View Full Version : John Watts' Freedom Blades

Isk8NYC
03-13-2009, 01:25 PM
I always liked Michael Weiss and his skating. Which is why my BFF asked him to autograph a photo for my birthday a few years ago. (They cross paths as parents, so they know each other.)

My kids really love his "heel gliding." He uses special blades that are made in England by John Watts, they're called "Freedom" blades.

A while ago, someone said that the manufacturer had closed up shop.

I just received this article from the Stillwater Gazette (St. Paul, MN) about replica blades that Michael Weiss is now going to be using. They were made by Wilson/MK.

Not too much detail in the article, the focus was on the kids who got to meet them.

http://www.stillwatergazette.com/articles/2009/03/13/sports/sports440.txt

Virtualsk8r
03-24-2009, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the link! I, too was devastated with John Watts folded unexpectedly! Not only did they make the unusual Freedom blade, but a great dance blade as well. My favorite was the Evolution freeskate blade that had different left and right take-off picks, which you ordered based on whether you were a reverse jumper or regular jumper. I loved how these blades really did help lighter skaters improve their jumps.......I just figured out all the in's and out's of importing them for personal use without paying huge amounts of duty etc....So if anyone knows of a secret stock somewhere ...post a link!!!:)

Isk8NYC
03-24-2009, 09:18 AM
I wonder if John Wilson/MK/Reidell bought the designs and equipment from John Watts?

Where's Zac (from Riedell) when we need him? Have to send him a message to check in with us.