View Full Version : Name the one move that is your dream to be able to do in Skating.

FSWer
07-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Ok people!!!!! Today I want you to name the one move that is your dream to be able to do in Skating. Please name only one. For me that's easy....give me a Spiral!!!!! Ok people....GO!!!!!

niupartyangel
07-26-2009, 09:13 PM
Mine would be the layback spin! It is so gorgeous. I'm working on the back scratch now so hopefully I get a layback by the time I'm 30...(I'll be 28 this year). That's my long term goal, not even the axel! :D

luckykid
07-30-2009, 01:29 AM
I want to do a spiral too. A Kerrigan spiral to be specific and maybe the Biellmann spiral too. I don't quite like the other variations of spirals.

FSWer
07-30-2009, 10:57 AM
I'm confused on how there is more then 1 kind of Spiral.

Clarice
07-30-2009, 03:17 PM
FSWer, a spiral, as you know, is a move done on one leg with the free leg held up in the air higher than hip level. Spirals can be done on either leg, outside or inside edges, and backwards or forwards. The free leg can also be held in different positions - in back, in front, or out to the side. The skater can also hold on to the knee or skate blade of the free leg, and the free leg can be straight or bent. Some of those different possibilities have names - although they're really more like nicknames, not official names. A "Kerrigan spiral", for instance, refers to the specific spiral position Nancy Kerrigan often used, where she extended her free leg to the back and held on to the knee. A "Biellmann spiral" is one where the skater grabs the blade of the free foot and pulls it overhead just like in a Biellmann spin. Maybe you could start another thread to see how many different kinds of spirals people can name.

By the way, all these moves are called "spirals" because if the skater holds them long enough, the long curving edge will draw a spiral on the ice, like a snail shell. Skaters don't usually hold them that long in their programs, though.

Mel On Ice
07-30-2009, 07:39 PM
axel or any of the senior moves in the field

FSWer
07-30-2009, 07:56 PM
FSWer, a spiral, as you know, is a move done on one leg with the free leg held up in the air higher than hip level. Spirals can be done on either leg, outside or inside edges, and backwards or forwards. The free leg can also be held in different positions - in back, in front, or out to the side. The skater can also hold on to the knee or skate blade of the free leg, and the free leg can be straight or bent. Some of those different possibilities have names - although they're really more like nicknames, not official names. A "Kerrigan spiral", for instance, refers to the specific spiral position Nancy Kerrigan often used, where she extended her free leg to the back and held on to the knee. A "Biellmann spiral" is one where the skater grabs the blade of the free foot and pulls it overhead just like in a Biellmann spin. Maybe you could start another thread to see how many different kinds of spirals people can name.

By the way, all these moves are called "spirals" because if the skater holds them long enough, the long curving edge will draw a spiral on the ice, like a snail shell. Skaters don't usually hold them that long in their programs, though.

Interesting. I didn't know holding the skate over your head was still a Spiral. BTW. when doing one,how do you keep gliding and put the speed on one after you lift your leg from a 2-foot glide? Do you also put your leg up WHILE gliding at the same time? Also,is it natual for you leg to bend first at the knee when putting it up? Any other moves people dream to do here?