View Full Version : If would be neat if rinks had skating libraries

Query
02-15-2009, 04:47 PM
Skating books and instructional videos cost a lot. So do related exercise videos. So does music. So does watching icenetwork.com, or premium cable channels.

I wish I could find a library that had a reasonably complete collection. Some things could be bought, some might be donated

The library might also set up a computer computer where you could watch icenetwork.com (you can't share your password, but I don't think they ban watching as a group) and a TV set to premium cable channels carrying skating events.

It's too hard for unpaid skaters to organize. But it would be a neat rink service.

Of course, some people might virtually live at the rink. So the rink could rent rooms too. :P

FSWer
02-15-2009, 06:04 PM
Skating books and instructional videos cost a lot. So do related exercise videos. So does music. So does watching icenetwork.com, or premium cable channels.

I wish I could find a library that had a reasonably complete collection. Some things could be bought, some might be donated

The library might also set up a computer computer where you could watch icenetwork.com (you can't share your password, but I don't think they ban watching as a group) and a TV set to premium cable channels carrying skating events.

It's too hard for unpaid skaters to organize. But it would be a neat rink service.

Of course, some people might virtually live at the rink. So the rink could rent rooms too. :P

Are you saying something like a little Library for skaters to barrow books on Skating? Or like a store to buy books on Skating? Or both?

slusher
02-15-2009, 06:55 PM
Our arena has internet access for the offices, so we've been allowed a WiFi connection and look up stuff fairly often. The computer has to be locked up and I don't have a key to the room, because if it isn't nailed down, it walks away. There was a library of all the videos, manuals, you name it, and it's all gone.

Nice idea, but someone has to be in charge and keep everything on a leash.

FSWer
02-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Our arena has internet access for the offices, so we've been allowed a WiFi connection and look up stuff fairly often. The computer has to be locked up and I don't have a key to the room, because if it isn't nailed down, it walks away. There was a library of all the videos, manuals, you name it, and it's all gone.

Nice idea, but someone has to be in charge and keep everything on a leash.

You mean people walk off with the key? It's just like our Bottle Machine key at my store. People were walking off with it so we don't have it on a hook on the front end anymore. You had to keep it on a leash.

slusher
02-15-2009, 07:03 PM
Yes they do, and leave the room open.

Query
02-16-2009, 12:14 PM
Are you saying something like a little Library for skaters to barrow books on Skating? Or like a store to buy books on Skating? Or both?

I meant a reading/lending library.

There are already stores, especially on-line stores. No one stocks manuals from people like PSA, which doesn't seem to want them available to the general public.

:P If we put leashes on books and somehow (??) on videos, picture people and leashes all tangled up like a game of twister. Picture kids enjoying it. :twisted:

No rink could afford to have someone watch the books and videos.

Maybe encouraging pro shops to do this is the only way to do it. Some would rather sell stuff themselves.

A kayak shop (http://www.potomacpaddlesports.com/kayak-kayaking-gear-online-store-stores-shops-dealers-kayaks-for-sale/in-near-md-dc-va-pa.aspx?lnav=about) in Maryland has an in-store reading library of books (including out of print) and maps for paddling. It gets people into the store, which helps sales.

A kayak club (http://cpakayaker.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=15&sid=2087971a024344eab461e03d48744977) in Maryland has a library of it's own.

USFSA skating clubs are so expensive to join, they aren't worth it unless you need to skate their sessions, or need to compete through them, so this kind of economizing thing doesn't apply.

ISI clubs are usually rink-run and cheap, and it might be an inducement rinks could offer to get people to join. But how to solve that leash thing? Security systems are too expensive.

FSWer
02-16-2009, 04:36 PM
I meant a reading/lending library.

There are already stores, especially on-line stores. No one stocks manuals from people like PSA, which doesn't seem to want them available to the general public.

:P If we put leashes on books and somehow (??) on videos, picture people and leashes all tangled up like a game of twister. Picture kids enjoying it. :twisted:

No rink could afford to have someone watch the books and videos.

Maybe encouraging pro shops to do this is the only way to do it. Some would rather sell stuff themselves.

A kayak shop (http://www.potomacpaddlesports.com/kayak-kayaking-gear-online-store-stores-shops-dealers-kayaks-for-sale/in-near-md-dc-va-pa.aspx?lnav=about) in Maryland has an in-store reading library of books (including out of print) and maps for paddling. It gets people into the store, which helps sales.

A kayak club (http://cpakayaker.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=15&sid=2087971a024344eab461e03d48744977) in Maryland has a library of it's own.

USFSA skating clubs are so expensive to join, they aren't worth it unless you need to skate their sessions, or need to compete through them, so this kind of economizing thing doesn't apply.

ISI clubs are usually rink-run and cheap, and it might be an inducement rinks could offer to get people to join. But how to solve that leash thing? Security systems are too expensive.

Oh,a place just to sit and read Skating Books?

Clarice
02-16-2009, 05:56 PM
I have a lot of skating books, videos, old Skating Magazines, etc. I've often wished I could house them at the rink so the kids could borrow them. I can't think of a way to do it yet, though, that would guarantee we'd get the materials back. I suppose I could donate stuff to my public library - then it would be available to anyone on inter-library loan.

Query
02-17-2009, 01:50 PM
I suppose I could donate stuff to my public library - then it would be available to anyone on inter-library loan.

A wonderful idea. But most public libraries throw anything away that hasn't been borrowed in 6 - 24 months (depending on the library), or which shows significant wear. They sell some items through library book sales, but most stuff gets tossed. So your wonderful books would soon disappear.