View Full Version : Lessons

SkatingFanatic!
02-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Do any of you have lessons frequently? Or do you learn by yourself?

I have the odd lesson but not as much as I would like :cry:

Its the money you see lol how much is a lesosn at where you guys skate?

I'm trying to convince my parents for more lessons x

I skate on my own all the time though but its meant to be bad because you pick up bad habbits hehe x

Helen88
02-28-2008, 12:24 PM
I skate twice a week, with one half hour a week, at £15. I probably don't push myself to learn new things without being asked by my coach enough, because yes, I'm afraid of picking up bad habits.

Skittl1321
02-28-2008, 12:38 PM
I take a 30 minute group lesson once a week (about $90 for 8 weeks) and a private 30 minute lesson once a week.

I wouldn't be able to learn on my own. I think I'd prefer to take a private lesson every other week- but my deal with my coach is the rate he gives me is only if my lesson is each week.

deannathegeek
02-28-2008, 01:29 PM
As part of my rink's figure skating team, I can take as many classes as I want at both locations for one monthly fee. I take advantage of this as best as I can, taking two half-hour classes on Wednesday evenings and three half-hour classes on Saturday mornings. I could probably take another two on Tuesday nights if my husband didn't already have his activities on that night. I also practice on my own twice a week, going to the rink by my workplace during my lunch hour. Between my monthly figure skating club fee, public skating fees, freestyle fees, and the fees to have my blades sharpened, I spend close to $150/month. It's definitely worth it to me because I love it so much. I feel healthier when I skate, and it's been a big help for me since I quit smoking.

jcookie1982
02-28-2008, 03:43 PM
Before I got pregnant, I was taking 1 group lesson and one 30 minute private lesson a week. I don't really think its possible to teach yourself, because you could be doing it all wrong, an never know it.

SynchroSk8r114
02-28-2008, 04:54 PM
I currently am taking three lessons a week with three different coaches: 2 are for my freestyle (Intermediate) and one is for dance (Golds). And, I guess you can say I have four coaches when I work with my dance partner, but that's not consistent--just before tests--so I don't really count that. LOL, makes me feel like I'm saving money.

Overall, I pay about $91.00/week when I work with all three of my coaches; $121 when I have my regular three and my dance partner. Yeah, yeah--cha ching, right? But I've been coaching for about 8 years, so I don't feel as bad about spending the money. It's gotten me my gold in Senior MIF three years ago and I'm on my last 4 Gold dances, so it's definitely worth it. :lol:

Coaches at my rink range in hourly rate from $40-72.00. My hourly rate falls inbetween there and I coach everyday but Tuesdays, so for now I am lucky to be abke to afford my passion.

Muskoka Skater
02-28-2008, 08:26 PM
I skate 3days a week and get 4lessons a week 3 of the lessons are for 1/2 an hour and the other is 15mins. All my lessons are free with the club, but when I compete and go to test days to costs lots of money.

dbny
02-28-2008, 09:27 PM
Moderators - can this get moved to On Ice?