View Full Version : Do Synchronized Skating Teams belong to a Skating Club?

FSWer
05-17-2008, 08:53 PM
Say,does anyone know the answer to this? Do Synchronized Skating Teams when together belong to an actual Skating Club like Freestyle Skaters? Or if not,what happens? Thanks.

Schmeck
05-18-2008, 05:29 AM
Yes and No...

Most teams belong to a club, some belong to a college, and others represent themselves (individual team). If you look at the results from USFSA synchro competitions, it usually lists what club/college a team represents.

Skittl1321
05-18-2008, 06:11 AM
I've also read information at various clubs where the synchro teams represent the clubs but the individuals aren't full members. So say they pay half the amount of dues and carry the club name but don't have club ice privelages (just synchro ice) unless the individual joined as a "full" member and not just a "synchro" member.

Our synchro team- which is an adult ISI team- actually formed our own club, because it was less expensive then paying dues to belong to the nearest ISI club. So the 12 of us are the only members.

FSWer
05-18-2008, 07:31 PM
Yes and No...

Most teams belong to a club, some belong to a college, and others represent themselves (individual team). If you look at the results from USFSA synchro competitions, it usually lists what club/college a team represents.

Do we know the name of a club or U. a Team might belong to? BTW. does anyone happen to know if you can find the cities a paticalar Team will be coming to on-line?

CanAmSk8ter
05-18-2008, 08:09 PM
Go to the team's website. It will probably say somewhere which club or university the team represents, and what competitions and shows they have coming up.

FSWer
05-19-2008, 08:56 PM
How do they determine what Club a Team represents?

CanAmSk8ter
05-20-2008, 06:47 AM
Depends. On my team, and I think a lot of teams, that kind of decision would have been up to the coaches. I've heard some teams have a "board", kind of like a club would, with a secretary, president, treasurer, etc. who are parents of skaters. In that case the board might decide, although the coaches probably have input/veto power.

FSWer
05-20-2008, 06:59 PM
Depends. On my team, and I think a lot of teams, that kind of decision would have been up to the coaches. I've heard some teams have a "board", kind of like a club would, with a secretary, president, treasurer, etc. who are parents of skaters. In that case the board might decide, although the coaches probably have input/veto power.

How do they decide it?

Clarice
05-21-2008, 08:02 AM
It would probably be based on how much it costs to join the club, and how much ice would cost. If a team could choose between different clubs, they would most likely go with the one that would be less expensive for them.

blue111moon
05-21-2008, 09:04 AM
How do they determine what Club a Team represents?

Most places, it's where the team gets ice to practice on.

FSWer
05-21-2008, 06:49 PM
It would probably be based on how much it costs to join the club, and how much ice would cost. If a team could choose between different clubs, they would most likely go with the one that would be less expensive for them.

If they could? Are you saying Teams don't have a say in it?

Skittl1321
05-21-2008, 09:35 PM
If they could? Are you saying Teams don't have a say in it?

Many places only have one rink and one club. So there is no choice. It's only in cities with multiple clubs where a team would be able to choose.

FSWer
05-21-2008, 09:47 PM
Many places only have one rink and one club. So there is no choice. It's only in cities with multiple clubs where a team would be able to choose.

Can you give an example?

Skittl1321
05-21-2008, 10:01 PM
Not with specific teams, but to the best of my knowledge, Austin Texas only has one USFSA figure skating club. A synchro team in Austin would likely represent this club. In the area of Boston, Massachusetts there are many USFSA clubs. So a synchro team could pick the club they wanted to represent- assuming the club would accept them. (They might already have a team, or not want to support a team, etc).

I don't think it's a decision made very often though. MOST synchro teams (lower level ones) are started by the clubs- not started independently then looking for a club- as a program for their skaters. I don't think there are many (any?) synchro teams out there looking for a club- a club makes the team.

It's not until they get to be higher level and well known that they might change clubs. (Didn't Team Elan just merge with another team? So those two teams, from different clubs, decided it would be in their best interest to form one team, probably due to the number of skaters in the area, and they had to choose the club to represent.)

FSWer
05-21-2008, 10:15 PM
Not with specific teams, but to the best of my knowledge, Austin Texas only has one USFSA figure skating club. A synchro team in Austin would likely represent this club. In the area of Boston, Massachusetts there are many USFSA clubs. So a synchro team could pick the club they wanted to represent- assuming the club would accept them. (They might already have a team, or not want to support a team, etc).

I don't think it's a decision made very often though. MOST synchro teams (lower level ones) are started by the clubs- not started independently then looking for a club- as a program for their skaters. I don't think there are many (any?) synchro teams out there looking for a club- a club makes the team.

It's not until they get to be higher level and well known that they might change clubs. (Didn't Team Elan just merge with another team? So those two teams, from different clubs, decided it would be in their best interest to form one team, probably due to the number of skaters in the area, and they had to choose the club to represent.)

Why would a place want more then one club?

FlyAndCrash
05-21-2008, 11:05 PM
Why would a place want more then one club?

Many metropolitan (and not so urban) areas have more than one club. Often, there are just too many skaters to effectively belong to one club. In my area, there are about three or four clubs within easy driving distance. Also, different clubs cater to different types of skaters. Some want a really competative atmosphere while others are more recreational or "fun." There are big clubs and small clubs that would be better for different people depending on their needs. (I like smaller clubs because the ice tends to have fewer skaters on it...).

FSWer
05-22-2008, 01:37 PM
Many metropolitan (and not so urban) areas have more than one club. Often, there are just too many skaters to effectively belong to one club. In my area, there are about three or four clubs within easy driving distance. Also, different clubs cater to different types of skaters. Some want a really competative atmosphere while others are more recreational or "fun." There are big clubs and small clubs that would be better for different people depending on their needs. (I like smaller clubs because the ice tends to have fewer skaters on it...).

What clubs are in your area?