View Full Version : A question about Pairs VS. Dance...what exactly is the cut-off age?

FSWer
08-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Ok people. Seeing the former Pairs champions at the Rink bought this question on to me...and that is...I know it is possible for Ice-Dances to be in there 60's-80's. As I HAVE seen a Partnership of around that age. But does anyone know exactually what the oldest PAIRS Skaters can be? I am expecting that because throws are invoved,that a Pair skater couldn't be 60-80. As bones might break. But then again. I don't know of anything in the rulebook that confurms this. If there is indeed a cut-off point were the DO have to Retire VS. them deciding on their own. Does anyone know what it is? Thanks.

icedancer2
08-17-2009, 10:37 PM
There is no cut-off age - most skaters retire when they are ready - ice-dancers tend to be a bit older.... but some pairs skaters are in their thirties - John Baldwin is one such skaters.

FSWer
08-17-2009, 11:11 PM
Is it possible for Pairs to be in there 60's or 70's? Or are we talking it being too dangous because of age?

Clarice
08-18-2009, 07:10 AM
Well, the Protopopovs are that old. According to Wikipedia, Oleg was born in 1932 and Ludmila in 1935. That makes him 77 and her 74, if I did my math right. Their skating was always about beautiful balletic moves. They skated to slow, classical music, focused on expression, and were particularly known for their variations on death spirals. Pair skating has come a long way since their competitive days - the Protopopovs never did the big, dangerous tricks that today's pair skaters do.

FSWer
08-18-2009, 08:57 AM
Well, the Protopopovs are that old. According to Wikipedia, Oleg was born in 1932 and Ludmila in 1935. That makes him 77 and her 74, if I did my math right. Their skating was always about beautiful balletic moves. They skated to slow, classical music, focused on expression, and were particularly known for their variations on death spirals. Pair skating has come a long way since their competitive days - the Protopopovs never did the big, dangerous tricks that today's pair skaters do.

Could they stil be doing Pairs if they wanted to at that age,like Ice-Dancers can? BTW. are they married or siblings?

Clarice
08-18-2009, 09:10 AM
They are married, and they still perform as a pair. Not very often any more, but they still skate every October in "An Evening With Champions" at Harvard University.

TreSk8sAZ
08-18-2009, 12:27 PM
I think your question is a bit broad. There is a huge difference between skating pairs at age 60 or 70 and doing shows, competing as an adult, and competing for the Olympics or something like that. No, it is not likely that a pair in their 60s could compete for a spot at the Olympics. The lifts and throws that are being done are dangerous, in addition to needing triple jumps, and likely a couple of that age would choose not to due to health risks. Though there is no age cut-off in the rules, I don't see it as likely to happen.

However, I could very well see a couple of that age competing at adult nationals. The lifts and throws are still dangerous, but you don't need throw triples or side by side triple jumps in order to be competitive. It's still a high quality performance level, but they would be competing with other adults who do similar things.

FSWer
08-18-2009, 07:07 PM
I think your question is a bit broad. There is a huge difference between skating pairs at age 60 or 70 and doing shows, competing as an adult, and competing for the Olympics or something like that. No, it is not likely that a pair in their 60s could compete for a spot at the Olympics. The lifts and throws that are being done are dangerous, in addition to needing triple jumps, and likely a couple of that age would choose not to due to health risks. Though there is no age cut-off in the rules, I don't see it as likely to happen.

However, I could very well see a couple of that age competing at adult nationals. The lifts and throws are still dangerous, but you don't need throw triples or side by side triple jumps in order to be competitive. It's still a high quality performance level, but they would be competing with other adults who do similar things.

Clarance had more of the right idea about my question. If people could indeed still do Pairs just in genual at that age.BTW.,are they alone in their family for Pairs Skating? Or is anyone following them? Does anyone also have any pics of them skating in Evening with the Champions? Did they do it last year?

Clarice
08-18-2009, 09:16 PM
FSWer, try to go to this web address and watch the YouTube video. This is the Protopopovs skating at An Evening With Champions in 2005. Ludmila would have been about 70 and Oleg 73.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rbf3lURTrw

FSWer
08-18-2009, 11:34 PM
FSWer, try to go to this web address and watch the YouTube video. This is the Protopopovs skating at An Evening With Champions in 2005. Ludmila would have been about 70 and Oleg 73.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rbf3lURTrw

Are there any others? I am not compatible with Youtube.