View Full Version : USA 2002

Scott
05-03-2002, 07:52 AM
[color=blue:d90a046cc4][/color:d90a046cc4][i:d90a046cc4]Any thoughts concerning the upcomimg 2002 USA competitive season? There are some retirements that could have an impact in Mens and Pairs competitions. Not sure whether or not Langand T will continue in dance. Ladies will have pretty muuch the same contenders.

Men: who if anyone can challenge Tim G? One to watch is probably Johhny Weir. What is going on with Parker Pennington? Will he be on the scene?

Pairs: Pretty weak. USA needs a changing of the guard. I doubt Scott and Dulebohn will step up to the gold. Who can challenge?

Dance: interesting! Silverstein is back with a strong partner ( Forsyth) and there are two other interesting new pairings to watch. could be very interesting indeed! ( which two am I refering to?). :D [/i:d90a046cc4]

Rachael
05-03-2002, 08:58 AM
Men: I think Tim is the only current USA man who can consisently do a quad. I think Savoie and Weiss(if he doesn't go pro this year) will fill in the 2nd and 3rd spot but I would love to see Parker Pennington sneak in there.

Ladies: If Kwan stays, she, Sarah, and Sasha will most likely be lock-ins. If Michelle goes pro and sits out this year, I think we'll see a new commer come up to the plate.

Cerulean
05-25-2002, 02:12 PM
I think that the U.S. Jr. Ladies will be absolutely awesome, on the JGP circuit, their toughest competition will be the Japanese, and the Canadian will do surprisingly well..... The Russsians seem to be losing ground... Sarah and Sasha should be on top of the itnernational scene.

Hopefully Matt Savoie will do well internationally. He's got a lot of potential. Jr. men will be good, part. Lysacek, LaRoche and Rogers.

Pairs will have okay results internationnally, the Jrs will do well of course. If Kyoko and John stay maybe they can have a breakthrough.

Dance will be Dance....

Show 42
05-25-2002, 11:30 PM
I pretty much agree with everyone's thoughts. I hope the Steiglers can step it up a notch and be contenders this year.

IdmaIjan
05-26-2002, 06:02 PM
Scott, I'd have to say you are refering to Melissa Gregory and her husband (and my apologies to him...I can't remember his name...Denis something..Petuchov?...something like that) and Emilie Nusseaur (sp?) and Mat Gates.

What's going on with Lia Niatake? I heard she had an injury and her partner left her for someone else. Is that true?

Have Jamie and Brandon started training yet? If so where?

sk8lvr
05-26-2002, 08:33 PM
The Sr ladies are terrific!! There are so many that could make a big international impact. I hope Jenny Kirk and AP McDonough do well (in addition to MK of course).

In pairs- Do we know what I/Z are doing yet? We really could use them at Worlds to help keep our spots. Can you believe we have 3 this year??
I want S/D to crank it up a notch. And I hope Kalesavich and Parchem get those jumps down. How amazing they would be if they could get more technical difficulty.

I'm not even touching dance or men's.

sk8lvr
05-26-2002, 08:35 PM
<<Where are Jamie and Brandon training?<<

I read so many rumors on FSW, but didn't it finally come out that they will be in Detroit with Igor??

Tarafanatic4eva
05-26-2002, 08:49 PM
I think for men the only hope we have right now is Tim. I am sure there are skaters that are up and coming, but I really don't see much competition.

as for ladies, i woudl love to see Jenny and AP make a good showing!!

Trillian
05-26-2002, 09:41 PM
[quote:09542bd8b5="sk8lvr"]<<Where are Jamie and Brandon training?<<

I read so many rumors on FSW, but didn't it finally come out that they will be in Detroit with Igor??[/quote:09542bd8b5]

Yes, that's definitely correct. I'm not sure if Brandon has relocated yet or not, though.

Cerulean
05-27-2002, 10:15 AM
For the Person who asked about Parker Pennington, he just won the Gardena Sprrings trophy in Italy. It is a prestigious Jr. Spring international, so it is a very good win. He will probably be on the Jr. Grand Prix circuit next Season, or possibly a Sr. 'B' international.

MisterCA
05-27-2002, 07:26 PM
Scott says "Dance: interesting! Silverstein is back with a strong partner (Forsyth) and there are two other interesting new pairings to watch. could be very interesting indeed! (which two am I refering to?). :D "

You must mean Brandon's former partner Emilie, with her new partner Mat Gates as well as Jamie's former partner Justin, with his new partner Hiliary Gibbons.

Dance is going to be exciting to watch this upcoming season!

IgglesII
05-28-2002, 08:18 AM
[quote:03d61afcb0="Scott"][color=blue:03d61afcb0][/color:03d61afcb0][i:03d61afcb0]
Pairs: Pretty weak. USA needs a changing of the guard. I doubt Scott and Dulebohn will step up to the gold. Who can challenge?

[/i:03d61afcb0][/quote:03d61afcb0]

There are several teams, I would say, ready to take over. I would disagree about Scott and Dulebohn - if they're staying in, the USFSA will probably annoint them champions unless someone clearly and definitively proves otherwise.

Realistic challengers - Inoue/Baldwin, Kalesevich/Parchem, Orscher/Lucash, Roth/McPherson (should be healthy now).

Perennial "are they or aren't they" challengers - Tiffany and Johnny.

And frankly, considering the retirements of the teams ahead of them, I think Kyoko & John should go for it one more year. Take their best, most realistic crack at the World Gold ever.

Scott
05-29-2002, 07:26 AM
I have to agree with IgglesII that Ina/Zimmerman should stay in for another year. I really wonder whether they have it in them to go for the gold at Worlds. Pairs for the USA without this team will be unsettled for sure. I really doubt that there is any team that could step up this year. S/D will be severly tested this year and may fall two or three places to less experienced teams. I understand that Kalesevich/Parchem are sort of next in line but I don't see them going much higher (could topple S/D from 2nd!) than they have already acheived ( which is impressive, wish i could do that!). Orscher/Lucash could be considered but they are fairly raw. Their lifts, as I remember were fairly basic, but they can jump and seem to have a sense of unison. Still, they are not stellar standouts ( but it is impressive that they placed 5th at US Nats after being together one year) and could possibly step into 3rd place in Dallas this year. The Steiglers? Their day came and went. What about Speilberg/Joelright? Overall, I stand by my comment: Pairs: Pretty weak. I really doubt any of these teams will be able to compete successfuly in international competitions this year. Except for Inna/Zimmerman it is going to be a rout. Any thoughts on what we can expect from Canada this year now that S/P are gone?

Mockingbird
05-31-2002, 09:41 PM
[quote:80bcd964d1="Scott"][color=blue:80bcd964d1][/color:80bcd964d1][i:80bcd964d1]Any thoughts concerning the upcomimg 2002 USA competitive season? Not sure whether or not Langand T will continue in dance.[/i:80bcd964d1][/quote:80bcd964d1]

Lang & Tchernyshev have specifically stated many times that they intend to remain Olympic-eligible through 2006. :)