View Full Version : Washington [state] Passes on Funding Skating Nationals

Isk8NYC
05-01-2009, 01:43 PM
Full Story: http://www.ktre.com/global/story.asp?s=10286916

Associated Press - May 1, 2009 12:33 PM ET

SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) - The U.S. Figure Skating Championships will go on as planned in Spokane in January, despite state lawmakers killing a $600,000 appropriation that would have helped stage the event.

The Jan. 14-24 event also serves as the trials for the Vancouver Olympics. In a switch from previous years, nationals will be spread over two weekends.

Organizers agreed to pay U.S. Figure Skating $1.2 million to bring nationals back to Spokane for the second time in four years. Local governments and groups put up half that amount, and hoped state funds would cover the other half.

As long as no other sports events are getting state funds, this is okay with me. If figure skating was singled out, that's not right.

It goes on to say that the organizers weren't worried because the 2007 USFSA Nationals in Spokane set new attendance records. I don't know though. With the event taking place right before the Olympics, some fans might save their money for Vancouver tickets instead.

znachki
05-01-2009, 02:41 PM
As long as no other sports events are getting state funds, this is okay with me. If figure skating was singled out, that's not right.

It's not just sports, the entire state budget is being drastically reduced, including many services, education and on and on. If they had passed that appropriation, lawmakers would have had a lot of explaining to do.

Isk8NYC
05-01-2009, 02:48 PM
I agree with that, and I respect their decision as long as they don't fund the Kayaking Nationals or similar. That's all I'm saying.

FigureSk8Dad
05-01-2009, 05:35 PM
Much explaining to do, yes. But, I wonder how much revenue this event will bring to the state. When the books are balanced, I believe this $600,000 would have been a great investment for the economy. Yes, the Championships will still go on as planned. The state will still get that money from out-of-state pockets, but how soon will another event this large be willing to return?

I know that states have been making cuts all over in their budgets. Often there is little or no return to the community. At least this is a no brainer as far as return goes. Let's see, if 600 of us fans manage to find rock bottom accommodations and are spendthrifts, we would still find it nearly impossible to keep from doubling the state's investment. Granted, the local communities will see the most benefit from these funds directly injected into their economies, and they have contributed; The state will also receive 6.5 cents on the dollar in sales taxes. That could easily pass the original outlay.

Sorry about the rant, it's just that this type of decision making can really hurt the skating community just when it truly needs a boost.