View Full Version : Nationals

AgnesNitt
01-19-2009, 06:22 PM
Women's singles--is anyone left who can win and be old enough for Worlds? ;)
Pairs? Don't follow
Ice Dance? I feel really bad in that I only have followed the europeans for the last few years, so who's below Belbin and Agosta, I don't track.

Men's singles--it's going to be a hot hot contest. Love it when it gets interesting. I think Lysacek's injury is more serious than he's let on. He's been off his game. Weir keeps trying for the quad--I wish he'd do a Buttle and just skate excellently--but apparently his family has money troubles and he's the sole breadwinner--that's gotta be pressuring him. Abbot is looking good, healthy, skilled. There's a couple of youngsters baying at the heels of the old guys. It's going to be a bloodbath out there.
Let the games begin!

sk8ergalgal
01-19-2009, 10:01 PM
Can Rachel Flatt go to worlds this year? Cause she has been doing well this season with a 2nd on the grand prix circuit. Also Alissa Cziny got 3rd at Skate Canada this year.

Pairs is definitely either McLaughlin and Brubaker or Inoe and Baldwin.

Dance I would have to say Meryl Davis and Charlie White for sure.

Men could be anyone.

montanarose
01-19-2009, 10:30 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Czisny has pulled out of the competition, sad to say.

EDITED: A big "oooops!" here, with lots of apologies . . . it was Kimmie Meissner who withdrew :oops:

littlekateskate
01-20-2009, 06:09 AM
I think in Pairs the new team of Denney/Barret actually have a great chance. They have gotten really good these past few months together. I think they will be top three!

And I also think that M/B better watch out because with those two together another year I think they will be a good fight on the podium and ready for the Olympics!

As for Single Ladies.. I would love to see Czisny or Flatt on top!

Mens.. I am always rooting for Evan!!

MQSeries
01-20-2009, 12:34 PM
Ladies
------
Flatt has to be the favorite among the ladies since she seems to be the most consistent this year. Even if Czisney skates well enough to finish in the top two I wouldn't have the cofidence to send her to Worlds.

Kimmie and Emily - I think their careers are over. They've accomplished a lot in skating and should be proud of those achievements.

Men
----
Abbott has the momentum, but can he put together back-to-back great performances at competition? I'm going to give the slight edge to Evan but wouldn't be suprised if Abbott wins the thing.

Dance
------
Charlie White and partner - the gold is theirs.

Pairs
-----
B/K should win.

AgnesNitt
01-20-2009, 06:32 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/skating/ has a nice video of Parker Pennington training with Carol Heiss Jenkins.

Artemis
01-21-2009, 11:32 AM
I assume you mean US Nationals. There are other countries you know. (Ok, end of scolding.)

The men's competition will be very interesting indeed. This is the first time I can remember that the men's field had greater depth than the women's, and that the American men are in a better position to reach the podium at worlds than the American women.

Davis and White are an almost cert for dance, although I was looking forward to seeing them battle it out with Belbin and Agosto.

Petlover
01-22-2009, 02:21 PM
I agree with LittleKateSkate about Denney and Barrett, Jeremy Barrett is one of my all time favorites and Caydee is a gorgeous skater. They seem to have a great connection and rapport between them. They came in 4th at Nebelhorn against very good competition, and have the potential to be top 3 this year and champions next year.

Schmeck
01-22-2009, 06:39 PM
Men - while Carriere doesn't have a quad, he does have some high scoring elements, and I wouldn't count him out. Others may have to falter, though.

Ladies - supposedly Zhang has been trying to clean up the lutz and flip entries. If that's true, she has a nice chance. Flatt is powerful, but the skating doesn't seem to shine - maybe the shoulders will relax a bit with her past success? Liang might be a long shot, but I'd love to se her win, after all these years!

MQSeries
01-22-2009, 08:11 PM
I agree with LittleKateSkate about Denney and Barrett, Jeremy Barrett is one of my all time favorites and Caydee is a gorgeous skater. They seem to have a great connection and rapport between them. They came in 4th at Nebelhorn against very good competition, and have the potential to be top 3 this year and champions next year.

It's looking great for them so far after the SP :) Hopefully they can keep it up. Can't wait to see them on TV on Saturday.

Schmeck
01-23-2009, 05:21 AM
Well, Zhang didn't clean up the wonky wiggly flip entry, sigh...