View Full Version : Katia's Daughter Daria Grinkov

FSWer
08-26-2009, 08:50 PM
Say,we haven't heard much of her lately. Does anyone know an update on her? As far as were she is in her skating,and how old she is now? Also does anyone happen to know what Skating Club she's with? As there's never really been too much mention about her Club. Thanks.

herniated
08-26-2009, 10:18 PM
I don't think she's skating much anymore. I googled her awhile ago and she is involved in school sports. I think she is 16 now?

Shallwedance
08-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Can't get the link now, but Daria gave an interview some months ago. It's at G&G corner but if you google Daria Gordeeva-Grinkova + lacrosse, you will probably be able to find the link.

She'll be seventeen in a few weeks - Sept. 11th. In the interview she discusses her two sports - lacrosse and volleyball. She talks about why she gave up skating (she had pressure to be an Olympic medalist and simply wasn't dedicated enough, although her little sister may be). She talks about her father a little bit and says that everyone tells her she is identical to him. She says it's sad that she didn't have that growing up, but she doesn't dwell on it nor on things she can't change.

Many people who have read this interview have mentioned she actually expresses herself in a similar style to Sergei Grinkov and I agree.

She has spent her whole life in suburbia and doesn't like it. Sees herself going to university in a large city such as Chicago or New York where you don't need a car to go anywhere. She also loves Moscow/Russia. I think talks about her artsy side a little bit, and says that everybody in her family is extraordinary and she's more normal. Has said her mom has had a life like nobody else and has been through a "Ridiculous amount of stuff" and that she's proud to say Katia is her mom.

Mel On Ice
08-27-2009, 04:44 PM
I don't even know this girl and like her. How mature!

FSWer
08-27-2009, 07:19 PM
Can't get the link now, but Daria gave an interview some months ago. It's at G&G corner but if you google Daria Gordeeva-Grinkova + lacrosse, you will probably be able to find the link.

She'll be seventeen in a few weeks - Sept. 11th. In the interview she discusses her two sports - lacrosse and volleyball. She talks about why she gave up skating (she had pressure to be an Olympic medalist and simply wasn't dedicated enough, although her little sister may be). She talks about her father a little bit and says that everyone tells her she is identical to him. She says it's sad that she didn't have that growing up, but she doesn't dwell on it nor on things she can't change.

Many people who have read this interview have mentioned she actually expresses herself in a similar style to Sergei Grinkov and I agree.

She has spent her whole life in suburbia and doesn't like it. Sees herself going to university in a large city such as Chicago or New York where you don't need a car to go anywhere. She also loves Moscow/Russia. I think talks about her artsy side a little bit, and says that everybody in her family is extraordinary and she's more normal. Has said her mom has had a life like nobody else and has been through a "Ridiculous amount of stuff" and that she's proud to say Katia is her mom.

OH YEAH!!! I forgot she WAS a sister!!! What's the other sister's name again,and is she a skater? What level if so? BTW. are you basicly saying Daria says she was under presure? Or what exactly does that mean? It's soooo sad. I always knew her to look like she'd make a great skater.Anyone have a recent photo of her? BTW. how old is her sister?

Shallwedance
08-27-2009, 08:58 PM
http://dailypilot.com/articles/2009/04/02/sports/sage/dpt-spdaria040209.txt

Here is the link to the interview and it contains a photo. If you just use google images there are others of her as a teen and she really is the picture of Sergei Grinkov (except his hair turned brown and hers is still blonde) and gets more so all the time instead of less.

Her little sister Liza is about 8 and is Katia Gordeeva's daughter with Ilia Kulik. A very good skater, very dedicated says Daria.

Daria says she was definitely pushed by everyone around her except her mom (to be an OGM figure skater).

I enjoy the personality that comes through. Mature, level-headed, interesting.

About her creative side - you know I read that once Sergei Grinkov included a sketch of a figure skate with his autograph and it was a beautiful quick sketch so maybe that's where Daria gets her artsy leanings.

FSWer
08-27-2009, 10:38 PM
http://dailypilot.com/articles/2009/04/02/sports/sage/dpt-spdaria040209.txt

Here is the link to the interview and it contains a photo. If you just use google images there are others of her as a teen and she really is the picture of Sergei Grinkov (except his hair turned brown and hers is still blonde) and gets more so all the time instead of less.

Her little sister Liza is about 8 and is Katia Gordeeva's daughter with Ilia Kulik. A very good skater, very dedicated says Daria.

Daria says she was definitely pushed by everyone around her except her mom (to be an OGM figure skater).

I enjoy the personality that comes through. Mature, level-headed, interesting.

About her creative side - you know I read that once Sergei Grinkov included a sketch of a figure skate with his autograph and it was a beautiful quick sketch so maybe that's where Daria gets her artsy leanings.

Is he coaching Liza? For some reason I can't access any pic.

Schmeck
08-28-2009, 08:21 AM
Just to note - her last name isn't Grinkov, it's Grinkova. Russian tradition is to take the father's name and add an A on the end if you are female.

