View Full Version : Discipline(s)/how many hrs. a day,month you train.

FSWer
08-19-2009, 09:57 PM
Ok fellow skaters!!!!! As an On Ice Skater..how many hrs. a day and month do you train? Please include your Discipline. If you do more then one. Please specify your training for all. For me..I'm not really sure if what I do is CALLED training. But assuming that it is I'm a Learn to Skate training I'd say about 2hrs. on Sun. 4-8 hrs. a month. Anyone else?

teresa
08-19-2009, 11:08 PM
I try to skate between 6 and 7 hours a week. Some weeks I can't swing it and do less.

teresa

Kat12
08-20-2009, 06:45 AM
As LTS I try to do at least a couple sessions a week--1.5 hours Sunday locally, and throw in at least one 1-hour "after school" session (on my lunch break) in the city I work in (am eagerly awaiting the start of school again there so my session comes back! So I can actually make some progress). And then of course my class.

I think esp. when learning the basics, you want to get in as much practice as possible, in part because the movements are still new to you and you don't have the muscle memory you would if you'd skated for years. Also, the easier the movements, as in the beginning, the faster you'll pick them up, so the more you skate, the sooner you'll have the basics down.

I'd also advise that you break up your time--instead of, say, four hours once a week, make it 1 or 1.5 hours a few times a week if you can. That way you don't burn out on one marathon session, plus you get practice in every few days (again, muscle memory) rather than having days and days in between.

I know some people would say that if you're just a beginner, you only need like an hour a week, but as I've said above, I don't think that's true.

Obviously, you get as much practice as is possible to you in your situation, so if you can't do the ideal amount (as I can't and you may not be able to), then don't beat yourself up and just do what you can, but if I could skate to my preference, that would be what I'd do.

hanca
08-20-2009, 07:02 AM
I train 12-15 hours per week, which is around 60 per month.

Skittl1321
08-20-2009, 07:51 AM
I do freestyle mostly, though I've stopped jumping recently. Yesterday I restarted ice dance (having only previously learned 1 dance, now I know 2). I mostly train MITF, because that's what I enjoy.

I skate anywhere from 1.5 hours to 3 hours a week, so 6-12 hours a month.

FSWer
08-20-2009, 09:15 AM
I do freestyle mostly, though I've stopped jumping recently. Yesterday I restarted ice dance (having only previously learned 1 dance, now I know 2). I mostly train MITF, because that's what I enjoy.

I skate anywhere from 1.5 hours to 3 hours a week, so 6-12 hours a month.

HEY!!!! Before we go on......CONGRATULATIONS JESSI

Skittl1321
08-20-2009, 10:17 AM
Well thank you, but all I've done is learned the steps. I can't do the dances too well yet.

londonicechamp
08-20-2009, 12:37 PM
Hi

I train about 2 to 2.5 hours each time, 3 times for practice, so 6 hours (approximately)in total, which includes 2 30 minutes lesson twice weekly.

This means that I train about 24 hours a month.

Coach wants me to do power stroking classes as well early saturday mornings. Though I said yes at first, after second thoughts, I withdrew as I do not feel comfortable skating with small kids (according to coach, most of the students in that group are small kids), and also it is very early in the morning, from 8 to 9 a.m.

As I now train quite a lot, and am very likely to land myself a job after I have been called to the Bar in probably Dec of this year, I think that it is not practical to also enroll myself in the power stroking classes.

londonicechamp

TreSk8sAZ
08-20-2009, 01:17 PM
Well, as I'm recovering from an injury (and looking for a job -- anyone need a fledgling lawyer waiting for bar results? lol!) I'm starting again at 2 hrs 15 minutes per week. This includes one 30 minute dance lesson and 1 30 minute freestyle/MITF lesson (I can't jump yet, so really it's just spins, footwork, and moves). So, about 9 hours per month.

But when I fully start training again it will be 2 hours per day, 5-6 days a week. I do freestyle and dance, so the 10-12 hours a week encompasses a 30 minute dance lesson, two 30 minute freestyle/MITF lessons, and the rest is practice split up depending on how I feel a certain day. Per month that's between 40 and 48 hours per week.

I also do off-ice at least three hours every week. Right now that includes physical therapy exercises, weights and cardio, but eventually I hope to add other things back in.

also it is very early in the morning, from 8 to 9 a.m.

Sorry, this struck me as funny. Getting on the ice at 8 a.m. would mean sleeping in for me! :giveup: