View Full Version : Liberty Summer Competition 2009

rsk8d
07-19-2009, 07:06 PM
Just got back from Liberty this weekend, and it was a great competition. Watched some great skating when I found time to get away from our busy booth! Patrick Chan's new free program is fabulously choreographed, and he is a very nice guy as well. Got the chance to have some Q & A for the Sk8Strong newsletter with Ashley Wagner and Adam Rippon, who were so sweet and gracious. As for the skating, standouts were:

1) Angela Maxwell, with GREATLY improved artistry and choreography (which was previously lacking). Switched her training to New Jersey, and it seems to be working for her. Also a great, mature short haircut that made her skate 'older'. Loved her since intermediate at JNs

2) Keegan Messing: I have never been a big fan of his style, as he needs several years to grow and mature, but this kid can JUMP. Triple axel at high speed that travelled halfway across the rink (no exaggeration). If he can get someone to work on his posture and style, watch out. Also looks like he extremely enjoys performing.

3) Ross Miner: Better consistency in his jumps, and improving artistry. He has a ways to go, but it shows that he has worked hard in the off-season to improve.

4) Ryan Bradley's short: Didn't place well because of missed jumps, but he has another entertaining program with killer footwork.

5) Haley Dunne (Jr. Ladies): only does up to 3T and 3S, but this girl has solid as a rock consistency. Hardlly missed a thing in two freeskates.

6) Yasmin Siraj (Jr. Ladies): Another up and comer with 5 triples in her program. So tiny- it'll be interesting to see her skating when she matures.

7) Melissa Bulanhagui: solid 3A attempt, though downgraded. Always a gutsy skater, it's nice to see a lady taking risk.

Overall, I noticed a lot of interesting choreography from the senior men. For some reason, many of the ladies' programs have that cookie cutter look- I think it's the darn spiral sequence that we're all getting sick of. The men seem to come up with innovative steps inbetween all of the jumps. Also notable in that department was senior man Wesley Campbell.