View Full Version : Sinead and John Kerr

sk8erel
03-23-2008, 07:50 AM
As they are the new Torvill and Dean of Great Britain, the brother and sister dance pair did very well at the World Championships, and I would like to congratulate them, as they skate their programs with cultural music and fluid to their moves. I loved the Original Dance, and the Free was different too, and it was a shame that she slightly fell!
I also saw the Men's Short and Long programs yesterday, but GB didn't qualify for the longs (Elliot Hilton). Congratulations for qualifying for the Worlds though!
COME ON GB AND CANADA!:giveup: ;) ;)

smelltheice
03-23-2008, 08:50 AM
The Brits are definitely making a comeback in the dance. All we need now is to develop the other disciplines but the government are more bothered about the summer sports and it seems it is the same for UK sport too but I think that is because of the impending 2012 olympics in London

sk8erel
03-23-2008, 09:31 AM
I totally agree, there are only 30 odd rinks in the country and there are no sufficient training facilities in the UK except the National Ice Centre. If you see the newest rinks like Cardiff, Manchester, and some of the others, it is no wonder that Britain never makes it big. When we went to watch the ice hockey game at Cardiff a couple of years ago, the rink didn't have a roof! Do you think that is acceptable? No, I don't! Sinead and John only made it to the Worlds because they now train in New Jersey!
If you see the popular demand from the TV show Dancing On Ice, it is sure to increase the population of the sport, and more facilities need to be built. In my iSkate magazine, there is a new skating training facility being built in Britain somewhere, apparently! :idea:

smelltheice
03-23-2008, 01:28 PM
The rink at Cardiff is only a temporary facility until a new permanent home can be built as part of a 3 billion pound complex. I live in North Lancs and I have to drive to Blackburn. To the north you have to go a hundred miles to scotland and to the east is Bradford and west, Ireland!!!! I do find it really strange that the 2 best rinks in the UK, Sheffield and Nottingham are built so close together

sk8erel
03-24-2008, 07:16 AM
I know, I don't find that as an advantage to every other skaters in the country that want to train in decent rinks like IceSheffield and the NIC, but maybe in the future there will be more rinks in the country!:?:

smelltheice
03-24-2008, 10:38 AM
I'm working on it as I type!!!

sk8erel
03-24-2008, 04:51 PM
I'm working on it as I type!!!

That's good then, our country might get recognised in this sport even more!
I wonder if the Kerrs permanently live in New Jersey to train, or do they just go over there regularly? They probably come home to Scotland in the low season!:idea:

4rkidz
03-24-2008, 09:35 PM
[QUOTE=sk8erel;359000]I totally agree, there are only 30 odd rinks in the country and there are no sufficient training facilities in the UK except the National Ice Centre.

Doesn't seem to affect your Great Britain Speed Skating Team? They are 3rd in the world and this year have gotten medals at most of the world cups including the women/junior girls? They all train in GB as well with British coaches..How can your country develop speedskating to a worldclass level but not the figure skating? What needs to happen to bring figure skating up to a world class level in GB? Congrats to the Kerrs - I think one of the best things in Figure skating to come out of GB - might be good timing for the winter olympics if they can keep improving..:P

Helen88
03-25-2008, 12:25 PM
[QUOTE=sk8erel;359000]How can your country develop speedskating to a worldclass level but not the figure skating? What needs to happen to bring figure skating up to a world class level in GB? Congrats to the Kerrs - I think one of the best things in Figure skating to come out of GB - might be good timing for the winter olympics if they can keep improving..:P

Not closing my rink would help :evil:

smelltheice
03-25-2008, 03:17 PM
Most of the top coaches do seem to go to the US as I guess there is more money there and a much wider pool of skaters to choose from. The major problem here is the distance that most people have to travel to train. Fuel cost here is the equivalent of $10 a gallon so it is costly just to drive to work and back!! Many people don't have any spare money as the government takes most of it in stealth taxes and this limits how much people can afford to spend on training

sk8erel
03-29-2008, 09:27 AM
Most of the top coaches do seem to go to the US as I guess there is more money there and a much wider pool of skaters to choose from. The major problem here is the distance that most people have to travel to train. Fuel cost here is the equivalent of $10 a gallon so it is costly just to drive to work and back!! Many people don't have any spare money as the government takes most of it in stealth taxes and this limits how much people can afford to spend on training

True, even though I am only 14 years old, my dad used to drive me to Nottingham every Sunday morning and now our other nearest rink is Solihull (every Saturday morning). If there is traffic on the roads, it takes forever. Apparently, the Birmingham skaters will be pleased, as planning permission is set to build a new rink near the Bullring shopping centre in the city. :roll: