View Full Version : CBC Broadcast of the World Championship

Bailey
03-21-2008, 01:18 PM
I posted this in another forum and then realized it would be more appropriate here. So, I'm posting agin - sorry for the double post.

I was wondering if I was the only person who is deeply unhappy with the broadcasts from the world championship on the main CBC network. I have been watching the coverage on Country Canada and that has been wonderful! But, I am extremely disappointed in CBC's decision to broadcast the event at midnight. Is anyone watching these broadcasts at midnight? I have tried to set my VCR the past three nights and I have been unsuccessful in my attempts to tape the broadcasts. Last night, I stayed up to start the tape and for some reason unknown to me, it stopped working an hour into the broadcast. I've sent an email to CBC asking that they rebroadcast these programs on Saturday afternoons as they have done in recent years - hoping that I may actually get to watch the skating and commentary. I do not understand why these broadcasts are not being shown in prime time - especially because this is the best performance by the Canadian team at a world championship in years and the CBC is building toward and heavily promoting the 2010 Olympic Games in Canada.

And, the fact that they didn't even send the commentators to the event. Disgraceful. It is just so wrong to watch Tracy Wilson and Kurt Browning sit in a studio in downtown Toronto and comment on an event that is happening in Sweeden.

Furthermore, I have to say that the actual footage from the event has been really bad. The camera men can't seem to keep the skaters in their lens. It's hard to imagine why I would want to see the woman's head during a pairs lift or see both skaters do their side by side jumps or throws, but I do! The visual quality and sound quality is poor. And, I'm getting so tired of seeing that stupid statue - if we could call it that - when the skaters receive their marks in the kiss and cry.

From a skating standpoint - outstanding event! From a broadcast standpoint -leaves a lot to be desired. Definitely not up to the usual quality of CBC sports.

Artemis
03-21-2008, 01:35 PM
See my comments in the thread titled "worst camera work ever" (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=26190)

As I said there, I can live with them not sending Kurt, Tracy, et al. over to Sweden -- it's not quite as good, but they can still do a decent job from the Toronto studio. But buying the local camera feed, for this event anyway, has resulted in some disasterously bad footage.

I can also live with the late-night schedule (I have a DVD recorder, and I'd be recording it anyway to keep my favourite performances) ... but I don't like what this says about CBC's views toward skating. CBC Sports has always been hockey first and everything else second, but they have done at least some prime time coverage in the past. Mind you, I'm not really surprised, given that they didn't even bother to cover any of the GP events this year (CTV did Skate Canada), or the GP final, or 4CC. It's all fine and good if you get Country Canada, but a very small percentage of the country does.

Bailey
03-21-2008, 02:18 PM
No, I'm definitely not surprised given the fact that we haven't seen any other footage of the Grand Prix Series. And I've been very annoyed every Saturday as CBC has chosen to broadcast cross country skiing, every downhill and Super G ski event, curling, and a variety of other amateur sports while ignoring the sport of figure skating. This week, I've been annoyed that they have chosen to broadcast their regular programming - because I'm sure people will be upset if Wine Confidential, The Border, or the Halifax Comedy Festival are pre-empted. These choices tell us exactly what the priorities are at CBC and I'm so disappointed because they should be trying to promote the sport and the skaters as they prepare for the Vancouver Olympics. It's not those of us who are willing to stay up late and/or tape the broadcast, but they are loosing the casual fans who will watch and become interested in the sport if the broadcast is available and accessible. It's just so frustrating to me...

sk8tmum
03-21-2008, 04:57 PM
I've been watching the entire event live and then in encore on CBC Country Canada; it's been great, especially seeing ALL the skaters, not just the top 10. And, for all that she gets it wrong sometimes, PJ Kwong's low key delivery is a pleasant respite from bubbly and perky and yippy commentary :lol:

Artemis
03-21-2008, 05:01 PM
And, for all that she gets it wrong sometimes, PJ Kwong's low key delivery is a pleasant respite from bubbly and perky and yippy commentary :lol:

Oh, is that who it is? I wondered. They're using her commentary on the web site video too -- and I agree, the low-key approach is better than constant chatter.