View Full Version : Amusement Park Skating Show

Isk8NYC
08-14-2009, 02:35 PM
There's always dissention in the ranks when we go to an amusement park because (a) Mom doesn't go on rides that fling you around at great heights; and (b) Mom likes to see the shows.

I've gotten over my love of parades since I discovered the ride lines are shorter while the parade passes by everyone else. Although I always watch the kiddie parade at Sesame Place because it's the cutest of them all. Little tots, pulled from the crowd, holding Elmo's hand and chanting their ABCs - so sweet and they deserve an audience!

Anyway, back on topic: I went to see the "Endless Summer on Ice" show at Carowinds. On a hot day, sitting inside an air-conditioned theatre watching skating by myself on a teeny-tiny ice stage sure beats waiting in the hot sun for everyone else to get off the roller coaster.

It was a cute show. Music, lighting, and choreography were good. I think the skater in the Scooby Doo costume was a hockey skater, just based on his posture, but maybe the weight of the costume had something to do with it.

The show had a "Car Wash" number where the girls had on short-shorts and tops, and the boys were wearing what looked like 1920's flapper dresses. When they spun, I got the joke: they were the soft brushes inside the car wash that lather up the cars! lol That was really fun to watch.

The skaters did pretty well considering the size restrictions. There was a fall or two, a cheated landing here and there, but overall, the show was very nostaligic. One skater did a stunning fast scratch spin that he held for what seemed like forever, there were several illusions and lovely laybacks without the obligatory haircutter/Biellman add-on. The one skater who did a Victory spiral got less applause than the one who had a perfect FO spiral. Go figure! The crowd preferred the more graceful posture! They had two pairs teams, one of which I think just hooked up for the show itself, that did a great job with their solos.

I enjoyed the show very much; I hope the kids skating in it had as much fun and are paid decently for entertaining the crowd. On paper, it's a fun summer job for a figure skater!