View Full Version : Skate price

SkatingFanatic!
03-02-2008, 04:29 PM
Is just under £21 wayyy too cheap for a decent pair of skates?
I'd like to get as cheap as poss skates obv but not one what fall to parts after 2 seconds
I read on another forum Decathlon are amazing and someones friend had ones for £30 from there and lasted years

These are the ones I'm on about
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/figure-white-26943639/

Do you think I should take a risk and buy them?

jeeeez you're probs thinking 'HOW STINGY' lol xx

Skittl1321
03-02-2008, 04:49 PM
If you are looking for a recreational skate- then it's probably okay. Recreational meaning- a few times a month, circle around the rink, maybe take low basic skills classes, not recreational meaning "i skate seriously but don't compete." I sure wouldn't jump in those though- there is probably very little ankle support.

The PVC sole means you cannot change the blade. That low level blade is not going to work for jumps or spins.

I had a similiar pair of skates that got me through Basic 4- as an adult- after that, I don't think the ankle support would be enough. I did my forward outside 3 turns, and a tenative waltz jump. I could never do a bunny hop though- the toe pick was just too small.

If you want to skate more seriously, than it's not a savings if you'll have to buy new ones to meet your needs.

CanAmSk8ter
03-02-2008, 05:32 PM
They actually look quite a bit like the first skates I got for lessons. Just to give you an idea, I got through three or four months with them before my group-lesson coach told my mom I needed better ones. I was 11 y.o. and probably 4'10" and 100-110 pounds. Had I been bigger, they wouldn't have lasted even as long as they did. It's hard to tell from a picture, and I don't have any experience with that brand personally because I don't think it's sold in the US, but if you're planning to skate on a regular basis and take lessons I don't think that's the skate for you.

The bigger problem with recreational-type skates is that they generally have really crappy blades. It's hard to explain this to the parents of my younger kids, who are sometimes still light enough that even a poor-quality skate has enough support in the boot. But the higher-quality blade on something like a low-end Riedell will make the upper-end basic skills (crossovers, three-turns, edges) much easier. It will also keep its edge longer, meaning you won't have to be getting them sharpened as often.

One last thing- I tell my students never to order skates online unless you've had a couple pairs of the exact same skate and you're positive your feet are done growing, or you've been measured by a competent professional who told you exactly what size, width, make, and model to get. The most important part is the fit. Also, most skate shops are willing to order multiple sizes for you to try, return boots to the manufacturer if there are problems, and include things like boot stretching, punching out sore spots, heat molding, sometimes even waterproofing the soles and the first sharpening FREE if you buy the skates from them. Put together, that stuff could run you quite a bit of extra time and money if you order the skates online.