View Full Version : When computer geeks become skaters...

deannathegeek
03-05-2008, 12:44 PM
I've been working on a comprehensive skating reference website and am looking for feedback. Please keep in mind I just started this last week, and have had little time to work on it. Thanks!

http://www.skategeek.net

jazzpants
03-05-2008, 01:56 PM
This is the right place for this thread, but I can't help but think that you'll get more feedback from "On Ice - Skaters." Dunno... maybe our beloved moderator, ISk8NYC will make the decision for 'ya! :P :lol:

Let's see... I can think of one off hand given my upcoming competition:

You plan your periodization for the last month before your competition and when to taper off to keep yourself fresh for the comp. Your figure skating personal trainer equates the period where you build up on your program runthrus with your alpha and beta period where you get out the bigger and nasty software bugs and the period when you taper off and skate every other day with the later beta and release candidate period where you run regression testing to make sure the existing stuff is running fine. (i.e. it should run on auto-pilot and pass.)

And yes, personal trainer was a software engineer too. Knows when I mean when I said that I have a major software release coming up in a couple of weeks. :lol:

Query
03-05-2008, 06:52 PM
Obviously you think we need yet another skating board website. :frus: I think skatingforums.com is currently the best of the bunch from the skater's perspective, and does pretty well.

I think moderators of such forums have to work really hard to keep things clean and on-topic. Just look at the Yahoo groups that aren't moderated.

Skate@Delaware
03-05-2008, 09:35 PM
I think Query is right. You should list www.arenamaps.com (http://www.arenamaps.com) under rinks. And some of your terminology in the glossary needs some "tweaking"...

I do like how you are listing ISI & USFS items.

deannathegeek
03-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Obviously you think we need yet another skating board website. :frus: I think skatingforums.com is currently the best of the bunch from the skater's perspective, and does pretty well.

I think moderators of such forums have to work really hard to keep things clean and on-topic. Just look at the Yahoo groups that aren't moderated.

It's not so much that we need more forums, or another skating site, or any of this. I'm just trying to prove to myself (and to an extent, future prospective employers) that I can do this. I love designing websites. But I keep asking myself, am I any better than anyone else? Why would anyone want to visit a site I made as opposed to another site on the same topic? My goal is to have a comprehensive site that gets at least 100 unique visitors a day by the end of 2008. Not because it's needed, but because I can.

SynchroSk8r114
03-06-2008, 08:04 AM

I also love skatingforums.com, but I'd also like to acknowledge that the skategeek forums do incorporate some different aspects not defined as clearly on this board, for instance, skategeek's "Skate Families," USFS and ISI focused topics, and i's technical topic for questions about jumps, spins, etc.

I don't think as skaters that we need to feel divided over one board being better than the other. I see that both sites have interesting and unique aspects that provide skaters with more resources and outlets to communicate with one another. I, personally, am a member of both synchroboards.com and skatingforums.com. I've also just joined skategeek's forums. IMO, the more skating chat, the better, LOL! Why limit it to just one site?

Let's support each other and advocate one another's sites. I'm sure that deannathegeek's motivation was not to bash or try to outdo skatingforums.com, but to create yet another outlet for our love of the sport.

Skate@Delaware
03-07-2008, 08:54 PM
I just thought of something else to add:

jump tracings...what they are supposed to look like on the ice (as shown in the USFS manual). That would be a nice reference

and maybe some of the other things, like rocker, bracket, 3-turn tracings and add where your freakin' arms are supposed to be at each point in the move ;) !!!!

maybe some training exercises (on- and off-ice like plyometrics, when to use champion cords, off-ice jumps, etc).

i like the graphics-neat & clean, not too cluttered