FSWer
08-28-2009, 06:41 PM
Just to note - her last name isn't Grinkov, it's Grinkova. Russian tradition is to take the father's name and add an A on the end if you are female.

ummm,interesting. As I've never known that. So if I had the name Grinn for a Male (for ex.) Grinna would become Female,right? Do all kids have the fathers last name in Russa? Or is it just tradition,and a family can use the mothers last name if wanted? BTW. I have never been able to figure it out. But does anyone here know how to correctly pronouce Daria's last name in English translation? Thanks.

Willoughby
08-28-2009, 08:48 PM
Many, but not all, Russian last names have the -a added for a feminine suffix. For instance, Daria is indeed Grinkova (grin-COVE-a) but Liza's last name, Kulik, does not take a feminine -a so her name is Kulik and doesn't change from male to female.

Daria is 16, an excellent student who wants to go on to college and sounds like a terrific young lady.

Liza is 8 and is skating at the preliminary level. As Ilia has told the Krew several times, she is not at the age where she must consider the sacrifices that a serious competitive career would take. Right now she's having fun and loving skating. When she gets to the point where a decision must be made it will be hers entirely as it was with Daria. Right now Ilia is Liza's coach although Katia worked with her earlier on her basics (and her basics are so good!) but Ilia has taken over more recently. He told us that she now has all her double jumps except the axel (which an 8 year old wouldn't have quite yet). She takes class with other coaches/teachers when they are in Switzerland or Russia.

Both Ilia and Katia are very definite about allowing their girls to follow their individual passions/strengths not what anyone else imagines they should do. I applaud that - good parents.

Nancy

FSWer
08-28-2009, 09:02 PM
Many, but not all, Russian last names have the -a added for a feminine suffix. For instance, Daria is indeed Grinkova (grin-COVE-a) but Liza's last name, Kulik, does not take a feminine -a so her name is Kulik and doesn't change from male to female.

Daria is 16, an excellent student who wants to go on to college and sounds like a terrific young lady.

Liza is 8 and is skating at the preliminary level. As Ilia has told the Krew several times, she is not at the age where she must consider the sacrifices that a serious competitive career would take. Right now she's having fun and loving skating. When she gets to the point where a decision must be made it will be hers entirely as it was with Daria.

Both Ilia and Katia are very definite about allowing their girls to follow their individual passions/strengths not what anyone else imagines they should do. I applaud that - good parents.

Nancy

So you pronouce the (a) in Daria's last name. BTW. has any middle name ever been known? Oh,so Liza has Ilia's last name? BTW. is Liza presuing a Skating career? Just wondering. Any pics of Liza BTW.? I myself wish Daria luck.

Willoughby
08-28-2009, 09:28 PM
Yes, the"a" in Grinkova is pronounced as it looks. Russian middle names are also a Russian thing - they are called patronymics and are variations, depending on whether you're a male or female of your father's first name.

So Daria's middle name is the feminine patronymic for Sergei - Sergeevna and Liza's is the feminine patronymic for Ilia - Ilinichna. So Liza's name is Elizaveta Ilinichna Kulik and Daria's is Daria Sergeevna Grinkova. And yes, Liza is a Kulik - Ilia's her dad.

About a skating career. As I said, Ilia thinks that every child should have a sport on which they concentrate in order to learn the important life lessons that a child can learn from any sport. Whether Liza will compete seriously is not something they can decide (or should decide) at this age. That will come later he says. Right now she is learning, working and enjoying skating very much. She seems to be very talented in that area but as Ilia also said, the skater has to have the fire inside to compete and to give up all the things a teenager has to give up in order to compete at an elite level. He said that he will support her choice to skate or her choice not to skate - it doesn't matter to him as long as she is happy and her education (including athletics) is a good one.

There are photos of Liza on the web mostly from Kristi Yamaguchi shows - look them up. She's adorable and is a clone of her father.

Nancy

FSWer
08-28-2009, 09:36 PM
Yes, the"a" in Grinkova is pronounced as it looks. Russian middle names are also a Russian thing - they are called patronymics and are variations, depending on whether you're a male or female of your father's first name.

So Daria's middle is the feminine patronymic for Sergei - Sergeevna and Liza's is the feminine patronymic for Ilia - Ilinichna. So Liza's name is Elizaveta Ilinichna Kulik and Daria's is Daria Sergeevna Grinkova. And of course Liza is a Kulik - Ilia's her dad.

About a skating career. As I said, Ilia thinks that every child should have a sport on which they concentrate in order to learn the important life lessons that a child can learn from any sport. Whether Liza will compete seriously is not something they can decide (or should decide) at this age. That will come later he says. Right now she is learning, working and enjoying skating very much. She seems to be very talented in that area but as Ilia also said, the skater has to have the fire inside to compete and to give up all the things a teenager has to give up in order to compete at an elite level. He said that he will support her choice to skate or her choice not to skate - it doesn't matter to him as long as she is happy and her education (including athletics) is a good one.

There are photos of Liza on the web mostly from Kristi Yamaguchi shows - look them up. She's adorable and is clone of her father.

