View Full Version : Scott Hamilton Announces Return to Ice Skating

Isk8NYC
03-18-2009, 03:32 PM
It's not April 1st, so I think this is legit, although details are few:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Scott-Hamilton-Announces-prnews-14678429.html

Press Release Source: Scott Hamilton

Scott Hamilton Announces Return to Ice Skating

Wednesday March 18, 2009, 12:39 pm EDT
NASHVILLE, Tenn., March 18 /PRNewswire/ -- Scott Hamilton - the most recognized male figure skating star in the world - today announced his return to the rink, after having not performed on ice skates since being diagnosed with a benign pituitary brain tumor in 2004. At age 50, the survivor of testicular cancer and the brain tumor, is proving that a positive attitude towards life and the desire to overcome adversities are at the core of this life-long champion.

It has been 25 years since Hamilton captured the attention of the world with his Olympic Gold medal performance in Sarajevo. Since then Hamilton has shared his love and enthusiasm for ice skating as a commentator, performer and best-selling author. He further inspires others as a speaker, philanthropist and father to sons Aidan (5) and Maxx (1). Most recently, Hamilton released his inspirational book "The Great Eight" and was part of "The Celebrity Apprentice," on NBC. Since being "fired" from Trump, Hamilton has been making the talk show rounds, including "Today," "Mike & Juliet" and ending with his "Oprah" appearance yesterday. Next week he will be in Los Angeles, commentating on the World Figure Skating Championships on Oxygen and NBC.

During his career, Hamilton's ice skating achievements included 5th place in the 1980 Olympics, World Champion (1981-1984), individual Gold at Skate America (1981), Male Athlete of the Year (1981), Olympic Spirit Award (1984), the Jacques Favart Award as the first solo male figure skater recipient (1988), induction into the United States Olympic Hall of Fame (1990) and privileged member of the World Figure Skating Hall of Fame (1990). In 1997, Hamilton became the first figure skater ever to be inducted into the Madison Square Garden Walk of Fame.

Hamilton is the official spokesperson for Target House at St. Jude Children's Hospital, as well as his own Scott Hamilton C.A.R.E.S. Initiative (Cancer Alliance for Research, Education and Survivorship) at the Cleveland Clinic Taussig Center in Cleveland, Ohio and its web site Chemocare.com (in conjunction with the Cleveland Clinic and CARES).

Additionally he serves on the Board of Directors for Special Olympics.
Details of his return to the ice will be announced at a later time.

Go Scott Go!

AgnesNitt
03-18-2009, 09:15 PM
You know, first Elvis Stojko, now Scott Hamilton. I wonder if all the retired skaters lost money in their investments and now have to go back to skating to make a living.

Nicki
03-18-2009, 11:01 PM
It will be interesting to hear where he will be skating. There aren't that many opportunities for skaters to perfrom anymore. In any case, I'm glad to hear that he's healthy, and has so much going on in his life.

Isk8NYC
03-19-2009, 03:32 AM
I assumed that he would be appearing in Stars on Ice since he's a part-owner. All the skating tours are struggling, so that could be his financial motivation - make money for himself, boost the show.

I'd buy tickets to see him skate again.

renatele
03-19-2009, 07:41 AM
I'd buy tickets to see him skate again.

Ooh, I'd buy tickets to see him skate live for the first time in my life :)

icedancer2
03-19-2009, 10:49 AM
It would be great if Scott came back to SOI (or whatever it will morph into) even if he doesn't skate that much - his enthusiasm is infectious to the audience and to the other skaters - making for a much more fun show!

Staying tuned...

jazzpants
03-19-2009, 01:29 PM
Guess he couldn't hack it on the Trump boardroom huh? :P :lol:

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/scott-hamilton-gets-eliminated-from-nbc-the-celebrity-apprentice-8575.php

(I'm just teasing! I LOVE Scott and his skating!!! I grew up watching him skate as a teenager and would LOVE nothing more than to watch him skate again!!! He's a GREAT skater and performer!!! :bow: )

Artemis
03-19-2009, 04:24 PM
Scott is one of those skaters who doesn't ever have to include any jumps in his programs to still be hugely entertaining. So I see no reason he couldn't come back to skating if he wants to. Bring it on!

Isk8NYC
03-20-2009, 11:09 AM
I feel the same way about a lot of the skaters, Artemis.

I don't need a triple or a backflip and my stomach can certainly do without the "swing the girl around" pairs move. (I don't EVER want to see someone's head hit the ice.)

In Hamilton's case, I loved his humorous routines more than the serious ones.

Was he the person who did the "rookie skater" routine where he wobbled through swizzles like a group lesson student? That was like reading a first-hand account of a beginner's lesson. You just kept saying "That's totally right! Everyone does that!" and laughing hysterically at the honesty in the performance.

I really hope he pulls this off soon.

Isk8NYC
03-20-2009, 11:11 AM
Guess he couldn't hack it on the Trump boardroom huh?I think The Donald just couldn't deal with Scott's honest-injun hair situation, ROFLOL! :lol: Better to wear a rug like Trump!

looplover
03-20-2009, 02:45 PM
I think The Donald just couldn't deal with Scott's honest-injun hair situation, ROFLOL! :lol: Better to wear a rug like Trump!

LOL!

Go Scott!!