View Full Version : Want to see Sasha land a quad?

Dustin
04-28-2002, 05:23 PM
Just in case some of you have not seen it, I made this for my Sasha website and thought it couldn't hurt to post it :) Please remember this is in slow motion - looks much better when it is fast.

[img:78efd5a61f]http://sashacohen.skatingonice.com/animations/2001skateamerica-pracquad.gif[/img:78efd5a61f]

If that doesnt work:
http://sashacohen.skatingonice.com/animations/2001skateamerica-pracquad.gif

By far the best position in a quad - men or ladies - I have ever seen.

Show 42
04-28-2002, 07:30 PM
That's incredible, Dustin. I can't believe how straight in the air she is.

Lucky
04-28-2002, 07:51 PM
That was indeed very nice! She is a very good skater. Thanks. :)

adrianchew
04-28-2002, 11:12 PM
Already seen it - but I couldn't help re-watching it again! ;)

ILoveAllSkaters
04-29-2002, 06:17 AM
Love it!

loveskating
04-29-2002, 12:46 PM
I saw it before too...but noticed this time how high up in the air she got. Lord, that girl has natural spring...cuz on my video of her quad, she does not have more than the usual speed into the jump.

Sera
05-26-2002, 04:21 AM
I hope she'll show that in a competition soon! :D

melanieuk
05-26-2002, 08:50 AM
I'm assuming no trick photography was involved here - and only a look at the tracing would tell how much, if any, was cheated. :wink:
Lovely position in the air - it almost looked like it was a bit over rotated which is why she looks (to me) like she was trying really hard to hold that landing - she was very forward on the landing.
There's no doubt she is a very talented, young skater with loads of potential. :)

Smiley
05-26-2002, 09:18 AM
:lol: Wel that is amazing!! I saw it on TV at Skate America, they showed a clip of her practice when she landed it!! But it is amazingly straight in the air and very high!!

Tarafanatic4eva
05-26-2002, 09:00 PM
WOW!! That is great!! Thank you! I did see her do it in a diff practice, but never that! very nice!

Cerulean
05-27-2002, 10:10 AM
I think that if she can get her consistency down absolutely nothing will stop her (except politiks). She is phenomenol.

IceAngel725
05-27-2002, 01:45 PM
wow! thanks for posting it!

Shae & Vic Forever
05-27-2002, 02:50 PM
Kind of scary seeing a girl do the quad, what next boys doing bielmans? oops already happening my bad. :oops:

Patrick Brunk
05-27-2002, 07:52 PM

lrng to skt
05-27-2002, 10:19 PM
Ahhhhh, thank you - that does my heart good.

I'm so afraid to start getting my hopes up too much - but she's definitely my favorite of the women right now.

I do not think Hernando's Hideaway :( does much to showcase her though, so I'm hoping for new programs soon...g

IgglesII
05-28-2002, 08:06 AM
I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but...I really, really hope she takes her back and her landing hip into consideration when working on quads. It would suck if she hurt herself practicing that when she's capable of beating anyone with the triples and combos she already has.

nits
05-30-2002, 09:49 PM
Finally got to see Sasha land that quad we've heard so much about. I agree that Sasha has tons of potential, however. Sasha is very inconsistent, and needs to work on her triples, as well as a 3/3. I don't think "politiks" are an issue for Sasha. The judges put her in 2nd place at US Nationals, ahead of the very accomplished Sarah Hughes, and also in 3rd place after the SP of the Olympics...ahead of Maria, Sarah, and Fumie..all established skaters. I think Sasha will do just fine once she trains harder.

loveskating
05-31-2002, 01:21 PM
I don't agree that Sasha is "very inconsistent". She hasn't been able to skate clean every time when she could have won if she did so...but she is fairly consistent now...basically since she came back from her injury, she has been consistent, except for once, and that was when she went for the quad...and she also gathered herself together in that instance and has known how to do that ever since.

For instance, if Michelle had made the mistake at Nationals that she made at the Olympics, Sasha would have won Nationals 2002....which is by way of saying that often whether one wins or not depends on how OTHERS skate too. Gold or other medals do not always mean that a person skated clean...all they sometimes mean is that the person skated better ...consider Kwan at 1998 Worlds, 1999 U.S. Nationals, 2000 U.S. Nationals...where she fell or waxed and still won gold...leaving out bad landings, two foots, all sorts of other types of falls and mistakes (flying sitspin at Skate America in the LP in 1998, won gold) etc. etc.

When Sasha has been at it as long as some others, one can come to some conclusions about her "consistency" overall.

nits
05-31-2002, 05:07 PM
From what I have seen of Sasha Cohen to date, she is very inconsistent.
In reading loveskating's post, I found many "what ifs." Well, IF Sasha had skated at the Olympics the way she skated at Skate America, she wouldn't have done too well. And IF Michelle had skated the way she did at Nationals at the Olympics, she would've won the gold. Too many what if's in there, and there's no way to go and change how they've skated. (both Michelle and Sasha)

Patrick Brunk
05-31-2002, 05:13 PM

Badams
05-31-2002, 05:27 PM
i agree also nits. i think sasha is an EXCELLENT skater though. i really look forward to a good rivalry between kwan, hughes, and cohen. :D i think that when there's a good rivalry...it's when the best skating comes out. i have never before seen sasha do the quad...she lookd AWESOME doing it. 8O :D

Dustin
05-31-2002, 06:53 PM
When judging how "inconsistent" Sasha is, you must remember that this is her first year coming off a MAJOR injury. She has a relatively small amount of international experience compared to Michelle, Sarah, Irina and many other skaters who have been on the scene for 4+ years.

Sasha has also grown in the past year. If this happened during her few-month break, it could cause her consistency to suffer severly. The consistency could take a very long time to get back - I am saying this from experience - especially when she is competing almost every few weeks during the season and constantly preparing for the next competition. The true test will come next year.