View Full Version : World Pairs final results (**spoiler**)

Artemis
03-26-2009, 10:54 AM
1 Aliona SAVCHENKO / Robin SZOLKOWY GER
2 Dan ZHANG / Hao ZHANG CHN
3 Yuko KAVAGUTI / Alexander SMIRNOV RUS
4 Qing PANG / Jian TONG CHN
5 Maria MUKHORTOVA / Maxim TRANKOV RUS
6 Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Stanislav MOROZOV
7 Jessica DUBE / Bryce DAVISON CAN
8 Meagan DUHAMEL / Craig BUNTIN CAN
9 Caydee DENNEY / Jeremy BARRETT USA
10 Mylene BRODEUR / John MATTATALL CAN
11 Keauna MCLAUGHLIN / Rockne BRUBAKER USA

All 3 top teams had deductions, so it doesn't look like it was exactly a cleanly skated event.

Congrats to all 3 Canadian teams making top 10 ... but too bad they're just a couple of placements shy of being able to send 3 teams to Olympics.

Isk8NYC
03-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Brubaker and Sullivan's placement surprised me, I didn't watch either Pairs event, but I had thought they would have done better. I have the Pairs Final playing now, but I guess they had problems, huh?

It's nice to see some shakeup for a change. Someone asked me if the skaters were "holding back" so they don't peak too early before the Olympic qualifiers and games.

I wouldn't think so - doesn't their placement at Worlds determine how many skaters in each event their country can send to the Olympics?

MQSeries
03-26-2009, 01:09 PM
Keauna & Rockne overall finish - Surprised but not suprised. Suprised that they finished so low considering all the hype surrounding them. Not suprised because I've yet seen a clean LP from them since they turned seniors.

I guess this means the US only get two pairs entry for the Olympics? :(

I'm glad S&S won. I wish I could've seen it on TV.

Petlover
03-26-2009, 03:19 PM
I'm very pleased that Denney and Barrett finished 9th. A top ten finish for that new and young pair is phenomenal! I'm wondering if McLaughlin was still suffering from her illness, but McLaughlin and Brubaker are a fabulous pair and will definitely rebound next season.

I really do like S&S, so it's great that they repeated as World Champions.

dbny
03-26-2009, 08:15 PM
I'm glad S&S won. I wish I could've seen it on TV.

Watch it at your leisure at UniversalSports.com (http://www.universalsports.com/mediaPlayer/media.dbml?CLIP_ID=385174&CLIP_FILE_ID=392777&_MODE_=ONDEMAND&db_oem_id=23000). That's a link the event video. The teams skating earlier, are not, of course, all that, but take at look at the second to skate (20 min in) if you want to see a heartbreaking and very common mistake. If you're a skater, you'll feel better the next time it happens to you. The last 4 teams begin skating at 3 hrs 20 min into the event.''

I loved S & S!!! I also really liked the Canadian team who place just ahead of McLaughlin & Brubaker, as did the audience.

Artemis
03-27-2009, 11:32 AM
... The teams skating earlier, are not, of course, all that, but take at look at the second to skate (20 min in) if you want to see a heartbreaking and very common mistake. If you're a skater, you'll feel better the next time it happens to you.

That site is only available in the US, and the CBC video site is cumbersome to navigate ... can you tell me what happend to them? I can see by their scores that they had a tough time, but is there something else you're referring to as their "common mistake"?

Isk8NYC
03-27-2009, 12:27 PM
Right at the beginning, she was skating backwards while holding his hands as he skated forwards. She had a "click of death" moment on a back crossover that caused them both to fall. They were shocked, but got back up and kept going fine. She was upset in the K&C.

She's beautiful and he's handsome!

dbny
03-28-2009, 04:59 PM
It was the very first back crossover and almost the first step she took. I agree on their looks.

DH and I were having a discussion, started by their performance, about nationals of one country representing another when it is clear they are doing it because they could not make the cut at home. Both Crenshaw and Tsagris are American, born here. "Tsagris" sounds like a Greek name to me, so there may some justification there. DH is totally opposed to the practice, while I feel that after having devoted your entire (albeit short) life to figure skating, and knowing you are not going to make the podium at home, you might want to at least be able to put "Worlds competitor" on your coaching resume.