Nancy

COOL!!!!!! BTW. do we know any history on how that tradition started? Also,anyone know if there's such a thing as finding people with middle and last names we're familar with in America in Russa?

Shallwedance
08-30-2009, 03:34 PM
Yes, of course nobody can predict Liza's competitive future now, but it's also true that family members have said that Liza appears to have the competitive personality a lot more than Daria. Katia has said that explicitly, and so has Daria. Given her age, no, no predictions. But with her it's a little more than doing it for fun and having a sport to get the benefits from sport. They know things can change, but for now she is being trained as a child who takes it quite seriously.

Willoughby
08-30-2009, 03:57 PM
I'm just going by what Ilia has told me directly several times. Yes indeed, she's getting the best of training that is appropriate to her age - of course her coaches are Kulik and Gordeeva! But more than anyone else could, both mom and dad understand how far away she is from any kind of competitive career -in years and in many other ways. Ilia thinks she is very good but always says that there are many kids at rinks everywhere who are just as good at that age. A lot has to sort itself out naturally over time - he's so clear about that. So they don't count any chickens - there are no assumptions about her skating future; they seem to live very much in the present about Liza's skating and I think that's the key - staying in the present. They are definitely not pushing, just offering the best training available if she wants to participate - so far, she does enthusiastically (actually Ilia says, with amusement, that they have a hard time getting her off the ice not on it). My sense is that Katia and Daria were both referring to her enormous enthusiasm for the sport so far; since she just started at competing (at a very non-competitive level) her appetite for real competition is one of those 'yet to be knowns.'

Nancy

Mel On Ice
09-01-2009, 08:05 PM
never been a fan of Ilia's skating, but he seems like a great parent, very level-headed.

Willoughby
09-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Ilia is (IMHO) a lot of terrific things and level-headed is definitely one of them.

Nancy

FSWer
09-13-2009, 08:20 PM

SAY, am not familar with it. Volleyball I deffenitely know...But what in the world is...Lacrosse? BTW. it woud be up to Liza herself. But I'd love to see what turns out to be with her. If she indeed beomes a Figure Skater.

4rkidz
09-15-2009, 08:51 PM
SAY, am not familar with it. Volleyball I deffenitely know...But what in the world is...Lacrosse? BTW. it woud be up to Liza herself. But I'd love to see what turns out to be with her. If she indeed beomes a Figure Skater.

Lacrosse is the oldest team sport in North America... a game that was originated by the First Nations people of North American (aka.. North American Indians.. Natives).. its played in both Canada and America

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_lacrosse

FSWer
09-15-2009, 09:12 PM
Lacrosse is the oldest team sport in North America... a game that was originated by the First Nations people of North American (aka.. North American Indians.. Natives).. its played in both Canada and America

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_lacrosse

So,what modden game is modled after it? Is it what Botchi is to us?

TreSk8sAZ
09-15-2009, 10:04 PM
Bocce is completely different. Bocce is played on a small court with small teams. Players bowl balls down the court trying to get closest to a small ball (the "jack"). Whoever gets closest scores.

Lacrosse is played on a soccer type field with large teams. Each player has a stick with a net on the end of it. There are two goals, one on each end of the field, guarded by a goalkeeper. The object is to get the ball (thrown between players using the sticks) into the other teams goal. Whoever scores the most points wins.

FSWer
09-15-2009, 10:54 PM
Bocce is completely different. Bocce is played on a small court with small teams. Players bowl balls down the court trying to get closest to a small ball (the "jack"). Whoever gets closest scores.

Lacrosse is played on a soccer type field with large teams. Each player has a stick with a net on the end of it. There are two goals, one on each end of the field, guarded by a goalkeeper. The object is to get the ball (thrown between players using the sticks) into the other teams goal. Whoever scores the most points wins.

Simular to Field Hockey then,right? If so...are the rules the same,and how does it differ?

Virtualsk8r
09-16-2009, 08:53 AM
Simular to Field Hockey then,right? If so...are the rules the same,and how does it differ?

Not really - except both sports use a soccer or football field. Lacrosse is played using a long stick with a U-shaped woven basket at the end (think of a 8" small tennis racket with a pouch in the middle). The ball is thrown like baseball or football and caught by the players in that pouch....as the players progress down the field towards the goal.

Field hockey uses a shorter stick with a hook on the end - similar to an ice hockey stick. The ball progesses down the field towards the goal on the ground rather than in the air as with lacrosse. Shin guards are necessary in field hockey because in a scrum the 'hockey' sticks battle on the ground for the ball - similar to ice hockey.

Simplified: Field hockey -- balls travels on the ground --think ice hockey on grass with a round ball
Lacrosse: --- ball travels through the air --- think baseball on a football field.

Hope that helps.

Shallwedance
09-18-2009, 08:29 AM

So it's sort of field hockey?

manleywoman
09-18-2009, 09:49 AM
No. Lacrosse is played in the air: the ball is thrown. Field hockey the ball it hit on the ground.