View Full Version : Evgeny Plushenko Plans Comeback

Isk8NYC
03-19-2009, 03:40 AM
What is going on with all these returning skaters? The AP says that Plushenko plans to compete in the 2010 Olympics!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/more/03/18/plushenko-comeback.ap/index.html

Figure skating champ Plushenko plans to defend title in Vancouver

NEW YORK (AP) -- Evgeni Plushenko is planning a comeback to defend his Olympic figure skating title at the Vancouver Games.
The three-time world champion, who overwhelmed the field at the Turin Olympics and dominated skating from 2003-06, is back training with longtime coach Alexei Mishin, according to agent Ari Zakarian. Plushenko already has mastered two quadruple jumps, Zakarian said.
"Evgeni is really focused on the training, he took away all his major show appearances, and he is looking to the Vancouver Olympics," Zakarian said on Wednesday.

FULL STORY ON SPORTS ILLUSTRATED SITE:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/more/03/18/plushenko-comeback.ap/index.html (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/more/03/18/plushenko-comeback.ap/index.html)

Nicki
03-19-2009, 11:01 PM
He's been saying for some time that he was planning to make a return to compettitive skating. I assumed it was just talk, but if he's gone back to his former coach to train, he must be pretty serious. The question I have is why wait so long to return? I would think he would have wanted to test the waters a little bit this season to see how he compared to the other men.

queen ale
03-20-2009, 02:24 AM
I also read something linked to this notice...
I don't remember where, but I read that he wonts return to competitions with an extraordinary skating program... so he tooks away himself from competition, before next Olympic Games, for surprising his fans...
If it is true I don't know...but I will be very happy for his come back! :D

looplover
03-20-2009, 05:38 AM
Yay! my favorite footwork ever!

sk8ergalgal
03-20-2009, 08:11 AM
I think that he had his turn in the skating world dominating from 03-06 but he needs to let other people have a chance. He might have also been pressured by the Russian federation to come back since they dont have any real contenders coming into this world championship. Russia has not won a world medal since he left I dont think.. I think his time has passed and wont believe this till I see him compete. :giveup:

looplover
03-20-2009, 02:43 PM
I dunno - I think that since this is sports, he should live his dream out and come back and if he's still good enough to beat those younger guys - all the best! If he can still dominate under the current rules - then he deserves to dominate. The others can rise to the challenge, or lose to him fairly - it's up to them.

I think that he had his turn in the skating world dominating from 03-06 but he needs to let other people have a chance. He might have also been pressured by the Russian federation to come back since they dont have any real contenders coming into this world championship. Russia has not won a world medal since he left I dont think.. I think his time has passed and wont believe this till I see him compete. :giveup:

mdvask8r
03-20-2009, 04:27 PM
. . . If he can still dominate under the current rules - then he deserves to dominate. The others can rise to the challenge, or lose to him fairly - it's up to them.
Could not agree more!
I just hope when he returns he will leave the flailing arms in retirement :!:

Nicki
03-21-2009, 12:37 AM
I dunno - I think that since this is sports, he should live his dream out and come back and if he's still good enough to beat those younger guys - all the best! If he can still dominate under the current rules - then he deserves to dominate. The others can rise to the challenge, or lose to him fairly - it's up to them.

I agree with all of this. I just hope that he is returning because he misses compettition, and not because of pressure from his federation.