View Full Version : US Pairs LP *SPOILERS*

sk8ryellow
01-25-2009, 12:38 PM
SPOILERS
In my opinion the other pairs team that placed first in the short were way better than Keaunna and Rockne. The other pair delivered a spectacular performance in the short AND long program. I think they deserved first. I really believe that Keaunna and Rockne were favored. Anyone else think so too?

TreSk8sAZ
01-25-2009, 12:50 PM
No, I actually think the results were correct. Yes Denney and Barrett had a clean long program. However, being "clean" and landing jumps isn't the only aspect to the score.

As far as the technical score, Denny and Barrett (59.85) did beat Keauna and Rockne (59.16 plus a 1 pt deduction). D/B were awarded full points, while the errors were noted M/B's score. They were only something like .39 apart after the short, a rather easy margin to overcome.

However, the difference was in the second mark. M/B had a much more difficult and interesting program in between elements and they were properly rewarded for it. D/B had a lot of crossovers in between elements and really not much else. The expression that M/B put into their program as far as musicality, connection between the two of them, and other aspects were far and away above D/B who haven't been together long enough to develop that type of connection.

I do have to say, though, Keauna and Rockne better watch their backs! Once D/B have been skating together more than a few months, this is going to be a team to watch!

sk8ergalgal
01-25-2009, 01:25 PM
M/B deserved their win. Yes they did not skate clean but they had the better performance quality and their long program was more difficult. They also had much more speed and power. I am pleased with the results.

Isk8NYC
01-25-2009, 01:35 PM
Of course they earned first place. They have well-executed, difficult maneuvers.

The scoring system is geared towards that and their programs were geared to garner the highest points.

TreSk8sAZ
01-25-2009, 05:54 PM
World Team:

Keauna McLaughlin & Rockne Brubaker
Caydee Denney & Jeremy Barrett

1st Alternate: Rena Inoue & John Baldwin

(They announced it during the men's long, I think I remember it correctly)

MQSeries
01-25-2009, 07:19 PM
Does anyone think that Keanna oversold the routine? I though she was somewhat OTT with her facial expression. I also think she was dressed and made up to look more like a Laker Girls cheerleader than a 16 years old elite level athlete.

D/B: I agree that their non trick moves were not up to par with B/K. Watch Barret during the SLF; He did his 3 turns with completely stiff skating knee, like when a beginner first learn how to do 3 turns.

I/B: John and his non-existent 3t. Sigh. It must be so frustrating for Rene.

Isk8NYC
01-25-2009, 07:27 PM
On FSU they say she fakes an org*** after every successful lift and throw, lol. There's a famous skating book called "Choreography & Style for Figure Skaters" that encourages skaters to say "Wheee!" after every jump landing, to make the skater smile and look like they're enjoying themselves, which makes the judges/audience enjoy the performance. Whenever I watch her skate, I think about that book.

So, YES I think she overacts, lol.

sk8ryellow
01-25-2009, 08:38 PM
I think Rockne deserves a better partner!

looplover
01-25-2009, 09:22 PM
Yay Jeremy Barrett! I didn't see the winning team.

I remember him from his rink, I used to practice there a lot. He really does have a bunch of jobs around the rink....either he or Mark Ladwig actually heat molded my skates for me (I think it was Mark Ladwig) but at the time I just thought they were some hockey guys working a part time job, lol.

One of them sharpens skates, too.

I hope the success of the pairs teams means that rink is safe and will not be turned into something else!

Mel On Ice
01-26-2009, 02:07 PM
Fascinating to see the IJS system work. I had D&B winning until they got to the footwork, then I said "uh oh, they could lose a lot of points right here." Live, it was slow, labored, and simple.

Mc&B had speed, were intricate, and while flawed, had more polish and sophistication. Oh, the speed! And to defend the dress, it was gorgeous in person.

You want to see a few teams with potential, I hope you can see Evora & Ladwig and Lepenzki & Burgess on IceNetwork.

Petlover
01-26-2009, 03:27 PM
I am soooo happy for Jeremy and Caydee!!!!! Jeremy is one of the nicest people I have ever met, and Caydee is a gorgeous skater.

And let's hear it for the Southwest Florida Figure Skating Club Pairs Results!!! When I was competing at the Ellenton rink last September, Lyndon Johnston told my coach that he had pairs who would finish top two in Novice, Junior, and Senior, and he wasn't kidding!

So Kudos to Denney/Raad silver in Novice pairs, Tanovich/Chau gold in Junior, and Denney/Barrett SILVER in Senior Pairs and going to Worlds:bow::bow:

Also, great results from Junior Nationals for Chinault/Chinault and Weaver/Walsh.

looplover
01-26-2009, 04:13 PM
I am soooo happy for Jeremy and Caydee!!!!! Jeremy is one of the nicest people I have ever met, and Caydee is a gorgeous skater.

And let's hear it for the Southwest Florida Figure Skating Club Pairs Results!!! When I was competing at the Ellenton rink last September, Lyndon Johnston told my coach that he had pairs who would finish top two in Novice, Junior, and Senior, and he wasn't kidding!

So Kudos to Denney/Raad silver in Novice pairs, Tanovich/Chau gold in Junior, and Denney/Barrett SILVER in Senior Pairs and going to Worlds:bow::bow:

Also, great results from Junior Nationals for Chinault/Chinault and Weaver/Walsh.

Wow! Ok that rink better not become a bowling alley!

herniated
01-27-2009, 06:25 AM
I didn't like KM's dress for the LP either. Or her makeup. Makeup was/is too much for her age and the dress, at least on TV.. I don't think it does anything for her.(Facial expressions OTT too, but it's better than no expression) I didn't see thier SP but I saw pics. And her makeup was over the top for that one. Too mature/show girl. Uggh. She's a beautiful young girl as it is..back off the makeup. But I do enjoy thier skating.