111moon
12-07-2009, 07:24 AM
The US Figure Skating year runs July 1 to June 30 (as does the ISU year). So the 2009- 2010 "season" starts with the summer competitions and runs through until spring of the following year.

More informally, the international season starts with the Junior internationals in August and runs through Worlds in March.

Isk8NYC
12-07-2009, 07:41 AM
Not all rinks are open year-round, there are many seasonal rinks in the US. Most seasonal rinks are in areas that get very cold during the winter.

Usually, a seasonal rink will open in September or October and close in March or April.

If there's enough demand, or a cold snap, the rink management sometimes extends the season a few extra weeks. Some year-round rinks will change to a seasonal schedule if the owners/parks department needs to save money. It's expensive to keep a rink open if there aren't a lot of paying customers.

Outdoor rinks usually have shorter seasons than covered/indoor rinks. Warm/wet weather makes the ice crummy for skating. Many people won't skate in the rain. (Not me, of course - ask my family about my soggy clothing, lol.) If there are no customers, the rink will close down early to save money.

mdvask8r
12-07-2009, 08:08 AM
MY figure skating season (the most important one ;)) runs 365 days/year for life!

sk8ergalgal
12-07-2009, 08:59 PM
According to Skate Canada our season runs from September 1st to August 31st the following year.