View Full Version : Kwan in Vancouver????

Skittl1321
08-20-2008, 11:57 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26311209/

You've got to be kidding me? I think this is even less likely to succeed than a Sasha come back. The system has changed so much, I don't see either Kwan or Cohen having a chance against the girls who will be there in 2012.

But it would be a great chance for all who get to go to regionals to watch her skate :) without paying stars on ice prices.

Isk8NYC
08-20-2008, 12:56 PM
What a lot of training that will take. I'd like to see Kwan get an Olympic gold, though. ;)

AshBugg44
08-20-2008, 05:31 PM
I really think she (and Sasha too) would have a really hard time qualifying. I don't foresee either being able to make the Nationals podium.

Alexa
08-21-2008, 02:41 PM
I think it is great if she wants to try again, but I think competing in a sport like skating is different than swimming. The requirements/skills needed change so much in skating--much harder to keep up with after being out of the sport for so long.

Whereas swimming is something that I think is more of a matter of just redeveloping your strength/stamina/speed in a sport that is relatively unchanged (other than the world records getting better and better).

Will definitely be interesting to see how Sasha and Michelle do if they reenter the sport.

Isk8NYC
08-21-2008, 02:49 PM
My BFF and I were competitive swimmers and we were just discussing how the techniques and the suits have changed so much in just the last four years.

I think that, like skating, some of the changes are not noticed by fans, but the athletes know the hurdles and learning curves.

I hope Kwan goes for it and does it the right way, ready, willing, and able.
I'd like to see her have a perfect skate that nets her that elusive medal.

As much as I like Sylvia Fontana, I felt she was destined to be an "also ran" in Torino. I wouldn't want Kwan (or Cohen for that matter) to be in that situation - I want a real contender, not a last-gasp chancetaker.

Debbie S
08-21-2008, 03:54 PM
As much as I like Sylvia Fontana, I felt she was destined to be an "also ran" in Torino. And I imagine Silvia knew that, too. I'm sure she had other reasons for wanting to compete in a home-country Olys than winning a medal. ;)

I got a kick out of watching Robin Wagner doing the same turn-around-and-take-in-the-applause thing with Silvia in '06 as she did with Sarah Hughes in '02. Not exactly the same dream-come-true experience, but still a memorable moment for Silvia. Of course, if the depth of talent in women's figure skating was the same in Italy as it is in the U.S., Silvia would never have made the Oly team. Unfortunately, I think it would be very difficult for Michelle or Sasha to make the Oly team given the level of comp right now, and I'm a big fan of both of them.