View Full Version : Jennifer Kirk On Her (And Other Skaters') Eating Disorders

montanarose
07-05-2009, 11:24 PM
As you may recall, Jenny was 2001 World Junior Champion (and, if I recall correctly, one of Dick Button's famous "baby ballerinas" of that era).

http://trueslant.com/jenniferkirk/2009/07/05/skatings-not-so-secret-shame/

Mel On Ice
07-07-2009, 04:55 PM
good for her for saying something! I'm an adult skater, obviously not going to the Olympics, and have had harsh criticism of my weight from judges who felt it necessary to tell me why they placed me lower than thinner, less accomplished skaters.

Our club had Miss Michigan/MIss America Kristen Haglund speak to skaters about her struggles with disorders, and I hope that touched a nerve.

Debbie S
07-09-2009, 08:55 AM
I'm an adult skater, obviously not going to the Olympics, and have had harsh criticism of my weight from judges who felt it necessary to tell me why they placed me lower than thinner, less accomplished skaters. What?! 8O That's terrible! You know, one of my coaches says that she has run into that with skaters testing. She mentioned this when we were talking about a teenager (who is not stick-thin, but not overweight by any definition) who had failed her Senior MIF a few times (she has since passed) and this coach mentioned that the judges might be tougher on her b/c she didn't have a typical skater's body. And this girl is very powerful, with great edges (my coach saw one of her Senior tests and couldn't understand what the judges were thinking). And my coach also mentioned this issue with regard to a young girl (about 9 or 10) that was having difficulty passing Juv MIF - this girl was short and chubby. I mean really, this is testing, and kids we're talking about here....it's not the Olys! :twisted: (and even then, weight shouldn't matter, but we all know it does...)