View Full Version : Wheelchairs on Ice?

katz in boots
08-22-2009, 03:58 AM
A couple of times recently, management have let a guy in an electric wheelchair on the ice during busy public sessions (I'd guess he has cerebral palsy, by looking at him. I'm told he's very intelligent). I couldn't believe it the first time it happened, I was horrified.

I asked him to go around the same way as everyone else, he either didn't understand, or chose not to do this. Which meant we had an electric chair going wherever he felt, stopping wherever he felt, changing direction suddenly, and driving straight at me while I was spinning a few times.

So many people (not just figure skaters) complain to each other about how dangerous it is, but I don't think anyone complains to management (who don't seem to give a damn, claim they have no public liability insurance and never seem to watch what's going on on the ice anyway ).

I suspect no-one says anything for fear of being told they are discriminating against someone with a disability. No-one wants to be seen as discriminatory and he obviously really enjoys it. But it isn't ice skating, and it is very dangerous to all concerned. Is it discrimination to stop someone from ice skating if they aren't skating?

Would this happen in a public session at your rink?

caffn8me
08-22-2009, 07:51 AM
I've seen wheelchairs on the ice at my regular rink (Streatham, London, UK) and they had helpers who ensured they followed the normal skating flow and didn't aim for other skaters.

There's an interesting article about wheelchair users on ice at http://www.bbc.co.uk/ouch/features/cripples_on_ice.shtml

I have no objections to wheelchair users being on the rink but like any ice user, sensible use helps everyone to get the most out of the ice.

Sarah

Schmeck
08-22-2009, 10:23 AM
We have a policy at our local rink that everyone on the ice has to have skates on - so I guess if the guy in the wheelchair was wearing skates it would be OK...

I think it's dangerous to have an electric wheelchair on the ice - the wheels are full of dirt and crap that could get stuck on the ice, the battery has acid in it that could leak, and if anyone collided with the chair, it would be very difficult to get the person in the wheelchair off the ice if the chair became disabled.

caffn8me
08-22-2009, 12:30 PM
I don't think it's that difficult to get an electric chair off the ice if it breaks down. I've got unconscious hockey players off the ice before and they're not exactly lightweight.

Electric chairs can be pushed so all it takes is someone competent in skates. You need to get the wheelchairs on and off the ice at the ramp the Zamboni uses.

Provided people are sensible there's no reason wheelchairs can't be used on ice safely and enjoyably. Perhaps it needs a wheelchair only session or a part of the ice coned off on some rinks but there's nothing inherently dangerous about having a wheelchair on ice. They are extremely unlikely to turn over as they won't be able to corner fast enough with sufficient grip between the wheels and the ice.

I'm all in favour of extending access to sporting facilities to the disabled.

Sarah

maxinemcdonnell
10-16-2009, 02:12 AM
I totally disagree with what you are saying, why should it make a difference if someone is in a wheel chair either electric or manual. It is people like you that that really wind me up I have a disabled brother and I often take him ice skating he loves it so much it is very hard to find ice rinks that will alow us on the ice due to people complaining which is absolutly digusting there is nothing unsafe about it. And if someone is in an electric chair as you will no if this was your experience how fast does an electric chair really go on the ice they are like a snail so stop being so selfish.

Debbie S
10-16-2009, 10:39 AM
so stop being so selfish.Stop writing in run-on sentences.

From what the OP has said, the problem is not the wheelchair - it's that the person in the wheelchair and/or his helper won't follow the rules that apply to every other skater on the public session - go in the same direction and stay out of the center, and look out for others. You can't have it both ways - if you're in favor of equal access, you need to be in favor of equal expectations and rules.

The larger issue is what happens if/when someone else's rights compromise the rights (and safety) of others. Everyone who pays money to skate at a rink should be able to expect that, for the most part, rules that keep people safe will be enforced. In my area, there was an issue with a group of blind people wanting to skate at a public session. The rink owner originally denied them, and said they needed to purchase private ice, but there were threats of a lawsuit and such so she allowed them on the public ice. The problem is, of course, if someone is blind they can't watch out for other skaters, and you can't have service dogs on the ice (I don't even think that issue was raised). That puts other skaters in danger. From what I understand, the rink owner wanted to cone off a section at the end for the blind skaters, but again, more lawsuit threats. So the non-blind people who skated on the public session that this group attended stopped coming b/c they feared for their safety - I believe there were several collisions and near-collisions. So the rink owner lost out on their money.

It's not about selfishness, it's about safety. If some (non-disabled) kid weaved in and out and skated through the circle and never watched out for people, wouldn't you complain?

kayskate
10-17-2009, 09:38 AM
This is an interesting topic.
One rink where I used to skate yrs ago had a sled that disabled ppl could use. A helper pushed the person around in the sled. it was nice b/c the rider could really experience the gliding sensation. I have never seen a person on the ice in a wheelchair. My current rink has a rule that every one must wear skates on the ice for safety. This keeps little kids in shoes off the ice and parents from stepping on the ice in shoes w their kids.

As for the blind group. There is no reason blind ppl can't skate. The issue is safety for all; blind and sighted. Buddy skating would be a good idea. If the blind skaters are beginners, they would probably be next to the wall like any other beginner. If they are partially sighted (like Lexie ;>) ), they may be able to see others. If there is a grp of blind ppl who skate regularly, maybe the rink could offer a session for them once a week or whatever to meet their needs. I don't know if this would cause legal probs, but it would make sense if the skaters are more advanced. My rink has down time during the day that would be great for a special needs grp.

Kay

dbny
10-17-2009, 12:09 PM
I am amazed that a blind person would want to go out on the ice alone on a public session with absolutely no way to discern obstacles. You don't see blind people walk down the street without a cane, a dog, or another person helping them. That's just common sense. I also find it hard to believe that not one among that group was aware of the danger of on-ice collisions. Finally, I can't see an insurance company sanctioning unaccompained blind people on a public session. It would be negligence on the rink's part. I wonder if that particular group was trying to push some weight around and really had no interest in skating (and certainly not in safety.)

Kat12
10-18-2009, 06:09 PM
Hrm, gets me thinking...i wonder if you could use a cane on ice. I suppose you could, since all you'd need to locate with it would be the wall (we won't count other skaters!).

Schmeck
10-18-2009, 07:27 PM
I totally disagree with what you are saying, why should it make a difference if someone is in a wheel chair either electric or manual. It is people like you that that really wind me up I have a disabled brother and I often take him ice skating he loves it so much it is very hard to find ice rinks that will alow us on the ice due to people complaining which is absolutly digusting there is nothing unsafe about it. And if someone is in an electric chair as you will no if this was your experience how fast does an electric chair really go on the ice they are like a snail so stop being so selfish.

Every object (or person) that goes on an ice surface becomes a liability to the rink management and a risk to someone else's safety. That includes every person and every skate aid known to man - and the people have to follow the rules and agree to a waiver about the risks. An electric chair brings a certain amount of momentum with it - they can weigh up to 300 lbs or more, so that is a concern. There is also a large battery (with liquid or gel acid in it) that contains a hazardous substance. The ADA allows for refusal of service if there is an undue burden (risk to the ice surface) or a safety hazard (battery acid), so a rink has the right to refuse an electric wheelchair on the ice.

There are alternatives to bringing the chair onto the ice - previously mentioned was a sled (there are teams that play hockey this way) and I've also seen chair-sleds, like a wheelchair with skis on the bottom. The only problem with the chair sled is that it is not controlled by the occupant, and there is no way to stop it if the pusher trips and sends the chair flying.

londonicechamp
10-19-2009, 01:20 AM
Hi

I am not against the disabled people using wheelchairs on the ice, as long as they abide by the rules.

I do know that some outdoor rinks in London, during the seasons that they are opened, offers closed sessions for wheelchair users. This means that the session will be closed to the public, the wheelchair person has to be accompanied by an ice guard or companion who can skate, and their electric wheelchair has to be in non moving motion on the ice. For more info. on this, checkout www.somersethouse.org.uk, the ice rink session.

londonicechamp

maxinemcdonnell
10-19-2009, 06:13 AM
The thing is its all well and good saying that private sessions should be arranged or part of the ice should be sectioned off.

But wheres the fun in that being stuck in a corner on your own being isolated from everyone, this happens far too much already in many other situations

This is why our family loves going ice skating it is something we can all do and my brother feels like and equal and does not feel left out which is what usually happens.

I will admit that when we go ice skating my brother does not go in his electric chair because it is to slow there is no speed, obviously it would be better if he could do it himself though.

I understand that people think electric chair and then see battery and acid but do you know what the chances are of there being a situation with it leaking.

odeshrifir
11-01-2009, 02:33 PM
I laughed so hard my daughter walked in the room and asked what was so funny!!
Thank you for the smile and for being such a great PM friend to me!! I'm so grateful for all your support and friendship...

LilJen
11-01-2009, 03:12 PM
I'm not at the crowded public sessions at our rink, but the rink does have a sled hockey league. Perfect if you're paraplegic, but you do have to have the use of your upper body; if you're quadriplegic or have only limited use of your upper body, an electric wheelchair would probably be your ony option. Whatever you do use to get around, I agree that certain rules need to be followed for the safety of everyone.